why '@' Symbol is necessary in Email id's

hello, CE's
why '@' is necessary in email id's.. can't we use any other symbols apart from @ symbol..
If any one know the reasons please give a brief description ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

Replies

• vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    actually as everyone knows @ stands for "at" but then there are no other symbols to represent "in" or some other words like that.,so i think they may use @. am not sure.,:neutral: :hehehe: ๐Ÿ˜›
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Nice question madhu.. never thought about that
    but i hope we have to ask it to somebody like the inventor of mail or so
  • kumar_nitin
    kumar_nitin
    according to me, Mr.Vishnu is right,
    what a strange thing is this that we all use it daily but never thought about that..
    nice question Mr.Madhu..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, in order to understand the importance of '@' sign; you must understand how email works.

I may explain it in a different article. But just to answer the question; '@' sign helps in connecting the 'domain' to the account identity.

That is, admin @ crazyengineers dot com - refers to an account called 'admin' on the domain 'crazyengineers.com'.
  • madhumurundi
    madhumurundi
    thanks for ALL of you.. for your valuable Comments.. i expect more number of CE's to discuss about it..... ๐Ÿ˜
  • Pechu
    Pechu
    [ The '@' symbol in email addresses was chosen by Tomlinson, who worked for Bolt Bernek and Newman(BBN)--> the company chosen by the United States Defense Department to build the first internet, way back in 1968. Its because he wanted a keyboard character that didn't occur in people's names. It is said that he spent just 30-40 seconds to think up the choice of symbol. ] source : internet, random search.
    โ€‹

I think its just to distinguish the id from the domain. Technically, #-Link-Snipped-# gave you information. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • madhumurundi
    madhumurundi
    Pechu
    [ The '@' symbol in email addresses was chosen by Tomlinson, who worked for Bolt Bernek and Newman(BBN)--> the company chosen by the United States Defense Department to build the first internet, way back in 1968. Its because he wanted a keyboard character that didn't occur in people's names. It is said that he spent just 30-40 seconds to think up the choice of symbol. ] source : internet, random search.
    โ€‹

I think its just to distinguish the id from the domain. Technically, #-Link-Snipped-# gave you information. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Good Information ๐Ÿ˜
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Very nice question madhu

and

Very nice answer pechu and Biggie..!
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    nice information ๐Ÿ˜€
  • madhumurundi
    madhumurundi
    sahithi pallavi
    Very nice question madhu

and

Very nice answer pechu and Biggie..!
    Thank you Pallavi ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • Pechu
    Pechu
    Thank you Madhu, Sahithi and Cool dude ๐Ÿ˜€
  • madhumurundi
    madhumurundi
    Pechu
    Thank you Madhu, Sahithi and Cool dude ๐Ÿ˜€
    Welcome Pechu ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    you are welcome madhu, pechu...!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Thanks for the information guys!!

Good Question I never thought of it.

Does the period(.) operator also have some significance?
  • heart_vs_brain
    heart_vs_brain
    It is a good question madhu
  • addurisathvik
    addurisathvik
    Good Question ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Pechu
    โ€‹

nice information pechu....have you got this information from google
  • ravikiran18
    ravikiran18
    intresting topic
  • Pechu
    Pechu
    Yes Goyal, i googled it !
  • Nikhil Lokhande
    Nikhil Lokhande
    nice info....
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Thanks for the information Peechu.
    I was just wondering that there are few more symbols that can be used instead of '@' for the same reason stated above. For example '^', '~', '`' etc. Why didn't they used any of them.? (Just a thought..๐Ÿ˜’)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I wonder if someone know from where I can get a business or personal web packages, email packages or domain registration at one place with smart utilities. Hosting Company must...
i have the software if you are interested but i need the crack of petrel 2009.1 or 2009.2, no problem to share it
The past few days have this topic lit up the fire across the board of educational institutions and is boggling the minds of lakhs of MBA aspirants But then which...
Hi I am a student of IT having interested in embedded systems. I have tighten up my concepts of electronics including microprocessors and microcontrollers.I want to work in ISRO in...
Iam Adivy doing b.tech in electronics and communication(from CUSAT) in Kerala(India).....I was just searching about some project topics in google and found out this...Its great site ..Uniting Engineers from all...