Why transformer is a passive circuit?

Why transformer is a passive circuit?

Can anyone help me out in explaining why transformers are considered as passive circuits. Transformers performs by stepping up/down voltage/current,changes low input power to high output and vice versa.

But these are the basic definitions of an active device.A transistor also does this.Then why is transformer called a passive device?

Updated Answer-

A transformer is considered a passive device because it does not generate energy by itself or add any new energy into the circuit. Instead, it merely transforms the existing electrical energy from one voltage level to another.

The active and passive designations for electrical components do not have anything to do with the function or the amount of power they can handle, but rather the ability to introduce net energy into the system.

Active devices, such as transistors, can amplify the signals they receive because they have an external power source that allows them to output more power than they receive.

They introduce new energy into the system and can generate a larger output signal than the input signal. They can also perform other functions like oscillation, signal detection, or modulation, among others.

On the other hand, passive devices, such as resistors, capacitors, inductors, and transformers, cannot generate energy by themselves or increase the power of a signal.

They can only change the existing energy from one form to another or store it and release it later. In the case of transformers, they can step-up or step-down the voltage level of an alternating current (AC) signal, but the output power (considering ideal conditions) remains equal to the input power. They can't output more power than they take in.

So, even though transformers can increase or decrease the voltage or current, they're passive because they are not adding any extra energy to the system.

They are simply transforming the form of the existing energy without any amplification.

Replies

• chandujntu
    chandujntu
    Active components are those that have gain or directionality... Transformers simply convert one voltage level to another . but are not related with any gain terms. In case of transistors we have both gain and directionality features... Hence, transistors are active devices while transformers are passive..
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Harish3h,
    A passive device is one which do not use its power or charge i.e; any active component for working of devices.In case of transformers it is the no.of turns of winding which is constant is used to merely step up or down voltage or current.
    The magnetic flux is linked with the coils due to current flowing through the coil and nothing more.Hence Transformer is a passive device.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    not only these frequency also plays role in transformer as it is ac device so u can also concentrate on frequency i think it may be not the exact ans for ur question but it may help u so iam posting anyway if i found ans i will post again
  • harish3h
    harish3h
    Thank u guys.. i'm enlightened
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Transformers performs by stepping up/down voltage/current,changes low input power to high output and vice versa.
    In a transformer the input power and output power are the same....! i.e, V1xI1 = V2xI2,thus you get V1/V2 =I2/I1.... this is transformer ration...! By the way an Active element is the one that produces a Voltage or Current.... i.e a potential source or current source ,battery etc..! Transformer doesn't produce any power voltage or current...! hence its not an active component in a circuit...!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, As many of you requested, we should have offline meets where CEans can come together and interact face to face. We've decided to make CE Meets an integral part...
As I declared earlier, we are planning to make CE Offline Meets an integral part of CE. I request all our CEans from West India to provide us with a...
HI Folks , i got an idea as present days piracy has been tremendously influenced the indian film industry, using RFID how to detect a device like camera and to...
Persistent Systems Limited, a Pune based 'Outsourced Software Product Development Company' is looking for acquiring companies in the North America for $10-15 million, reports ET. CEO & MD of Persistent...
The problem with entrepreneurs is that they won't usually give up easily. I continue to think that there is a huge need for a place where people can ask their...