Why Most Of The Latest Gnome Applications Specifically Written In Vala ?

Since I came to know that most latest gnome applications are written in Vala, My urge of learning it has increased at it's peak.

As far as I know, Vala code on execution generates C code which is then compiled by GCC & all this happens without affecting the execution time & speed of the application.
My main question is : If Vala, in the end generates C code only which is compiled by GCC; then what is the need of writing applications in Vala & not C ?

Gnome is not there to fool around, right ?
What is the technical reason behind it ? Why Vala in Gnome applications & not pure C ?

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    Abhishek Rawal
    Since I came to know that most latest gnome applications are written in Vala, My urge of learning it has increased at it's peak.

As far as I know, Vala code on execution generates C code which is then compiled by GCC & all this happens without affecting the execution time & speed of the application.
    My main question is : If Vala, in the end generates C code only which is compiled by GCC; then what is the need of writing applications in Vala & not C ?

Gnome is not there to fool around, right ?
    What is the technical reason behind it ? Why Vala in Gnome applications & not pure C ?
    Actually Vala makes coding relatively easy for developers than C, as the codes which are complicated to write in C are written easily in Vala.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Generally the idea behind using new language is to provide more functionality and make it easier for the developers. Though if in the end it's going to generate C code, I am not sure if you can add much features. But as far as I have read about it, it does add some interesting features over C. So, I guess that should be the reason.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello all, I just wanted to know wat is the use of MLDB Panel...and wat are the compaonents used in its design,i know its full form i.e. main lighting distribution...
Hey Guys, I wanted to tell something about CEoM contest. It is one unique thing I have ever seen which is started here on CE where the admin is actually...
This leviathan with eight numbers of 3 meter dia tyres may top Guinnes Records for dump trucks. https://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/02/worlds-largest-dump-truck-video/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: weblogsinc/autoblog (Autoblog) Admin: Adding Video To The Post:
Quote Five physics discoveries with the potential to transform the world have been selected by a leading science magazine for its 25th birthday issue. Quantum computing and science that could...
Those looking for patent applications from India or granted patent to Indian applications can look for them here - https://ipindiaservices.gov.in/patentsearch/search/index.aspx This website is under the control of Government of India's...