Why slip ring motors are being replaced by drives for industrial purposes?

why slip ring motors are being replaced by drives for industrial purposes?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    State the industrial purpose for which you are looking for
  • renu sharma
    renu sharma
    for the purpose of using pusher cars in industrial batteries consisting of coke ovens where coal is converted into coke at very high temperatures. these days drives are used in pusher cars. previously slip ring motors were used. so what is the advantage of using drives and not slip ring motors?
  • lal
    lal
    Slip rings motors may be replaced with squirrel cage induction motors. Is that what you meant? Squirrel cage motors have an added advantage that those are extremely rugged and need little maintenance.

In machines with slip or split rings, there need to be some way to transfer current to the rotor, which are the brushes. Brushes need to be replaced periodically and maintained well for perfect operation. In squirrel cage inductions motors, there aren't any requirement for brushes. That itself is a big advantage.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends, I am using Terminal and Hercules terminal utility. Please suggest if there is any good terminal utility other than these. Regards, Harshad Italiya
Compared to single stage evaporative coolers, two stage coolers are more efficient, but the added stage takes up considerable space and is costly to manufacture. For this reason, two stage...
I recently learnt that the best color to make an umbrella for use inn summers is to have white surface on the top and the bottom surface painted black. What...
Hi guys, How to reduce heat in laptop. is there any product available for reduce heat in laptop.
guys, i want to read magazines based on microprocessors and embedded systems.could anyone suggest any magazines????????