Why does a low wattage bulb glow brighter than a high wattage bulb in series connection?

If there are two bulbs connected in series to 230v supply, why low watts bulb glow brighter?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Low watt CFL bulb grows brighter than ordinary filament bulb cos they use different principle than that of filament lamps
  • lal
    lal
    Well, let us consider two bulbs in series. A low wattage bulb has higher resistance than the high wattage bulb.

When connected in series, the same current will be flowing through both bulbs. Let it be I.

Power output = I X I X R

R is higher for low wattage bulb. So It will glow brighter.
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    The higher-wattage lamp has a lower resistance than the lower-wattage lamp. So, when they are connected in series, the larger voltage drop (IR) will appear across the lower-wattage lamp. As power is proportional to the square of the voltage, it is the lower-wattage lamp that will be the brighter.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd launched GALAXY S4 Zoom today. The phone is being seen as the amalgamation of the company’s flagship Samsung Galaxy S4 and the GALAXY Camera. The Android...
What is the maximum time limit from the time of batching, RMC can be used at site?
plz help about this project
We have always considered Kinect to be the gold standards when it comes to gesture control, but as you might be aware it uses an infrared sensor coupled with the...
People are constantly making fun of people who use hashtags on Facebook because hashtags do not function as a categorising tool as they do on Twitter or Instagram, but all...