Why is transformer efficiency higher than motors or generators?

Can someone tell me why is transformer efficiency is higher than motor and generator? Transformer efficiency is generally greater than 95%, while that of the motors its ~70%. Both are electrical machines, so why's such a difference between the efficiencies?

PS: Edited By Admin. Added more description to make the question clearer to understand.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Transformers has copper & core loss.
    Motor or Generator has Mechanical loss (Friction loss & Windage), Core loss (Stator core & Rotor core) & Copper loss (Stator Cu & Rotor Cu).
    Hence Generator/Motor has less efficiency than transformers.

I will suggest you Electrical Machines by B.L.Theraja .It's like Bible for me for EM.However I don't have any problem in answering the question 😀
  • pinank
    pinank
    generally the copper loss are negligible in AC machines as the reluctance is much more than the resistance.. so taking this into consideration the transformers have core loss bt motors and generators have frictional in mechanical losses...so the efficiency of transformers is higher!
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Maybe i think #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# have a point

motors and generators have moving parts, and frictional losses as well as transmission losses at the bearings take place, which however do not take place in a transformer.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    All the same comes Harmonic generation in rotating parts loss in harmonics are also prevalent in these rotors reducing efficiency rapidly
  • Henri
    Henri
    generally,most of the energy losses in transformers are minimized effectively and again they are few,,,for instance eddy currents being minimized by use of soft iron core.....but motors and generators have so many energy losses especially due to moving parts,,remember transformers are kind of static with only flow of energy taking place whereas motors are dynamic and with lots of moving parts...considering friction and other factors makes them less efficient
  • revathi.geeda
    revathi.geeda
    efficiency of transformer is higher than that of motors why??
  • sunil kumar singh
    sunil kumar singh
    As the transformer is a static device so the windage and cupper losses are not present ,but motor or generator are not static device so windage and cuuper losses are present ,therefore the efficiency of motor or generator is less than the transformer,in transformer only cupper and core losses are present and its effinciecy is more than 95% and the effinciecy of motor or generator is approx. 70%...
  • MANISH KUMAR
    MANISH KUMAR

The efficiancy of trasformer is high because there are no dynamic losss it is a static device

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I was working on optimizing SQLs and tuning some long running queries and was stuck with this. Is it possible to insert data from one table to another in...
Looks like Google's project glass has made many electronics giants across the world rethink their future plans. The latest USPTO filing lists that even Apple's secretly working on wearable gadgets....
This thread is dedicated to all the Civil Engineering subjects and relevant book suggestions. Discuss / suggest books for each of the subjects included in civil engineering studies - Admin....
i want to know to some intersting project which we can do during our enng. period.....
Considering that a particular lead acid battery of given voltage and ampere-hours is to be charged by an electric machine such as a dynamo or an alternator, then what should...