Why don't bicycles have single lever for both brakes?

We've discussed bicycles through various discussions. While we've discussed about the overall innovation in design, we almost ignored one of the most important components of the bicycle system - the brakes. Traditionally, the bicycles have two levers to be operated by each hand corresponding to the front and rear brakes. I was wondering if there'd be any advantage of having a single lever to control and apply both brakes at a time?

Would that create problems or result into better braking mechanism?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It has probably to do with the mechanical inaccuracies of the system.
    The available angular movement of the brake lever is fixed. If one or other brake has worn out more than the other and one lever operates both, then that brake will hold less or not at all.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Even if one of the brakes gets worn out, the other should continue to function as an independent brake like it does in current bicycles. I'd like to know whether using both brakes simultaneously is a good idea or not. If yes, why? If not, what's the reason?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The theory is that If only one brake is used it has to be the rear brake. If the front brake alone is applied, there can be a hazard due to the inertia of the vehicle acting on the immobilized point of contact of the front wheel with the ground. Under certain conditions this can lead to toppling.
    Since the brake action is related to the force applied by the hand pressing the lever it will certainly be better to have both brakes acting simultaneously.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd like to know whether using both brakes simultaneously is a good idea or not. If yes, why? If not, what's the reason?
    Applying both breaks simultaneously is best for BIKES, it give sturdiness and quick stop.
    In Bikes, rear wheel pushes the front wheel while acceleration. So I think there should be different break pressure while applying break. Mostly both breaks simultaneous with front one little gentle and rear one with harder press give very good result for stopping Bikes.
    But if there is only one break for both wheels then, how it should be calculated that how much breaks should be applied on each wheels individually.

PS:I am taking Bikes means both motorcycle and bicycle.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Using individual breaks for both rear and front wheels makes sense in motorcycles. What about bicycles?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If you have single lever to control, what if it fails?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes all are correct in some point of view.I really agree to Ramani sir answer about the moment.As you are saying that a common lever for both front and rear brakes, If the lever is cut out it can lead to accident(because we will be not able to apply both front and rear brakes) added that if we ride the bicycle at high speeds and if brake os applied through single lever , It may skid forward.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Heard of the "combi-brake system" in the Honda Activa ? well in this, one of the brake levers is connected to both the front and the rear wheels.

well i know that i am discussing a motor-scooter in a thread meant for bicycles, but they both count as two-wheelers, don't they ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    but they both count as two-wheelers, don't they ?
    Yes, but as chalk and cheese. The precision of machining and assembly in the two are quite different.
    zaveri
    Heard of the "combi-brake system" in the Honda Activa ? well in this, one of the brake levers is connected to both the front and the rear wheels.

well i know that i am discussing a motor-scooter in a thread meant for bicycles, but they both count as two-wheelers, don't they ?
    Yes today hero motor corporation had said that it will be introducing new technologies which were used in cars.One of the system is know as "IBS"-Integrated braking system where both front and rear wheel brakes were connected to a common lever.Along with this Hero also ready yo introduce Stop start system and electronic immobilizer.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes today hero motor corporation had said that it will be introducing new technologies which were used in cars.One of the system is know as "IBS"-Integrated braking system where both front and rear wheel brakes were connected to a common lever.Along with this Hero also ready yo introduce Stop start system and electronic immobilizer.
    what is this electronic immobilizer ?
    zaveri
    what is this electronic immobilizer ?
    Electronic immobilizer is vastly used in four wheelers but presently not available to two wheelers.Hero Motor Corps would be the first to introduce it in two wheelers.

Electronic immobilizer- is a anti theft device which helps in securing vehicle from hot - wired(by passing the ignition circuit).
    In this type of device, key will contain a small circuit which should activate the ignition process.It will be controlled by Electronic Control Unit.
    refer following link to get a clear idea: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    There are different usage for front and rear brakes in any vehicle (including Bicycle). just take an easy example -

You are going down from a hill, applying front brakes will have you topple over the handle, similarly going up the hill will have the topple effect when you will apply rear brakes.

Sliding, skid, topple are the few things that depends on the front and rear braking.

So regardless that mechanically it is possible to have one lever or not, i don't see much of the benefit of this. Correct me, if this doesn't make sense?

-CB
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Anil Jain
    You are going down from a hill, applying front brakes will have you topple over the handle, similarly going up the hill will have the topple effect when you will apply rear brakes.
    Not really. Front brake leads to the toppling tendency whether one is going up or down hill or on flat ground. Please check the inertia issues and you will find out why.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    here is latest, not cycle but new Honda CB trigger have combi breaking system.
    If you apply rear break front break will automatically applied to give you smooth and better breaking.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The number of unemployable engineers in India is increasing, the way Indian population explodes. Exactly what is going on here? Did the software industry, which are service based, impoverished the...
Quote: Developed in 2011 by Jamie Beck and Kevin Burg, cinemagraphs are GIF images that combine still photography and video to produce a stunning effect. Typically, the entire GIF is...
Whether you are a plant operator looking to up skill your staff or new to the industry looking to advance your career, these training is for you! Respected leader in...
HI guys, I am currently working for Wipro IT (8 months).My engineering background is EEE. During my second year of engg, i figured it out that i wanted to do...
Minimalism gone bonkers! This deserves an IgNobel Prize. Japanese Engineers harvest 1 mW (That is right One Whole Milliwatt) from outside a working microwave: https://gizmodo.com/other-kitchen-devices-can-harness-power-from-your-micro-1356914791 CEan of the universe, no...