Why wildmask when we have the Subnet Mask

While configuring the routers, i came across some of the commands where we use wildcard masks instead of subnet mask, so what is the use of using wildcard mask when subnet masks can solve the same?????

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Good question. Wildcard Mask denotes the standard configuration of any network segment you wish to assign. The Wi-fi and Ethernet routing is different and so is their subnet masking system. Wildcard mask makes it standardized. Plus it allows you to globally allot the settings over all the concerning networks. Irrespective of your V-LANs.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Can you please explain the above? I mean how the subnet masking system of wi-fi and ethernet are different, and why can't we use subnet masks as a standard?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    lovejeet
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Can you please explain the above? I mean how the subnet masking system of wi-fi and ethernet are different, and why can't we use subnet masks as a standard?

I think it is better I give you a detailed link to study this.
    Mask comparison: subnet versus wildcard - PacketLife.net

For the difference in Wi-Fi and Ethernet, in automatic mode, the access point may vary from the point of connection. In that case, the device may capture some mask which would not be intended and may vary from connection pattern.

Actually WCM and SNM are mirrors in some sense. WCM offers more flexibility than SNM
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok, this dates back in history and is related to electronics to some extent. Firstly, subnet masks are used to derive the SUBNET to which a host belong. for example- consider the IP address 192.168.1.1/24 => the subnet mask here is 255.255.255.0 and the network to which the host belong is 192.168.1.0 .
    How did we derive the network IP? by 'OR' ing the subnet mask and the host IP.

Now , widlcard masks are used to deduce /indicate the HOSTS for a given network. When you configure OSPF , you write -network 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 0 , which implies - " consider all interfaces with IP 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.255' . Here you perform a logical 'XOR'.

wildcard masks existed all from the start of internetworks to indicate the HOSTs IPs what can be configured, subnetting (CIDR )was introduced only later somewhere in 90s when we had to break the network into subnetworks.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung knows India is an important market for their galaxy series of smartphones, tablets and phablets. According to a latest leak from Sammobile, the Samsung Galaxy Note III will be...
I would like to know that, from which version of kernel, zRAM was included. (Now it is merged, but I would like to know the last latest version before zRAM...
Online content publishers around the globe, if Google Adsense is where you score your maximum website revenue from, this is one post that demands your attention. And yes, advertisers need...
I just observed that today we had a lot of traffic here. Its the most I am seeing after nearly 2 weeks. Good going. I think it is the impact...
I am pursuing my engineering degree under Vishveswarayya technological university(VTU). so please suggest me some effective books in NETWORK ANALYSIS.