1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Why PDF to Excel or Word or other conversion does not retain formatting?

Question asked by Kavya Burramolla in #Coffee Room on Feb 4, 2020
Kavya Burramolla
Kavya Burramolla · Feb 4, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

It would be great if somebody can help me with the simple way to convert PDF to other formats of file. I always get the documents in PDF format and when tried converting to Excel or Word online it will result in something that will take huge modification time. And somehow I make a word or an excel even when I convert it again to PDF it will not be as expected. How to sort this? Can someone help me?

Posted in: #Coffee Room
saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Feb 4, 2020
Rank B3 - LEADER

There are templates, so why you are converting is the first question?

Secondly , the tables are handled differently in different software so the online converters will convert to some extent but not everything will be correct.

Let's say you have a policy document, if I convert it to word I can edit it and if I edit it I can submit it as a tax proof so the formatting will be different. 

If you are genuinely converting something and of you have difficulties upload here so that I will take a look.

Kavya Burramolla
Kavya Burramolla · Feb 5, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Firstly I'd like to thank you for the valuable response. Answering your first question - I receive all the documents in PDF format and I choose to convert it to either excel or word and edit the content and then again I convert the word or excel file back to PDF. What are the templates you are discussing about? Are there standard or templates for editting or converting PDF? Kindly clarify.

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Feb 5, 2020
Rank B3 - LEADER

For editing a pdf document, you have acrobat software available. What i meant by templates is , you pdf is a kind of fixed width ,and have known entities. What I mean by that is , you have an image at the start say company logo and you have some free text fields, and later you have a table having all the information.

If you are trying to convert using online editors , if there are images it doesnt work. If its just text it works, but you have to observe one thing, that is if you convert a pdf to doc, you might see the doc is not formatted correctly, but if you edit and re-convert , the formatting will be still there. (Again might change from case to case basis)

Swarup Pan
Swarup Pan · Feb 14, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

There are 3rd party online editors always available for quick conversions and most of the cases it wont make any difference when you try to convert.

But in some cases there would be problems regarding the image or tex-image kind of things.

If these kind of add-ons are with the main content then you should go for some acclaimed software tools to do the conversion like Free Studio.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up