Why There Are More Number Of Tyres At Rear ?

why there are more no of tyres at rear of buses and trucks...is it related to roll stability of vehicle

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rajshekhar k h
    why there are more no of tyres at rear of buses and trucks...is it related to roll stability of vehicle
    My general guess is that since the rear tyres have to bear more load than the front ones; they put more tyres. You may put more tyres on the front; but that'd cause make the vehicle less manoeuvrable.

PS: I may be wrong.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Notice tyre pressure in bikes and trend of remaining pressure while refiling air ☕
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    rajshekhar k h
    Rear wheel drive(correct me if i am wrong), I think the more surface area give more grip and stability while the time of accelerating with heavier loads.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My general guess is that since the rear tyres have to bear more load than the front ones; they put more tyres. You may put more tyres on the front; but that'd cause make the vehicle less manoeuvrable.

PS: I may be wrong.
    To add to big k point
    If types are added at front it increases the width of tyre and it increases the steering difficulty.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    lighter the tyre in front, more easy to handle the vehicle. when we talk about two wheelers. But the reason for having a wider tyre at the rear is that it gives more grip and stability to the vehicle while driving...
    Here I would like to give a good and explanatory example. With commercial vehicles with smaller tyres, its hard to bend the bike while taking a U turn. But in terms of racing bikes, where wider tyres are present at rear, the bend is very easy. This is because more wider tyres, it means more surface are which leads to more contact with the road as a result to more stability.
    But there is a fact about having wider tyres at rear. With the increase in 1 inch tyre at the rear about 3 kmpl mileage is lost by the vehicle...

PS: Correct me if I am Wrong....
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    vikaskumar11233
    lighter the tyre in front, more easy to handle the vehicle. when we talk about two wheelers. But the reason for having a wider tyre at the rear is that it gives more grip and stability to the vehicle while driving...
    Here I would like to give a good and explanatory example. With commercial vehicles with smaller tyres, its hard to bend the bike while taking a U turn. But in terms of racing bikes, where wider tyres are present at rear, the bend is very easy. This is because more wider tyres, it means more surface are which leads to more contact with the road as a result to more stability.
    But there is a fact about having wider tyres at rear. With the increase in 1 inch tyre at the rear about 3 kmpl mileage is lost by the vehicle...

PS: Correct me if I am Wrong....
    You are correct bro but he is asking about number of tyre in rear and why in some vehicles more that two wheels are used in rear alone.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    The reason for more number of tyres at rear is to distribute the load & provide stability while driving uneven long distance.
    A vehicle having 6 wheels (2 front , 4 rear) can work with 4 tyres also (2f, 2r) but, will not get the balance to ride on the road. the two external tyres are used only to provide balance , grip & stability to the vehicle

I'v observed in multiaxle trucks that during the full load condition they use all the tyres but after unloading they lift the pair of middle once.Multiaxle trucks .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Adding another device to feature the pure Android experiences, LG has announced the LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition. Earlier, we saw the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4...
As the HTC Desire brand becomes more and more popular in India, the ones who wan't an alternative to Samsung and Apple smartphones are fast opting for HTC's new range...
My father today read me an excerpt from a newspaper on the topic - Tablets can not replace Laptops & Desktops. He was curious to know what the young generation...
i want to do projects using accelerometer for the mini project. and i am not able to find a good topic. can anyone please suggest me some topics that uses...
There are a lot of chemical engineers with us here and one of them started a conversation with me here on CE asking if I know the best companies for...