Why Classic ROMs were not possible to Flash ?

We know that latest ROMs i.e Flash ROMs can be flashed as many times you want (limited to few million times I guess). But, the first ROM was not possible to flash once data was inserted in it.
What was the technical reason behind that ?

Okay, I know EPROM & EEPROM can be flashed, but I am talking here about firstROM, simple classic ROM in which once data was inserted it was not possible to insert data again.
What's the technical/scientific reason ?
Elaborate.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    In predetermined ROM AND PROM the method used to construct a bit in those devices are irreversible and can't be reset by sending any pulses of energy

The reconstruction of transistor after the data is once written was not feasible those days

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Everytime I open the cabinet of my desktop, each & every friend of mine have asked me to change the PSU. They simply refers that PSU of iball is such...
Bare with me if this is stupid (I've been away from my electrical engineering roots for really long time now). I was wondering if the medium affects the potential difference...
In airplanes, the wings have these small outlets that act as 'ground'. Ideally used when the lightening strikes (from what I've read). So when flying, airplanes do use Air as...
I happened to read about Intel Haswell CPU and GPU on AnandTech. Not very familiar with the architecture myself, but a general question popped up in my head whether Haswell...
New test dates for TOEFL iBTest are August 10, 16, and 31 and September 7, 13 and 27 in some cities in India. ETS has decided to waive late fee...