Why Should We Select You? - The Best Answer Ever

Why Should We Select You? - The Best Answer Ever

Imagine you are interviewing for your dream job. The payscale is good, you like the company and the interviewer looks friendly.

Then, they pop the question: “[name], tell us why should we select you for this role?”.

You knew that this question will be asked; but you are not prepared. You respond with the most obvious, repetitive, rot-learned, boring answer the interviewer has heard from all the 10 other candidates she has interviewed that day.

Do you think the interviewing manager will have any motivation to offer the role to you?

Don’t worry. You are a member of CrazyEngineers, and it’s our duty to make you stand out in every interview, be it technical or HR; and grab that dream job offer.

In this article, I will share the best answers you can offer to the interviewer whenever they ask this question.

We will look at different answers for experienced professionals, fresh college graduates and those with no experience.

Ready?

Why Should We Select You?

The best answer for this question is as follows-

Certainly, you might consider me for this role due to my passion for learning. This [mention the domain] is an ever-evolving field and staying updated is a necessity. For instance, recently I undertook a course on [a topic that you recently learned] which significantly sharpened my problem-solving abilities. It was an enriching experience, which I look forward to applying in practical scenarios.

Moreover, I'm a hustler, with a knack for teamwork and problem-solving. [Share an example, however imaginary, from your last project or company]. We not only resolved the issue but also finished ahead of schedule. This go-getter attitude, my skills and experience and adaptability, is what I bring to your team.

Why this answer sets you apart?

1. It offers two, not one, reason for the interviewer.

2. You immediately back your claims with real-world examples. That is you took a course and prove that you love learning.

3. In the second reason, you showed interviewer that you actually solved some critical problem.

4. Memorize this answer word by word and play it back when the interviewer asks the question.

5. You are telling stories of how ‘heroic’ you were in solving problems. Everyone loves good story. Keep that in mind.

Answer for Candidates with No Experience

Now let’s look at the answers to “Why should we select you for this role?” when you have no experience in the domain.

Certainly. I have a profound passion for [this field]. It fascinates me how [mention something specific about the field that you find interesting].

Eager to immerse myself fully, I bring a wellspring of energy and unwavering dedication. I am genuinely excited about the prospect of working with you, contributing my innovative ideas, and evolving alongside the company.

Given the opportunity, I'm confident in my ability to bring a fresh perspective to your team and drive [specific outcome or project] to new heights.

Answer a Fresher May Give

If you are a fresher (a fresh graduate), just out of college; you might find it difficult to answer this question. I’ve seen that most of the interviewers ask this question during campus placements.

The expectation from students is different.

The biggest problem hiring managers face is that newly recruited fresh graduates do not stay with the company for long. Most of them look for new jobs right after two years.

So when the ask you about why they should hire you, answer from a very different angle -

[Sir, Madam], I am passionate about [relevant domain] engineering. While studying engineering, I realised the immense potential in this domain. I see a very successful career with your company.

I learned about all the good things about the culture at your company and I am excited to become a part of it. I am looking for a long-term future with your company.

Why Should We Select You for This Role?

This question is bit different. Note that the focus entirely shifts from ‘you’ to the fitment between you and the specific role you are interviewing for.

In order to answer this question effectively, you will have to identify the following-

1. What are the specific requirements of the role?

2. What unique experiences and skills you bring to the table

Let’s take an example. Let’s say you are interviewing for the role of Team Leader which requires deep knowledge of Java programming language.

You have about 4 years of experience. Here’s how you can answer it-

Absolutely. I recognize that this Team Leader role calls for not only an in-depth understanding of Java but also the capability to guide and manage projects. This corresponds seamlessly with my professional journey thus far. In my four years of immersive Java experience, I have navigated complex coding challenges and consistently ensured timely delivery of solutions.

Notably, in my most recent project, I often assumed a leadership role, directly interfacing with clients and spearheading discussions in the absence of our team leader or project manager. This experience has honed my leadership skills and project management abilities. I am confidently prepared to embrace this role, driving effective project deliveries while leading and inspiring our team

Please modify your answer based on the role you are interviewing for and your unique set of experiences.

Why Should We Select You for This Course?

Sometimes, when you are enrolling for a new course, the interviewers want to know what your aspirations are. That’s the reason they are curious to know why should you be selected for the specific course.

The key to answering this question effectively is to match your unique skills and the course output you expect.

Best Answers:

Following are top three answers that you can offer when you are asked why we should select you for this course. Take a look -

Highlighting Passion and Commitment

One of the main reasons why I believe you should select me for this course is my passion and commitment to the subject matter.

I have always had a keen interest in this field and have constantly pursued knowledge and skill development in this area. This course is a natural progression of that interest, as it will provide me with in-depth understanding and structured learning that I crave.

I am not just looking at this course as a means to a certificate or a stepping stone to a career. Rather, I see it as an opportunity to delve deeper into a subject I am truly passionate about.

This commitment, I believe, will not only ensure my successful completion of the course but also enrich the discussions and learning environment for my fellow students.

Simplified Answer:

Highlighting Passion and Commitment

I love this subject. This course aligns with my interests. I'm committed to learning deeply. I'll bring a rich discussion. I will complete this course with success.

Memory Tip: Think of the phrase "Passionate Learner" to remember this answer.

Demonstrating Relevant Skills and Experience

I come with a solid foundation in this field.

Over the years, I have accumulated knowledge and experience that aligns perfectly with what this course offers.

The skills I've developed in my academic and professional journey so far will help me grasp the course material more effectively.

I have a proven track record of applying what I learn in real-world situations, and I'm confident this will continue as I progress through this course.

Furthermore, I am also adept at collaborative work and am eager to bring my experience and perspectives to the table, which could contribute to a diverse and interactive learning environment.

Simplified Answer

Demonstrating Relevant Skills and Experience

I have the right skills for this course. I've been in this field. I grasp new knowledge quickly. I'm good at working in teams. I'm ready to share my views.

Memory Tip: Remember the acronym "RSVP," standing for Relevant Skills, Valuable experience, Participative.

Illustrating Growth Mindset and Future Impact

It would be my growth mindset and future aspirations. I believe that education should never cease and that one should always strive for continuous improvement.

This course aligns with my personal and professional development goals and I am committed to making the most of it. After completing this course, I intend to apply the acquired knowledge and skills to make a significant impact in the relevant field.

By selecting me for this course, you will be investing in a student who not only values the learning but is also focused on utilizing it for the greater good.

Simplified Answer

Illustrating Growth Mindset and Future Impact

I believe in continuous learning. This course helps me grow. I have big goals. I'll use this learning for a bigger purpose.

Memory Tip: The phrase "Grow and Impact" can help remember this response.

3 Simple Tips to Build Your Answer

Let me present 3 powerful tips to build your answer to convince the interviewer that you are the best candidate for the role and they should hire you.

I have personally used these tricks to crack several interviews I appeared for:

1. Understand the Job Requirements: To tailor your answer effectively, you must fully comprehend the specifics of the job. This includes the skills, experiences, and qualifications they're seeking in a candidate. Once you understand these, you can highlight how your own skills and experiences align with these requirements.

2. Share Unique Qualities: You want to stand out from other candidates, so it's vital to share what makes you unique. This could be a specific experience, a particular skill, or even a distinctive approach to problem-solving. Provide concrete examples to support your claims and demonstrate your impact.

3. Convey Enthusiasm and Long-term Commitment: Employers are more likely to select candidates who show genuine interest in the role and the company, and who are likely to stick around for a while. Convey your passion for the work, enthusiasm about the company, and indicate your intent to contribute to the company's goals in the long term.

I hope you found this useful. If you have follow-up questions, I will be happy to answer them for you.

Replies

• yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    In one interview session two friends apply for the same post and they faced to the same interviewer and the inerviewer asked the above question in a different manner to 1st friend that why should we hire you between you two friends.then the 1st friend answers that i have cleared the degree and my friend has 2 reappears,i have better communication skill and my friend has hesitated a bit and this is all and now it depends on you you select which one.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Why should you hire me because, I think and ofcourse i am sure that i have the necessary skills required for the job and i know everyone has the skills but apart from those skills I have a positive attitude and i am honest as far as I know.

I am a quick learner and can get accustomed to good environments.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    And it is stupid to say that you are the best among others, its only good to tell then what skills you have in a positive way.

You can always include examples which you have done in the past and explain your leadership experiences.. Never ever say that you are better than so and so person..
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    I think all the questions including describe yourselves, this one and any other of the same kind have only one answer. Tell them what they would like to hear. Tell about your skills and achievements if you've any. Skills are most important and you must make sure you emphasize on skills that are relevant to the job. As I even said earlier in some other thread. If you're there for a software developer job, no matter you know how to build a rocket, you're not suppose to emphasize that. You'll emphasize the programming skills you've rather than something irrelevant.

You tell them your skills, achievements which would be a quantitative entity that could be compared with others and easiest way to prove you're the best (if you're) without you mentioning it. After all, a gold bar need not tell its a gold bar. It's shine and other characteristics implicitly conveys its identity...😉
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    I faced a slightly different version of this question. How do you justify the compensation you are asking for? And this was 3rd question since the interview started. I told him he should first evaluate my capability before we settle on a compensation. He was adamant. I walked out of the interview.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Inviting more replies on this one. @#-Link-Snipped-#, @#-Link-Snipped-#, @#-Link-Snipped-#, @#-Link-Snipped-#, @#-Link-Snipped-#, @#-Link-Snipped-#, @#-Link-Snipped-#, @#-Link-Snipped-#, @#-Link-Snipped-#, @#-Link-Snipped-#, @#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    As a freelancer when I apply for any job then this is a very common question that clients ask " why should I hire you" and I just answer them.

"I believe I have all the skills you need for this Job, I know How to do things in fast and efficient way, also I am among very few who knows what they are doing, when they write code"
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    1) if you think I am the right person which you are looking.
    2) You will give me a chance to increase your company shares.
    3) Because I am a member of crazyengineers 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    This question is a very good chance of presenting your communication skill (Not English fluency) .
    discussion followed by this question shows your presence of mind with a straight forward or as a negotiator and any organization needs both.

I would say,
    I didn't meet other candidates so, I can't say I am the best. I have cleared the technical round so I have the technical capability you are looking far.
    After this Interviewer going to interrupt you with some question, if not keep continuing with I did Blah, I am quick learner in blah and blah awards I got.
    Whatever the following conversation do not compare with other candidates. Talk about your past experiences and show them you have rich experience in handling situations.
    You are a good listener and have presence of mind.

PS: @#-Link-Snipped-# should have selected right after this. 😀
    Anand Tamariya
    How do you justify the compensation you are asking for? And this was 3rd question since the interview started. I told him he should first evaluate my capability before we settle on a compensation. He was adamant. I walked out of the interview.
  • Chinmay sharma
    Chinmay sharma
    if i was asked these question then i replied that you first test my ability for your offering post and when i am not able to fulfill your requirement then i said u that u should not hire me for these post........
  • lal
    lal
    "You know that better than me! I would have already left the scene if I wasn't fit enough to be here."
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    I think a person with blend of sound technical knowledge, leadership skill & ability to cope in varying environs is best suited for this position & I see myself as a perfect match for the same. 😒
  • J Biswas
    J Biswas
    "The company has a job to be done. I 'xyz' as a candidate, can fit here and solve this and get the task done. You can be best assured of sincerity, dedication and responsibility from me. I'll prove worth to this company because its is my career, which I need to excel."

However, we never ask this question to our fellow members, neither do I have ever faced this myself in my past.
    Our hiring method is a bit different. We talk for 1-2 hrs with candidates so judge their willingness and innovativeness, and then give a real work problem to solve. The candidate can take 3-4 days time to solve and come up with a solution. If he/she gets through, we see approach and select else reject. 😀 At times people don't turn up, people who are back are really confident and gel well with us.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    You should hire me because this is your only shot at making your company awesome. Else Mass recruitment is too mainstream. 😛
  • avii
    avii
    In my last interview I had told them simply: 'I am awesome' (even Objective part of my resume also says same ;-) ). I was hired next moment. (though I had to reject the offer for another reason.)

Whatever the answer you give, just be confident. As an interviewer I really don't care, I would just like to see how you answer (not what you answer)
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    What do others have to say about this? Tagging a few more people.
    #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Manashree Thokal
    Manashree Thokal
    For fresher interview, this would be my answer-

Why should we select you?
    .. "Because I have the required skills. Also- As a fresher, the energy that I have when coupled with your experience can create the best of performances. "
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    In such a situation, I'd probably just say: "Sir, I believe I'm quite versatile and a quick learner suited for the job. Try me and see if I fit that void in your puzzle!"
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Anoop Mathew
    Try me and see if I fit that void in your puzzle!"
    It gives wrong meanings bro. Dont try that. 😛
    Its like, pehle istemaal kare phir vishwaas kare. 😁
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Nayan Goenka
    It gives wrong meanings bro. Dont try that. 😛
    Its like, pehle istemaal kare phir vishwaas kare. 😁
    AAH...Alright. I wasn't thinking straight. At work. Been 1.5 years since I felt the urge to attend an interview. 😒
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Beat this

a9dBVXj_700b_v4
  • avii
    avii
    ^people actually do that. Some dude hacked into Larry's (or Sergey?, don't remember) Gmail account and emailed Sergey saying there's this dude and they should hire him. He was hired instantly. Someone also did same thing with Zuckerberg's FB wall, don't know whether he was hired or given bounty.
  • avii
    avii
    Here is the link about GMail hacker - #-Link-Snipped-#

However I could not find any info hiring him or may be I am wrong/forgot.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    "lets say, if you do not hire me, then you have as much to lose as i do. opportunity knocks only once, so think about it".
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I would like to invite all the newbies & regulars members around here to answer this question.

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# What answer do you think can get you the job? 😁
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    “Well, I believe, I have all of the skills and experience that you’re looking for and I’m confident that I would be a doing good in this role.
    It’s not just my background leading successful projects — or my people skills, which have helped me develop great relationships with developers, testers, and senior managers alike. But I’m also passionate about this industry and I’m driven to deliver high-quality work.”
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    While discussing this over with a bunch of final year students, I heard someone say, "I am a fresher and my ability of innovative thinking and technical skills is going to add value to the organisation."

I was just thinking, if one does say that in an interview at a big MNC, the interviewer must be thinking - how can this lad add value to this organisation?

Tall claims and all is fine, but my best guess is that, when they ask "Why Should We Hire You?", they want to know what are the things that set you apart from the bunch of people sitting outside the interview room waiting for their call. Show me something that's the biggest highlight. Show my why your resume trumps over the other pile of resumes sitting on their table.

It's really important to understand exactly why the question is being asked. I think the skills worth highlighting can be one of these -

1. Dedication to work
    2. Quick to learn
    3. Know a particular tool/technology really well (Level: Master!)
    4. Enthusiasm for self-improvement
    5. Leadership qualities
    6. Social skills

^ You have to back each of it up with an appropriate real-life example.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Would like to tag newbies #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# to know how would they answer this question. 👍
  • Debasmita Banerjee
    Debasmita Banerjee
    Tough one and faced more frequently in general. I think my answer will be much more dependent on the different scenarios that might happen. Let's take the most difficult situation in hand, and anything simpler would be a ''differentiation'' of that, making the highest power 1 low than the previous one
    Suppose if there's a single prestigious post and 1000 applicants with no known face at all, I will probably be in the toughest situation of all. If this particular question is asked to me I would say the following, I think.
    "To be bare honest I have no such gold mine with me which can benefit your company in one single day neither I think my qualifications can make me stand out of the rest with greater advantage as I don't have any idea about other applicants but what I know about myself is that I am sincere and innovative enough to add some extra things along with others to your company which will help your company in long run. And I believe in freedom of knowledge and creativity, If your company can support my thoughts there's no way I can fall short of the works in hand to do. My qualifications might be a plus but what matters to me in life is to extend the roots much deeper with every passing second. I think it's my attitude and originality ultimately which will make me beneficial to your company."

There's also one thing, I don't like the idea of wearing formal Shirt ,Pant with tie in the day of interview. It seems fake. I will probably wear my regular black tee shirt even on that day.
  • Tomson Thomas
    Tomson Thomas
    Now that's a very tricky question, isn't it?? If I was the one doing the interviewing, I would ask the candidate this question to sum up everything about them... Their capability, confidence with which they reply, self worth....you know, the qualities, both positive and negative, which I would use to determine if I/the company would benefit from hiring them. If I was asked this question, I would say, " well, sir/ma'am, I don't know if you consider me the best among everybody present for this interview, but I certainly consider myself the best. Not because of the much heard "I can do anything", but because I will do my best to accomplish the task at hand. I am a perfectionist, and i hate leaving anything at less than a 100%. It is impossible for me to leave something unaccomplished or unfinished. You can be sure that any task I'm assigned to will be given my best, and my wholehearted attention. And sir/ma'am, I am not someone who gives up.." 😉
    I wonder if this is too much.. 😛
    But the answer would change considering what I know about what the interviewer wants, and a variety of other factors....
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    Well to answer that,I guess it would be the value system that would gel; though it's something one can tell only when a person gets to work in the scenario. Discipline,a vision for the bigger and better, no compromise with the ideals or goals,mutual respect in case of differences, exploring new ideas,adding your bit to things no matter however small;is how anybody 'grows' as an institution as well as an individual. I guess you guys are the best opportunity for all of this.And since a person's worth or success can never be claimed to be of his doing alone,we grow together;as a symbiotic association thereby, benefit manifold. The other things Ankita mentioned are yes of course there too which would only get tested with time😀 and work.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Wonderful answers by #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# I am sure other job applicants might be making mental notes of what they could use from these.

Inviting more answers - How would you answer the "Why should we hire you?" question. Share with us and see what fellow engineers think about it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Why should we hire you? Informative video here:

Key takeaways -
    1. Outline your answer before going inside, so that you can answer with confidence.
    2. You should be short and to the point. Sometimes the interviewer may but you short if you are too descriptive.
    3. Review the job position and draw points about how you are the right person for the job.
    4. You can match your existing skill set to each bullet point in the job description (That you read on the website or in the newspaper).
    5. State your interest in the position. Be enthusiastic about the opportunity and within a certain team. Be sure that the interviewer knows how interested you are.
    6. Do not rote learn your answer. Be flexible and modify the points as per the flow of the interview and the kind of interviewers you have in front of you.
    Also, watch out for the two examples at the end of the video (Start At 2:50).
  • Mohammed Ali1694
    Mohammed Ali1694
    According to my point of view I would say:
    "I've positive attitude towards my life and work because negative attitude arises when you don't have the confidence in ur work and I knoe dat I've confidence in my work which will help me to perform the job efficiently and effectively..."
  • md aftab alam
    md aftab alam
    I'll try my best n one thing may be m d one who looking u r
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @MohammedAli1694 Good answer. Needs a little polishing. It'd be great if you supplement your answer with details of how exactly your skills match their requirement criteria.

#-Link-Snipped-# Good English is, sadly, crucial to getting a job. It's best that you take Spoken English coaching and stop using sms language immediately. All the best.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I've said this before, and I'll repeat - the interviewers are actually wanting to know if you can be hired to work on their teams. It's always a personal connect that matters. 

That does not meant should will get selected even if you don't know a thing about the technology or role that you're being interviewed for. 

The best answer to "Why should we select you", is something that convinces the interviewer that you are willing to learn and are serious about the role that you're interviewing for. 

I'd say - avoid comparing yourself with other candidates. Do not even care to talk about how you are better than others who are interviewing for the same job. It's the job of the interviewer to decide that and they know how to do it.

Here's what I'd answer -

Thank you for the question. Ever since my childhood, my family has taught me the importance of owning responsibility of my actions. It's perhaps one of the most difficult things I've been taught in life and now it's a strong part of who I am. That said, this job itself looks quite exciting to me and something I'd really love to take; if given a chance. 

I'm aware that I may not be the 'best' candidates you'll interview today but what I can guarantee is that you'll have the fastest learner on the job. I believe what I know today can be improved and I'm willing to do that in this job. I hope you'll consider me.

Analysis:

When you bring up words like 'childhood' and 'family' - you're already touching strong emotion 'buttons'. Then, you follow with words like 'strong', 'responsibility', 'best', etc. Those are the words that register in mind quickly and enhance your chances of getting selected. 

Keep in mind that, why should we select you is not a casual question that interviewers will ask towards the end of the Interview. It's your chance to turn the interview in your favour. 

I hope this helps. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

In my case there was only one occasion when this question came up. With one difference: I was the one who asked the question.

In IIT M one of my responsibilities was with the Chemical Engineering Instrumentation Lab. We had a lot of German control instruments and routine experiments. I added some creativity in making students make sensors from ground up. Very crude ones like a bimetal sensor made by soldering strips of copper and iron foil together. The sensors worked. Students were thrilled and continued with the routine experiments with more zest. The German professor asked me to go to Aachen in Germany and work with him.

Around this time Prof George Burnet, Chief of Chem Engg a IOWA State University (He was involved with developing the Uranium enrichment by Gas Centrifugation for the Manhattan Project) came to India for a Indo-American Academic programme.  I worked with him at an advanced Summer School programme. He suggested that I could join him at the Iowa State University for research work.

Though in Chem Engg department, I used to work very closely with Prof. S.Ramaseshan, then HOD Physics at IIT M. He was asked to set up a major materials science and technology division at the National Aerospace Lab. He mooted the idea that I should leave IIT M and join NAL. I told him about the other two options and asked why I should choose NAL. He said that the others were routine. What he was trying at NAL was something new, tough and creative. Eminently worth doing.

The curious thing is that as in academic discussions in those days, the discussion completely bypassed designations or salaries. The work content was what was supposed to be the inducement for a person to take up an assignment. The others were incidental.

I joined NAL. Only when my first salary came we found that I was getting Rs.10 per month less than in the previous job. Ten rupees mattered somewhat in those days. There is a government rule that a person should not be paid less than what he received in an earlier appointment. I was paid the difference (a princely sum of Rs.120 for the year) as an ex-gratia payment. I crossed that hurdle when I completed a year.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can someone here explain how Python can be used in web browsers to control, create or manipulate the content within a user's web browser, or a web-based technology in a...
In the last 2-3 years, Samsung's emerged as one of the biggest 'seller' of Android, because all the company's flagship phones have been powered by Android operating system from Google....
I've been experimenting with Twitter apps on Android, and have found that the latest official Twitter App available in Play Store seems to be the best option available out there....
So, Cygwin is not a full operating system and therefore it relies on Windows for accomplishing some tasks. For example, Cygwin provides a POSIX view of the Windows filesystem, but...
A friend told me - "Oh, so you haven't heard of Candy Crush game on Android yet? ..What world do you live in?" and out of sheer curiosity I installed...