Why NOT a Detailed Forum?

Hey Guys,

It's been a few years since CE is going on, and it has appreciably reached a great level. I feel that there are a lot of topics which are well debated in each forum (especially the debate masterminds).

I've a suggestion that i'd like to put forward. With each forum, can an Index be provided so that the list of contents are easily visible? I believe that most of us have our time constraints while browsing the internet; so even if i start reading all the posts on a forum, i'll never be able to cover them all. I believe that with the help of an Index and Sub-Categorization of all the topics into particular details, we can easily attract more attention and provide better concepts to the world, let alone enrich ourselves easily.

Tagging is a good method to start, but with an Index of Contents and Categories and Sub Categories to each forum, we can enlarge this website.

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.

Anoop

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    yes atf index thread was already started to see the dead threads #-Link-Snipped-# by our cean
    but i think it is also meeting its death let make us alive by posting thread links there so even that thread may be alive
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's a nice suggestion. However, since new posts and threads are being added every day, I'm not sure whether maintaining an index is a good opinion.

That said, every section lists threads in the form of Index. I hope I understood your suggestion. If not, please let me know 😀
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    narayana murthy
    yes atf index thread was already started to see the dead threads #-Link-Snipped-# by our cean
    but i think it is also meeting its death let make us alive by posting thread links there so even that thread may be alive
    I was thinking of a better solution than a thread; a html linker installed somewhere on the top of the page or as a whole new page, just to show the index to all other categories and sub categories and then threads.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    The_Big_K
    That's a nice suggestion. However, since new posts and threads are being added every day, I'm not sure whether maintaining an index is a good opinion.

That said, every section lists threads in the form of Index. I hope I understood your suggestion. If not, please let me know 😀
    Actually this is being implemented in a forum i saw a few weeks back. Pardon me i do not recon the link. I was hoping to sub categorize each forum so that the relevant topics are given more stress. It's easier to see the posts with the addition of more sub forums. And moderators can easily divert the threads based on the titles that are given in the sub forum. Later on the new threads can be posted in the sub-forums. For eg: In computer science engineering, we could create a sub forum with programming languages, then in the programming languages, we could create C++, Java, etc, and like wise sub-categorize each forum. Then after the work is done, we can simply give an index link to each sub forum, just like the table of contents in your textbooks.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    @biggie : i think we can have a site navigatiion map or TOC by which we can show exactly what topics in the list and the thread can be in hierachical format for each section.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    cooldudeiet
    @biggie : i think we can have a site navigatiion map or TOC by which we can show exactly what topics in the list and the thread can be in hierachical format for each section.
    Yes, a Navigator is the word!!!
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    The_Big_K

#-Link-Snipped-#: Is it possible to reduce the size of the post bars, so that more posts are seen per page? It is really heart-breaking to go through all the pages especially with a slow internet speed. I was hoping we could avoid the unnecessary signature advertisements and concentrate on the posts. This in turn will enhance the appeal of the forum and make it look more professional. You could actually give the advertising links with the sidebar (along with the location and join date), or else mention it on the bottom as a small link.

P.S.: Just found this thread now mate, so tagging you #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's one of the things we've been constantly experimenting with. Advertisements are an important part of the forum which keep the forum going. Else we'll have to figure out paid subscriptions - which I'm not sure will work or not. If you are talking about not showing member signatures to guests, then we can definitely look into implementing this immediately. We need more votes for this update from members.

We do not show any advertisement to logged in users which acts as an incentive to be logged in.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sub forum is some thing you know which is very attractive and also highly beneficial

This also reduces the load of regulars and Newbies in the following aspects
    • Allows easy tagging of other threads
    • Easy clearance work for the MODS
    • Easier interface among other regulars
    • Decentalisation of Posts in any forums into sub forums
    • This prevents high level of request posts

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the placement procedure for Cisco? Could someone share the details of it? I have heard the Eligibility is - 1. 70% aggregate marks or (equivalent scores) throughout in...
hiiii......... do anyone know how to play the psp games on pc??? do i require some specific emulators??
Hello Sir...!!! Can you please suggest me some projects based on communication & microcontroller...
Guys almamate recruiting freshers for graduate engineer trainer. Can anyone tell me more about them. Is it kind of institute. They just trained students.
Post Edited...... PS:- If you really want to advertise on CE then please Contact Admin.