Why transmission voltages are multiples of 11?

WHY ARE ALL THE VALUES OF VOLTAGES OF TRANSMISSIONS ARE IN MULTIPLES OF 11, MEANS 11KV, 33KV, 110KV, 220KV.? MY TEACHER ASKED US THIS QUESTION. PLZ HELP.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Look -

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Do post your thoughts 😀
  • sree_23
    sree_23
    why the transformers in transmission step up/down at the voltages which are multiples of 11..,like 33kv,66kv,121kv,etc?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Take a look at these threads: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • pinank
    pinank
    its been a convention from olden days... there is no specific reason to it...
  • Sparker
    Sparker
    its not that it must be multiple of 11. Actually in olden day the used the multiple 1.1 i.e. formfactor for sine wave ,so that computation will be easier on design.its not 11 ,its 1.1 and its not compulsory.Infact not UHV,HVDC are not multiples of 1.1 .
  • sree_23
    sree_23
    certainly thanks a lot frnds who have replied me with the apt answers😀😀..............
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    sree_23
    certainly thanks a lot frnds who have replied me with the apt answers😀😀..............
    Nice to see your active involvement here. But a little of topic It will be even more better If you can avoid SMS language here in the forums
  • ani the legend
    ani the legend
    KARAD123
    WHY ARE ALL THE VALUES OF VOLTAGES OF TRANSMISSIONS ARE IN MULTIPLES OF 11, MEANS 11KV, 33KV, 110KV, 220KV.? MY TEACHER ASKED US THIS QUESTION. PLZ HELP.
    depends on the form factor .... for a.c its 1.11
  • sree_23
    sree_23
    oh yeah i accept what you say....., i'll do so😀.....
  • sree_23
    sree_23
    oh yeah i accept what you say to avoid message language ....., i'll do so😀.....
  • Akhilesh Garud
    Akhilesh Garud
    ani the legend
    depends on the form factor .... for a.c its 1.11
    is there any exact relation of its dependency on form factor?
  • eris
    eris
    I hope it s dependent on RMS value n form factor. . Both r directly proportional to each other
  • m.b
    m.b
    please frnds try to answer it as I have been lukng for it for a long ago
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    Only extra high voltage systems(super grids) have voltages in multiples of 11. I think because those transformers have 1:11 or 11:1 ratio. Simply guessed, don't know anything about that.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This is one of the most favorite questions asked by electrical engineers on CrazyEngineers 😀 . Check the following discussion thread -

I'm merging the discussion threads.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey Big guy Why not pinning this thread here That would solve the extra load you guys already have Do so man
    The_Big_K
    This is one of the most favorite questions asked by electrical engineers on CrazyEngineers 😀 . Check the following discussion thread -

I'm merging the discussion threads.
  • shiv786
    shiv786
    form facto is rms value upon avg. value
    and value of form factor is 1.11 for transmission
    so in my opinion that's the reason.....
  • n.rajeev sharma
    n.rajeev sharma
    it is due to form factor

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

TATA Social Enterprise Challenge, is a joint initiative by the TATA Group and the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIM Calcutta) and a National Level challenge to find India’s most...
Less than 36 hours left for New year dawn & I know some of you might've planned to do something,it maybe scoring good marks,achieving your goal,or working on your personal...
I've been told that most of the project teams create websites to showcase their projects. I wish to know what all information is posted on such website? I want to...
hai ce friends. I want to do my project on telecommunications pls give me a good topic or good projects.
sir i will be geting cdac noida so can any one suggest me to go with noida and any reviews of acts noida specilly for DESD pls guide me it...