Why Did Facebook Acquire 12 Employee / 30+ Million Users Instagram?

Instagram, the most popular iOS app for sharing photos through mobile has been #-Link-Snipped-# by Facebook for cool $1billion in a combination of cash and stocks. That now brings us to following points for our discussion -
  1. Instagram had no revenue model
  2. The Instagram had only 12 employees on board
  3. The company did not have an Android app until now. They only had iOS app.
  4. Post the Android App launch, Instagram added 6 million users in just 6 days.
  5. Instagram had recently raised $50 million from deep pocket investors.
Now, given all the above points, why do you think Facebook acquired Instagram? Your thoughts, please?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Instagram was famous as a 12 employee company. I think Facebook will want to retain the same team.
    Facebook, lately has become a more of a "photo-sharing site" for millions.
    We have seen multiple changes in the interface of the photo-viewer on facebook (eg: the all black background slideshow & now the one with comments in right sidebar)
    Zuck knows that 'photos' is the prime focus on Facebook.
    Here are some excerpts from what Zuckerberg said when he announced the merger:

Keep Instagram's strengths and features rather than just trying to integrate everything into Facebook.

We're committed to building and growing Instagram independently.

We plan on keeping features like the ability to post to other social networks, the ability to not share your Instagrams on Facebook if you want, and the ability to have followers and follow people separately from your friends on Facebook.

We will try to help Instagram continue to grow by using Facebook's strong engineering team and infrastructure.
    So, basically we have to wait and see how this merger helps millions of Facebook users (who don't use Instagram) to start using this service.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...or because Facebook was scared to death because of the rising popularity of Instagram. Facebook mostly about photos and failed to go viral on the mobile platform. Instagram just did what the FB couldn't do and if more people switched to Instagram for sharing photographs; Facebook would find it difficult to attract the 'lost' users. Facebook knew that they should stop Instagram and the best way to stop a competitor is through acquisition.

I don't think FB acquired 12 employees; I'm quite sure FB has more talented developers and could have easily built another Instagram for under a million dollars. But the main aim of this acquisition was to keep check on Instagram's growing popularity. One of the major concerns was; Instagram's Android App that attracted over 6 million users in just 6 days and if Google+ attracted those users; then Facebook's future was in danger. I'm quite sure Facebook knows how important 'photos' are for their service.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    You are right. The motive behind this merger was "viral growth on mobile" , something Facebook was failing terribly at.
    Whattay strategy!
    If you can't compete, acquire the company and kill competition. ๐Ÿ˜ #awesome

I wonder, are the original Instagram users happy with the merger?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A lot of Instagram users are opting out. Several services have popped up to allow users to port their photos out of Instagram Ex. #-Link-Snipped-# . It looks like while FB continues to grow a lot of early adopters are now looking for something new and better and even quitting FB. I'm quite sure a new service will start eating FB's lunch in coming months.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Awaiting more comments. I hope everyone's read the news by now ๐Ÿ˜€
  • manishks
    manishks
    The_Big_K
    ...or because Facebook was scared to death because of the rising popularity of Instagram. Facebook mostly about photos and failed to go viral on the mobile platform. Instagram just did what the FB couldn't do and if more people switched to Instagram for sharing photographs; Facebook would find it difficult to attract the 'lost' users. Facebook knew that they should stop Instagram and the best way to stop a competitor is through acquisition.

I don't think FB acquired 12 employees; I'm quite sure FB has more talented developers and could have easily built another Instagram for under a million dollars. But the main aim of this acquisition was to keep check on Instagram's growing popularity. One of the major concerns was; Instagram's Android App that attracted over 6 million users in just 6 days and if Google+ attracted those users; then Facebook's future was in danger. I'm quite sure Facebook knows how important 'photos' are for their service.
    I agree big! Lately, fb have become more about sharing photos. For the first time as pointed by many valley people, fb had found its real competitor. I dont know how zuck is planning to implement instgram in fb!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We need more chatty engineers, it seems ๐Ÿ˜
  • avii
    avii
    The_Big_K
    failed to go viral on the mobile platform.
    AbraKaDabra
    The motive behind this merger was "viral growth on mobile" , something Facebook was failing terribly at.
    What makes you guys say this ??? Any source links
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I agree, instagram has become a popular one on mobile, so to kill competetion merging ๐Ÿ˜€

Now, as biggie said, they comes something which eats FB share of users and money. Acquisition is not solution always.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    Let's see how fb implements this into their existing functionality ,As of now even i face many issues while sharing some pics in FB from my android App
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Hey, if you take a look at Facebook's financials (available on SEC site, since they are going public in May), then you will realize that Facebook's Revenues from Mobile is a big zero. Yes Z-E-R-O.

Combine that fact with Mary Meeker (earlier Morgan Stanley, now at Kleiner Perkins), the god of all tech analysts, statements that by 2015 the number of smart phones connected to the internet will exceed the no. of computers.

Having a revenue stream from mobile is essential for Facebook's growth. Thus, they have bought not just Instagram, but also Tagtile (a mobile start-up by co-founded by an IITian). The structure of both the acquisitions is the same, the core team join Facebook as employees with rich salaries and stock options.

FB wants to secure its mobile revenues, and fast. Instagram was a no-brainer, all of its users are mobile users, and so is the same with Tagtile. Have you checked out the FB android app? It's one of the slowest app out there on the market. I doubt whether it can generate any revenues on its own. FB needs other such start-ups.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Instagram and Tagtile don't add up to Facebook revenues. Instagram doesn't even have a revenue model. As I said, Facebook is all about photos and if I'm not wrong more than 70% of FB revolves around photographs. It's true that mobile presence is a must these days and FB totally didn't take off in spite of having talented engineers.

FB realized that if Instagram grows in popularity then it'd just eat up Facebook's lage part of lunch. They know it because the company must sustain shareholder's confidence after IPO. I personally think Facebook won't have the popularity it enjoys today; after say about 3 years from now.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    They don't add-up. But with FB behind them, they can definitely bulk up and define the mobile revenue stream for FB (which is non-existent at present).
  • avii
    avii
    kidakaka
    Hey, if you take a look at Facebook's financials (available on SEC site, since they are going public in May), then you will realize that Facebook's Revenues from Mobile is a big zero. Yes Z-E-R-O.
    Dude FB mobile apps doesn't have ads. Obviously revenue will be Z-E-R-O !

The_Big_K
    It's true that mobile presence is a must these days and FB totally didn't take off in spite of having talented engineers.
    I don't know why you say this. I asked earlier the same. have any source to back this up ? Last time I read FB Mobile is being actively used by 450 Million people. You call that they didn't take off ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I should have been more specific: Mobile usage for the photo activities on facebook.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    avii
    Dude FB mobile apps doesn't have ads. Obviously revenue will be Z-E-R-O !
    There are other ways than advertising to monetize. Look at Square, Tagtile
  • manishks
    manishks
    Hmm. Instgram do have many options to raise money!
    1. They charge for pro or premium features either as one time sale or subscriptions.
    2. They can sell premium camera filters, special social status features, or access to detailed analytics.
    3. Display advertising or sponsored photos.
    but there will be any purchase intent while browsing instgram,doubt!. and adds may anger users or send them elsewhere. so instgram guys (and facebook guys) will have to come up with some ideas for new types of advertisement!
    4. Charge developers to use its APIs. Instagram says that 2,500 apps are already using its APIs.
    But it would probably also discourage people from using the Instagram APIs.

lets see how facebook uses instgram to raise revenue!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    How many of the new CEans have read our exclusive interview with one of the founders of Instagram?
    We published it last year. Little did we know that there would this little company will make it so big in the news a year later.

Check this out guys:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • manishks
    manishks
    Yeah and later bbc mentioned about this interview and ''crazyengineers'' in one of their reports ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was wondering what'd save more cost in the kitchen: Matchsticks or the gas lighter. My quick analysis tells me that contradictory to the belief that lighter is just 'one...
I recently presented a Paper in the IEEE Paper Presentation competition in the technical fest of our Institute and won the 1st Prize for it. It is based on a...
Hello CEans, Total 15 valid Nomination was there for contest and we have opened voting thread to get the best CE- Signature. Finally voting ends and as you can see...
Suppose I have a page in which there are lots of fields like name,age,suggestion etc as a textbox. Now I want to sent these field to any email address directly...
Donald "You're Fired" Trump of "The Apprentice" is planning to construct a 70 floor tall skyscraper at the Northen tip of the Marine Drive near Girgaon Chowpaty. The construction requires...