Why can't we create folder named 'con' on desktop

Try it to believe it! This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable. .. At
Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why
this happened! So Try it now , YOU CANNOT CREATE a folder by name" CON " or Try To rename the New Folder as CON Or con in a windows environment...It will not
Accept ... TRY IT AND REPLY IF ITS DONE

Replies

• Pranny
    Pranny
    Not only CON, there are quite a many other name like LPT13, etc ehich cannot be used for folder name, and not only in desktop, they cannot be created anywhere.
    Yet there is a way out, i am not sure if it works, but try it and reply here. Type CON in any text editor, copy it and then paste it to the name of the folder. I think this creates a folder named CON.....
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    Good to know that. Nice observation, ish_nalini πŸ˜€ ! I searched the internet and came to know that a folder with name 'PRN' cannot be created anywhere inside windows.

I guess the reason is that those are standard device names. Is that ture?

Jerry
  • ish_nalini
    ish_nalini
    Jerry
    Good to know that. Nice observation, ish_nalini πŸ˜€ ! I searched the internet and came to know that a folder with name 'PRN' cannot be created anywhere inside windows.

I guess the reason is that those are standard device names. Is that ture?

Jerry
    Really i dont know jerry , if any one found the reason for that they will be appointed in billy's company(bill gates).........
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ish_nalini
    Really i dont know jerry , if any one found the reason for that they will be appointed in billy's company(bill gates).........

There is nothing great in this..
    There must be some function named as CON in folder creation library of windows. When we try to execute the command named as "CreateFolderName=CON" it get clashed with the config (function). so it changes it to by default new folder name, i.e. New Folder.

There are tons of bugs logged for WIndows, like:- some text is not displaying the NotePad or folder name.. Etc.

Even you can log a bug against this and help windows to resolve this.

This is just a Prognosis, Not very sure.. whats the reason is.

--Crazy
  • Neha
    Neha
    hey, thats amazing!! I never tried it out..good work ish_nalini!!
    Keep the good work up!!
  • aashima
    aashima
    Yes. CON cannot be named as a folder and alss there is a similar problem as in we cannot rename the recycle bin. Does anybody has any idea of the reason behind?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    CON, PRN, LPT13 are standard strings reserved by windows, hence you cant use them as folder names because had you created them, then the OS would be klueless as to wat to do .. execute the internal command (CON, PRN, et al) or open the folder :-D

As for renaming Recycle Bin, you can do that by editing the windows registry.
  • instruite
    instruite
    "con" was basically use in old DOS versions for "Console"

there are other reserved name too like
    lpt1, lpt2, nul, com1, com2, com3, com4, clcok$, prn and may be many more
  • akravikanth
    akravikanth
    It's Just like keywords in any programming language, for example you cant use if, else as variable names in C , java, etc.

CON,COM,LPT are just reserved strings, its similar to /dev/null in unix environment.
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    I came to known that we can able to keep folder names such as ,

Con, LPT1,LPT2, etc.

Like we can keep 26 names to folders.

Thats been hidden by developers , so some purpose.

Regards,
    A.Sk...
  • rahul dev choud
    rahul dev choud
    I can make folder in all these names.......con ,lpt1, lpt2..etc named folder.

just follow these steps...

click on rename press alt+255
    then u can able to make folder of these names..
  • sandman
    sandman
    Actually you ll have to press the numbers of the number pad or else it wont work. That is, create a new folder, rename it CON but dont press enter yet. Hold down Alt and type 255 on the number pad and then press enter. (for laptop users, fress fn key and press the letter keys k-i-i to make use of the numberpad).

Well ALT+255 stands for a blank character in ASCII so it allows you to use this folder name. Well I consider this part "cheating" but there is one more technique which we can use.

Go to command prompt in your computer and type md\\.\\c:\\con [Note: you can give whtever path you want in place of c:] . Voila the folder is created. Now to delete it, it can done only thru the command prompt. Type rd\\.\\c:\con.

There you go.
  • DEP
    DEP
    rahul dev choud

i tried create folders with all these names by doing this but it didnt work.
    please tell if there is any other way out??
  • crazy
    crazy
    DEP
    i tried create folders with all these names by doing this but it didnt work.
    please tell if there is any other way out??

just go to rename and press alt key plus 255...
    that is the way to make folder like con, etc
  • DEP
    DEP
    crazy
    just go to rename and press alt key plus 255...
    that is the way to make folder like con, etc

thanks crazy, finally i can create a folder with name CON
  • DEP
    DEP
    hey everyone,

you guys told us two methods for the creation of the folders namely "con","prn1" etc.

1. using alt+255
    2. command prompt

i have observed a something. when you create the folder using "alt+255" technique,the folder is created with the namr "con " i.e the name con followed by a "space" while no such thing happens when you create it on the command prompt.

is my observation right???
    ANYONE???
  • Satyajit
    Satyajit
    Hi! YA IT's TRUE that we can't creat a folder named "CON" but in my computer i have created A floder name "LPT13" on desktop.
    &* also one thing by using alt+255 i m not able to creat any folder with name"con","lpt13"etc....πŸ˜• confused
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    bump****

TRY THIS: : :

create a new notepad file, empty.
    just write "bush hid the facts" without quotes and save it, dont press enter.

see what happens 😁 😁 😁

again its just bush hid the facts

EDIT: Works only on XP. Not on Vista (IMO)
  • zeem_710
    zeem_710
    😁I can create a folder named "con" in windows.

Yes, :sshhh:that's true.

To create a folder with name con in C: drive type the following line in command prompt.

😎mkdir \\.\c:\con😎
  • mahul
    mahul
    all this indicates that explorer.exe might be using the keyword "con" and is not able 2 create it. on the other hand we donot have such a problem with cmd prompt and can thus create a folder named "con". any comments on this any1??
  • Pegasus
    Pegasus
    aashima
    Yes. CON cannot be named as a folder and alss there is a similar problem as in we cannot rename the recycle bin. Does anybody has any idea of the reason behind?
    We can rename the recycle bin folder.For this purpose you need to do some kind of modifications in registry.
  • vikrant thorat
    vikrant thorat
    it is amazing it dosen't work. may be it is because of comp have no information about these words.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    At last it's Microsoft's software they're free to do what tehy want and you don't have the right to ask why.
  • raknahs2
    raknahs2
    This is very blunt.
    Please check the link #-Link-Snipped-#

CON and few more names are reserved device names in Windows.
  • AnoopKumar
    AnoopKumar
    while we r adding con folder through command prompt....we cant able to save anything to this folder.... actually wht we done here is open one of the system folder named con....and that is not a new folder
  • tild
    tild
    rahul dev choud

Hey dude.....U have given the wrong solution...
    alt+255 is the Way of represention the SpaceBar..
    so the name will become SpaceBar + Con and con....

But Actually we can give the name to any folder as con or lp1,pl2 & blah blah.......

Just u have to Use the Unlocker software...
    Unlocker Sodtware is used to delete/move/rename the folder(s) or file(s)....

Here is the link....
    Download:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Enjoy....😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ok.. what IS the obsession of trying to add the folder con anyway? *sigh* engineers...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, I've been wondering about this too. Looks like suddenly everyone wants to create 'CON' on their desktop πŸ˜‰ . Btw, the title gets us some good traffic!
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Haha, nice! I think we crazy eng, are curious to know.
  • archit_p_v
    archit_p_v
    there r so many different folders which can be created by a small change in registery.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Nice observation.....well i think the reason behind is as we can't use keywords as variable names in languages same is in the case of windows.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    com,con,lpt are name of built in dos drivers
    you can't use it...

of which 'com' is used of serial port
    lpt is for printer.
    correct me if i am wrong?
  • pratik.itworld
    pratik.itworld
    In MS-DOS, several special "device files" were available to aid in performing certain tasks, such as clearing the screen or deleting extraneous output from a program. In order to maintain backwards-compatibility, all versions of Windows up to and including Windows Vista will refuse to allow you to create a file with these "reserved" device file names. The following file names are reserved:

• CON
    • PRN
    • AUX
    • NUL
    • COM1
    • COM2
    • COM3
    • COM4
    • COM5
    • COM6
    • COM7
    • COM8
    • COM9
    • LPT1
    • LPT2
    • LPT3
    • LPT4
    • LPT5
    • LPT6
    • LPT7
    • LPT8
    • LPT9
    CON, incidentally, was a device file used to capture whatever was printed onscreen.
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    nice work keep it up

great
  • Chaitali Sumita
    Chaitali Sumita
    xheavenlyx

see what happens 😁 😁 😁

now you try this....when you are using the word bush...then you are getting 9 boxes according to your procedure......but you now try the same using any other name having even no of letters and make it sure that its more than 4 letters.....each time you increase two letters.. 1 box is increased....hence bush is not mandatory ...it can be any name.....and i dont think that this is possible for any name containing odd no of letters.............

if you know the answer then please do share it soon.........

PROUD TO BE AN CEAN
  • shruti palod
    shruti palod
    Hi
    yes we cant create folder named con or con1 , lpt1,con2........etc coz I think this is ms-dos stuff.But it can be created through command prompt.
    but I dnt know the exact reason behind this.😁
  • Chaitali Sumita
    Chaitali Sumita
    xheavenlyx
    bump****

see what happens 😁 😁 😁

again its just bush hid the facts

hiii.......can you please tell me the reason, why we cannot apply it in microsoft word???why it is only applicable to notepad??

eagerly waiting for your answers...

proud to be a CEAN
  • Amitrockstar
    Amitrockstar
    i an make a folder name con
    it is used by dos
  • ankesh.cs2007
    ankesh.cs2007
    yes we can create con named folder on to our desktop by renaming it with con and followed by alt+255.
    and here it is con named folder....
    these settings can be applied to other names also....
  • Rahul74
    Rahul74
    we can't create a folder by a name CON as in DOS we are using console based system which doesn't allow to create such type of folder.
    another reason is that, due to the name of Control Panel, whose starting words are CON in which Window dosen't allow to name a folder as CON............

think about it..... u all....
  • sasikala gandhi
    sasikala gandhi
    Just create a new folder and go to rename type con and hold alt and type 0160. You can create folder named con.
  • neeleshjsingh
    neeleshjsingh
    you can create LPT as a folder in W7 and rename recyle bin as a CON it works
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    CON, LPT, COMx are all reserved names of Microsoft Operating System...
  • synergynext
    synergynext
    very old topic. Still, if anyone is still struggling to create a CON folder in C drive, try creating a batch file with following entry:

@echo off
    mkdir c:\con\

run this bat file and refresh. CON folder gets created!
    If you want to delete this folder, change the bat file entry:

@echo off
    rmdir c:\con\
  • yoginavale
    yoginavale
    In Windows, Con must be a library function which won't allow other stuff to be named similar.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    You won't be able to delete the file by hand... πŸ˜€
    If you want to delete, you need to do so only by rmdir! 😲
  • yoginavale
    yoginavale
    Yaa i know the code , that is rmdir c:/con/
    Right naa ?
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Nice Topic. Didn't know till now πŸ˜›
  • abhimanyu sareen
    abhimanyu sareen
    i can name folder con....ask me how,,at my email id
  • abhimanyu sareen
    abhimanyu sareen
    its not impossible.....i have made it possible..yes only pressing 4 keys u can name folder con
  • theinam
    theinam
    CON

PRN

AUX

CLOCK$

NUL

COM1

COM2

COM3

COM4

COM5

COM6

COM7

these are also not accepted by any folder at any where πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Closing the thread.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans! Brian Huyser, founder of Symmetric Inc., USA and the man behind One Billion Bulbs talked to Crazy Engineers about his project. Here is your chance to shout your...
I recommend the book 'Siddhartha' by Hermann Hesse. I'd appreciate if anyone who has read this books puts his or her thoughts in this discussion thread. Jerry
This shouldn't take much time. I had fun solving this - Jesse James' lesser known brother, Eddie has also decided to take up robbing banks for a living. He is...
Hey Vinitg Happy birth day from CE...:myparty::myparty:😁 Enjoy --Crazy
well there is a particular folder whose contents i want to hide...people suggested i download some software for this....but one of my friends suggested i can do this by changing...