Why China Isn’t “The Next Silicon Valley”

[​IMG]Since I got home from China last week, I've found myself in a lot of conversations where phrases like "the next Silicon Valley" or "just like Silicon Valley used to be" keep coming up. But while China is swimming in capital and littered with start-ups, I'm going to argue it's not the next Silicon Valley. In fact, it's something far different than I've ever seen before. If you think about it, Silicon Valley doesn’t really move as fast as people say it does. Sure, the rest of the U.S. business world may feel out-lapped by the pattern of companies going from nothing to billions in a few years, but those start-ups are mostly the outliers. For every wunderkind smirking on the cover of a magazine, there are far more entrepreneurs who slogged away for thirty years before ever getting their Nasdaq moments. And there are even more who slogged away for longer and didn’t. And even the breakout Googles and Facebooks of the Valley had the clear benefit of building their companies on top of decades of infrastructure build-out. I mean “infrastructure” in the sense of technology infrastructure—the chips, routers, open source stack, etc.— but I also mean it in the sense of Valley infrastructure that makes it possible to come up with an idea at breakfast and have a company by noon. It’s taken decades of continual boom-and-bust cycles to create the complex fabric of venture capitalists, angel investors, lawyers, term sheets, accounting methods and best practices that a newby entrepreneur waltzing in the Valley today has the luxury of taking for granted. What makes China so staggering is that everything that happened to corporate America over decades—think the television and media studios build out of the 1950s, the greed of the 1980s, the dot com bubble, the build out of physical and IT infrastructure, current Web 2.0 and CleanTech innovation—is all happening to China at once.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Cool information..but you never know who can stand beside you next day. Can't say anything. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello I want to OR three 555 outputs for example, I have a LED that should be on when ANY of the 555 outputs (pin 3) is on do I...
Can any one tell whitch technology is being used by google to search the data?Such a huge database they have still they show the result so quickly.How?
Posting the request on behalf of Mr. Chandrashekhar.H of Miltech Industries CEans, We are the manufacturer of plastic injection moulded components and suppliying the same to major auto and home...
Hey all, I saw no thread on badminton as a hobby! Anybody interested in badminton ? Xero
Hey everybody, I need to design a system that can measure the pollution of the gas coming out from a car exhaust/engine. I'd appreciate it if you could give me...