Why Twenty-20 rocks?

September 2007 brought a fresh new lease of life to the game of Cricket with the awesome innovation of the Twenty 20 which is all about hit, hit and hit at least as some people perceive. But the truth is far from this, really ! One thing is unanimous though, 20-20 has swept one and all through their feet and is a roaring hit which has vroomed past even faster than the fastest of the F1 cars !! Casual sports watchers and die hard cricket lovers are going ga-ga over this new form of cricket and how!

Its magic is there for everyone to see. And in a beautiful place like South Africa plus you add a cameo of strategically (?) dressed dancers/ entertainers/ cheer-leaders whatever you may call them, good music its a win-win combo anytime. But one thing is for sure, the core of the game stil remains the same in spite of the fallacies pointed out by the purists... The fact is, one team still tries to score runs and the other tries to stop it in doing so and chase the same in a role reversal in the second innings. Its just that the duration has been cut down; its like reducing all the ups and downs and periods of nothing happening in your life (Thats test cricket) to a few good weeks with their accompanying successes and heart breaks (Thats one day internationals) to the most enjoyable day in your life (Thats Twenty 20 for you).

The greatest fear among the cricket aficionados has always been that ODI's will kill the finer nuiances and subtleties of test cricket and one can only imagine how petrified they might have been with the latest avatar that has come around. The fact is, as a prophet might say, nothing really dies; it just changes into something else, something even better and thats always good for us in general. So stop whining people, the game has only got sharper and skills have become even more important and technique (yes, technique) has got to be even more crucial. The sloggers may win a few rounds but the overall war will be won by the methodical hitters and wicket takers and agile fielders !

There is absolutely no scope for making errors now, one false move and you are doomed. Isn't that perfection at its best? Isn't that sport is all about? Isn't that what everyone wants to see in a sport, from start to finish? That's precisely why the 100 meter sprint garners more global attraction than the 1500 meters race, though it requires tactics, speed and endurance in equal measure. The analogy of cricket can be extended to the Marathon, 1500 meter race and the 100 meter dash and the picture becomes crystal clear... The difference lies in the scope of recovery element thats somewhat absent in the shorter version, for overcoming a fault. Its cruel, but then ultimately a better team wins, irrespective of its past record. Amazingly 20-20 does give you a chance to stage a fightback. You can bowl badly and still win; you might get bundled out for a negligee and still win; I mean thats really the beauty of the game, isn't it?? A match can dramatically change in just 6 excruciating balls of an over.

The real test of the game lies ahead. What will it displace in the long term? Will it be exciting at the same level in bilateral tournaments too? Indeed, a matter to ponder over is, how will it fare in a cricket crazy nation like India where the stadiums are like dilapidated relics and the fans still quite primtive?

Please do post your views and comments on this blog by clicking #-Link-Snipped-#. Your posts will be appreciated !

P.S.: These views are heavily borrowed from the article by Bobilli Vijay Kumar in the Times. But rest assured, its the best way I could express it my way !

Replies

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    One word ... Cheerleaders 😁 😁 😁

Just kidding πŸ˜€ ... nice article Suyash. An afterthought, if 20-20 does replace ODIs, then is it not a sign of faster times ... the normal viewer does not have the time of the day to sit for so long a time ... initially it was 5 days ... it was shortened to 50 overs (6 hours) and now .. just 3 hours.
  • mahul
    mahul
    yeah t20 is a very edge of ur seat package..an absolute delight 2 watch..these days i find it increasingly tough to find time & enthusiasm 2 watch the other forms in spite of being an avid cricket fan.but i somehow managed 2 watch all the t20 games!!
  • suyash
    suyash
    hello everyone...
    if you enjoyed (?) reading the gibberish above... you can take a look at another of my post on 20-20 cricket on my blog...

click T-20 Cricket - Indian team is the World Champion ! to read the same !

P.S.: Big K, if the above post amounts to "re-directing" , and ain't allowed then it will be all right with me if you delete this post 😎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    suyash
    hello everyone...
    if you enjoyed (?) reading the gibberish above... you can take a look at another of my post on 20-20 cricket on my blog...

click T-20 Cricket - Indian team is the World Champion ! to read the same !

P.S.: Big K, if the above post amounts to "re-directing" , and ain't allowed then it will be all right with me if you delete this post 😎
    Chill, Suyash! I'm not a bad guy, or am I? πŸ˜”

Its okay to link to your blog or any other useful site. We are anti-weasels, not anti-people.

πŸ˜€ , Keep Rocking!

-The Big K-

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all , I hope here i will get a chance to meet real engineers😎 Regards, Rock Mech, make the world !!!
Hi , Pls. tell me diffrence between cat-5 and cat-6 cable. Thanks
websites Hi all, please tell me.............some pcb related websits and blogs.... Thanks.
hey frnds, i recently found this out.if u select any folder and give it this extension (including these braces) {21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} then u will find that opening the folder takes u...
Comport monitor is a simple and useful application monitoring PC-RS232 (COM) port .You can sent and receive bytes with this application . Also you can see bytes received in hex/bin/decimal...