Why class C is widely used?

Most of the ip addresses on a network range in class C which is 192.168.0.0, why class C? why not class B,C,D or E widely used?

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    pradeep.pawar
    Most of the ip addresses on a network range in class C which is 192.168.0.0, why class C? why not class B,C,D or E widely used?
    It's because class C network has less number of hosts per network and thus suit the need of smaller organizations.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Class C ip addresses are perfect for a network where there are about 100 clients(rough figure). Class C IP address is thus generalized as default and is used in basic configurations. Apart from this, the number of hosts it supports, there is no other particular reason to justify it.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    pradeep.pawar
    Widely used? That's a wrong impression. All classes of network addresses are equally "widely used" - the reason they exist. Do some nslookup's and see for yourself.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    That's because C class provides large not of net masks as well as subnet masks as much as hosts are available.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Anand Tamariya
    Widely used? That's a wrong impression. All classes of network addresses are equally "widely used" - the reason they exist. Do some nslookup's and see for yourself.
    Most ips range in C class in to say that.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Its how an IP address was 'read' when they were introduced.
    Class A has 8 network bits and 24 host bits, so the maximum networks what can be formed are (2^8) -2, where as the number of hosts what can be accommodated is (2^24)-2. There are very very few enterprises who can use so many host IPs. hence leading to wastage of Ip addresses, the present class A IP mostly will be subnetted IPs and not a /8. Same is the case with Class B and Class C

Classes in current age don't mean much (except in few intricate networking concepts), IP addresses currently are allocated as VLSM , based on number of Hosts IPs the company needs
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    durga
    Its how an IP address was 'read' when they were introduced.
    Class A has 8 network bits and 24 host bits, so the maximum networks what can be formed are (2^8) -2, where as the number of hosts what can be accommodated is (2^24)-2. There are very very few enterprises who can use so many host IPs. hence leading to wastage of Ip addresses, the present class A IP mostly will be subnetted IPs and not a /8. Same is the case with Class B and Class C

Classes in current age don't mean much (except in few intricate networking concepts), IP addresses currently are allocated as VLSM , based on number of Hosts IPs the company needs
    thanks.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am having a serious trouble, a few months ago I noticed that my broadband usage was going up. I shut down all the automatic updates on all the softwares...
The Lawrence Livermore National Lab has produced an interesting graph that shows that less than 40% of the energy produced in the States is actually used. There is a new...
Let me post the link and get out of the way; https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-07/i-met-worlds-smartest-dog
One more headache to chemistry students. There seem to be periodic additions to the Periodic Table. The latest is the confirmed finding of a new heavy weight element with an...
Hello CEans, I feel great pleasure in announcing that my own start-up Energy Labs which is a brainchild of our company Full Circle group is live now. After sleepless nights...