Why this job application got rejected?

I've decided to post this sample covering letter sent to us by a job applicant. The application is for the post of author on CrazyEngineers to write for our engineering & technology blog 'VoiCE'. This application, unfortunately has been rejected just by looking at the covering letter.

My main purpose of posting it here is to highlight the mistakes many applicants make. I think everyone will learn something through this mail and avoid these mistakes while applying for any job.

Here's a direct copy-paste of the main body of the letter -

I am been following your site from long term now I would appreciate if you can let me know what is the best suitable way to approach your organization as its my privilege to be able to write you this mail directly and willing to be a part of organization and contribute my skill sets in terms of writing daily articles on different innovative topics as its my passion to write articles and would like to take this opportunity not as my daily work but as I am following my passion irrespective of any commercial bondage because learning and excellence are more important then earning.

Your response is awaited kindly revert back on the mail as soon as possible.
As suggested, I've added the reasons for rejection later in this thread. It'd be interesting to see how many of you see problems with this application.

Replies

• mail154
    mail154
    Thank You. I Take Care in Reading and Clearing the Problems in Sentences upto my Knowledge. I Love to Use Punctuations and Pressing Shift Key in the first letter of some words ๐Ÿ˜€ thanks for the info. ๐Ÿ‘
  • mail154
    mail154
    You May Better Ask It As A question without giving us the reasons and find how many CEans found the problem..then at the end you may give the reasons why it was rejected.. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think that's a better idea. Editing the first post now and pasting the answer below.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here we go-
    -----

(First) Impressions of the recruiter -
    1. The candidate lacks basic sentence construction skills.
    2. There are grammar mistakes. Even the spell-check suggestions have been ignored.
    3. There are no punctuation marks.
    4. The applicant has taken no pains to re-read his/her own application - which may be an indicator of casual approach this candidate has towards the job.
    If selected for the job - this candidate would need a lot of handholding. This candidate needs to work on his writing skills before he/she can be considered for the post of author or blogger.

Here at CE, we don't require the candidates to be English Ninja; but expect them to know the basics of the language to a greater extent.

Points To Note:
    1. The recruiters are very hard pressed for time. The attention span to any application is very limited!
    2. Use common sense. If you are applying for the post of 'writer', you're expected to be fluent in all of your written communication.
    3. Your first impression matters. A LOT.
    Looking forward to your opinions & thoughts.
  • mail154
    mail154
    Cool Big K. Thanks
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ๐Ÿ˜ Too many as'es! (And that is not even a word)
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    my skill sets in terms of writing daily articles on different innovative topics as its my passion to write articles
    I think applicant is enthusiast reader rather than writing.

I am not a Grammar Nazi but reading cover letter itself feel odd.
    If applicant would have re-read this letter, 2-3 hours after finalizing it first time. He/she would have identified most of the problems.
    revert back : is a common error and most annoying.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Interesting article on rediff. What's your take on this?
As scheduled, Google has unveiled the new Nexus 7, the sequel of the much appreciated $199 7-inch tablet of 2012. As soon as the event was over, fans began to...
Let's collect the best study material available for CDAC entrance exams including books, websites, PDFs, eBooks, MCQ lists etc. I'm refraining from making suggestions here and would request all the...
What exactly is the working principle of the Odometer in autos ? now i am wondering whether the odometer will deflect, if the vehicle is moved by towing ? Tagging...
CDAC has developed WiTraC - India's own wireless traffic control system that runs on solar power. The center for development of advance computing is globally known for the development of...