Why is java called so?

I am Pallavi Agarwal and I am a computer science engineer. I wanted to know why the programming language Java is called Java? Can someone please explain this.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: why java is called so??

Do we have James Gosling here? ๐Ÿ˜

James Gosling created new programming language in 1991. He decided to call it C++++ ! James was told that he cannot name a programming language like that. So, the new language was called Oak (as the story goes, Gosling named the language while staring at the Oak tree from his window).

The name "Oak" was later dismissed due to a patent search which determined that the name was copyrighted and used for another programming language. ๐Ÿ˜”

Finally, the language was named after coffee during Gosling's visit to a local coffee shop! ๐Ÿ˜€

That's why the name JAVA!
  • maqsood
    maqsood
    Exactly..
    Java is a spanish word meaning to coffee
  • Alien
    Alien
    N we r learnin how to drink coffee!!! gr8 ,,pretty nice info ๐Ÿ˜€
  • gohm
    gohm
    I'm suprised nobody tried making up a fake accronym to explain java
  • shashank gupta
    shashank gupta
    java is said java because it is a name of a coffee.
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    JAVA is JAVA only (it is not an Acrynom)
  • iamcrazy
    iamcrazy
    hahha so what should it be..
    can i order java
  • saurabh
    saurabh
    thanx i didnt know it....
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Join Against Vista and Apple

๐Ÿ˜›

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm currently learning Python as a new programming language, and discovered that Ruby is pretty much similar. However, in terms of web development, Ruby scores with Ruby on Rails (eg...
how do we tell weather the processor is 8-bit or 16-bit or ....???
my project is CDMA simulation in MATLAB program can any person help me in my project plz ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”

Hi,

Hi everyone, I am D.Sathsh kumar doing my bachelors in Materials Science and Engineering in Anna Umiversity, Chennai...
Guys, Please suggest me good, worthy GMAT training institutes in chennai. Thanks, Bizhy