Why Do We Treat Engineering Exams So Seriously? Life Doesn't Stop!

I remember during my engineering days, exams would be the worst time of the year for me and most of my friends. We didn't have semesters back then and would have to take exams for all the subjects of that year in one shot!

But now, few years after graduating; it all seems stupid. Those who scored exceptionally well in exams haven't done well 'equally exceptional' in life. Now I'm using the most common definition of 'success' ( money + status ). Most of my friends who were toppers work in the same company, at the same salary & position as my other friends who never went beyond 60% in engineering exams. They even have the flats of the same size as that of others and even have a very similar set of problems as others.

Come on! So the question is, what did the toppers achieve 'extra' by studying harder than others, attaching 2x extra supplements to answer sheets, missing out all the movies and all?

The whole point is, exams had almost no impact on our futures. Yet we treated them so seriously. Those of you who are in engineering and those who've graduated; what's your take? Am I wrong?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Taking exams seriousaly is genetic ๐Ÿ˜จ.
    Everyone wanted to do the best in exams. Some took it seriousaly because they fear of fail, some do to achieve respectable mark and some do for top rank.
    I felt that achieving marks in exam and doing well at workplace/career are completely different.
  • Rini.V
    Rini.V
    they pleased the teachers and created an impression on their minds for a span of four years atleast
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The whole point is, exams had almost no impact on our futures. Yet we treated them so seriously. Those of you who are in engineering and those who've graduated; what's your take? Am I wrong?
    Some people get benefitted by the marks they get in the exams. Like the toppers. Some companies give them an offer to skip the aptitude rounds and GD rounds and call them directly for the interview. Makes things simpler for them.

Apart from the toppers, I don't know why everyone else is worried. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    If you can believe me, I know a ranchhoddas Chanjhad. He gave his interview in Marathi. The interviewers were so amazed that they offered him job instantaneously. But he isn't sitting.

That Ranchhoddas Chanjhad hasn't scored more than 60% and has designed 15 machines and patented 7 of his designs.

Even so, our group has never scored very well, no body of us is even bothered. #-Link-Snipped-# I remember you saying, those students who got great package and secured high grades, will always have to be satisfied with the same package for 10 years. Their growth stops.

The moral of the story is, you should not be book worm ๐Ÿ˜€
  • avii
    avii
    The_Big_K
    But now, few years after graduating; it all seems stupid. Those who scored exceptionally well in exams haven't done well 'equally exceptional' in life. Now I'm using the most common definition of 'success' ( money + status ). Most of my friends who were toppers work in the same company, at the same salary & position as my other friends who never went beyond 60% in engineering exams. They even have the flats of the same size as that of others and even have a very similar set of problems as others.
    Spot on ! My research also says same. Those who scored 90+ are also in Infy & those who were just 60%, are also. All earn same.

And ironically I am one of those shameless topper who likes your post ๐Ÿ˜›

The_Big_K
    Come on! So the question is, what did the toppers achieve 'extra' by studying harder than others, attaching 2x extra supplements to answer sheets, missing out all the movies and all?
    I thought I'd get a girl ๐Ÿ˜

On a serious note, I don't see myself different from others who score less. I have done nothing useful in my engineering except mugging up, puking in exams & getting good 9+ CGPA to boast ๐Ÿ˜

One word Big_K, marks are useless & they don't gauge intelligence of a person, in Indian Edu System. More marks only show the great power of mugging ability* ๐Ÿ˜›

*just like me ๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello sir.could you just help me to know that is there any device that reduces the room temperature automatically when we place that in room?if so please let me know.thank...
Worlds First working "Wind Powered Car" invented in Sri Lanka.โ€‹ โ€‹โ€‹ This was built by a young Sri Lankan engineer Nilanga Senevirathne Epa. The sad story is he had never...
I am Rini from chennai. doing final year Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I am also a singer(carnatic). How can i utilize this site more effectively?
Anyone here studying from above mentioned colleges ? How is faculty etc ? for higher studies in MTech or Research... Thank you !
I've been getting messages that the social networking giant, Facebook has began banning several accounts that used a most common Hindi slang word that begins with 'C'. While the derogatory...