Why do people seek free lunch?

I just received following email in my inbox. I'm sharing it with you to get your comments -

From your site i got a good seminar topic "Visible Light Communications"

But i didnt get enough data abt it to present it.......So please give me the report and ppt of VISIBLE LIGHT COMMUNICATIONS
What do you say?

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I've got the materials for that topic! Contact me at #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Dude ๐Ÿ˜ , you know what? People are going to write to that mail ID. I bet a dollar on that!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    lol, you're right.. that is quite possible!
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    ash

๐Ÿ˜ you got me for a sec..i thought, now this is ironic ash offering free material in this thread, until i actually read the e-mail addres..

i got a similar PM a couple of days back.wanted "info" on vickers hardness test and what not!!

i remember a similar discussion a couple of weeks back. i guess, it is largely due to our attitude..we don't want to move a muscle but at the same time, we'd like to see some "A"s in our grades!!

it could also be due to the fact that people don't know how to use the library, no scratch that- i forgot people don't use the library any more..that people don't know how to use internet for research..

While i was doing literature survey for my project, i collected at least 100-150 research papers on topic similar to mine...this combined with other stuff i got off the internet, my literature survey folder was about 150 - 200 MBs maybe more!!
  • smita89
    smita89
    ha ha ha nice one ash ๐Ÿ˜

I myself HATE the fact that people want such ahem "help". I do LOTS of research before giving seminars and it totally pisses me off when people use Ctrl+C/V. The internet is a VAST resource people. Won't hurt you to hit a few keys, read a few lines, make a few slides.

As a added bonus, you might end up using the thing God made for us called "brains" ๐Ÿ˜
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    *brains*....
    one thing which is available abundantly ...but seldom used!
    @Ash,what if I did not read that email ID with patience? I was kind of sure it was a pitfall ๐Ÿ˜.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I personally believe asking for "ideas" is OK! But asking for ready made presentations and reports - What the... sorry.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    i received more than 5 mails everyday asking for project ideas if i replied back them then withing hour or day i received request to give them ready circuit and everything. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Perhaps we could sort of suggest ways of how to research effectively? How to use library resources, best sources to search from, etc.

We have to make it clear that it is not what type of research we end up with.. but more so the skills and diligence we develop in carrying it out. I think even using the Internet makes students kind of complacent and a little lazy.. especially when Wikipedia is used as the main reference rather than just a starting point.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Good thread idea Ash, although I doubt it will reduce "free lunch" requests. I laughed so hard in reading the e-mail address. Even in many threads we have posted(including Biggie's example) that we will assist & help but you do the work & yet still the "free lunch" requests. Human nature tends to predispose to the path of less resistance which in this case is the free work for nothing. sad. We've all done it one way or another. Only to realize you are just short changing yourself.

Should they just be allowed to pile up on the site?
    Should they be deleted?
    Should there be a set, standard reply that can be quickly inserted by mods?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    It's the lack of thinking. The number of Engineering colleges are churning out degree holders. It is like a mass production CNC line. The education system is not making engineers, just producing degree holders. Because if they were making Engineers, we wouldn't be reading the mail Biggie shared with us.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    You've made a good point - colleges are not making engineers they are mass producing degree holders!!

In addition to the "free lunch" requests, has anyone noticed "which course will help me make more money" requests. It seems people do not want to pursue their interests, they just want to make money!!

What is the reason behind this, are the parents pressurizing their children to such an extent that they become mechanical beings that are programmed for one thing only, make money!! Or has today's generation lost its ability to open up its mind and try something off beat just because they have an interest in it !!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ... and I'd not have posted the mail if that was the only mail I had received. In fact, I typically get minimum 3 mails every day.

Maybe CE should take up an initiative to make people aware that 'free lunch' won't help them in the long run.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ash
    Perhaps we could sort of suggest ways of how to research effectively? How to use library resources, best sources to search from, etc.

We have to make it clear that it is not what type of research we end up with.. but more so the skills and diligence we develop in carrying it out. I think even using the Internet makes students kind of complacent and a little lazy.. especially when Wikipedia is used as the main reference rather than just a starting point.
    ah! dear student, all are not like you. Many of them open books/internet only on the last night where they don't have enough time to do research and deduce stuff, they want ready stuff. Tell me how many of them write " plz plz urgt.........help.... need ppt...send me soon..thx..." => " i dont have time, due date for assignment is tomorrow, send me now to help me " and as personal reliasation, i have noticed that internet not only makes people lazy, while reading and referring to internet it actually reduces the concentration power as well. i dont know how many of you have observed this.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, I fully understand the malady in which students face with regards to time. I'll be a hypocrite if I say I don't suffer from those same issues. In fact, I only managed to finish my preliminary FYP report 30 mins after it was due. Had no time to do all the nice binding. It was just stapled. I'm just glad they overlooked presentation for content ๐Ÿ˜‰ Procrastination is within all of us!

Just takes some focus to do some of your own research. Its like exercising to be fit.. unless you are suffereing from physical ailments or disease, anyone can have a fit body. Likewise, unless one is mentally disturbed, any student should be able to find time and do some work. Its not a talent at that only few people possess ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Woha!! I too received a mail regarding project not from CE its from my college where I completed my Engineering.

The mail....

Hi Sir,

I am XXXX , I am in final year in V**** college in EEE branch.
    I have heard from my project madam saying you have completed 2 projects before you actually submitted your project (no 3).
    I have got the details from library the project circuit and matlab sequences.
    Can you please provide me the documentation for any one of the project as i dont have time to search it on web because i am busy in Gate prepatation.
    Thanks in advance !!!

What should I reply to him now??

My reply,

Hi ,

Completing project without any hardwork is not allowed these days , this dont add value to your knowledge anyways if you want to put the project put it.
    Now atleast work hard for getting the documentation..

Dont seek free lunches !!!

I was laughing for sometime and again bit worried as well since these people if dont work practically how can they grow ??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Direct everyone to Project Ideas section ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The_Big_K
    Direct everyone to Project Ideas section ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am scared to invite her on CE , Since she will post the same text in project ideas section. ๐Ÿ˜€

I have mailed our lecturer regarding the same issue on the same day for educating people to do something on their own even its incomplete they will learn..

Didn't receive any reply so far !!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

"MS in US" OR "MBA in INDIA" Hey guys~~ I'm really in dilemma abt my career.~~ In this period of recession, which is more lucrative to do.. : MS (US)...
Hi, could u please explain me how to interface gps and gsm together with microcontroller(8051)
i am final year mechanical engg student. i m searching for project
guys will u please explain me hw to organise a junkyard...i am new to this ๐Ÿ˜” so i need some elaboration...plz!!! i need ideas...
can any one suggest me the procedure for calculating the amount of effort applied for pushing the pedal of a cycle..so that i can calculate the torque applied.....!