1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Why are engineers in India leaving private sectors jobs to join government services?

Question asked by Durgesh Srivastava in #Debates #Career Help on Dec 30, 2019
Durgesh Srivastava
Durgesh Srivastava · Dec 30, 2019
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Today's In India numbers of engineers joined the public sector services like banking ,ssc and upsc and left the private sector job.  What is the correct reason beside that. Why number of engineers left their MNCs job and and go for government services. Give me the actual reason about this.

Posted in: #Debates #Career Help
Kavya Burramolla
Kavya Burramolla · Dec 30, 2019
Rank C1 - EXPERT

In my view there are many reasons for people migrating from private sector to public sector. One basic reason is the facilities that are offered by public sector are more compared to the private sector. Public sector companies provide the job security while in the private sector we are not sure what exactly happens tomorrow. There may be chance of recession that cases there job in a danger, which is not the case with public sector companies.

Also in public sector companies even though work is same as private sector we don’t have any fixed target of works to complete and in short there will not be pressure or work load.

Now a days both public and private sectors are offering the basic facilities like ESI, EPF but Public sector companies also offer pension amount even after the retirement of the employee under National Pension Scheme.

Because of the above advantages most of the students and even employees show much interest in working with public sector. There is no doubt a graduate is applying for a public sector job for which the qualification is SSC or Intermediate. That is the reason why the competition for public sector jobs is too heavy these days. 

Mohana Chandra
Mohana Chandra · Dec 30, 2019
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Agreeing to points, which Kavya has mentioned, i would like to add a point .

In public sector, Promotions will be based on the experience where as in private sector , promotions depends on the performance of employee.

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Jan 2, 2020
Rank B3 - LEADER

When IT was booming in India in 2003 onwards, there was a huge demand for engineers and people landed in IT jobs with good amount of salaries. Giving my example - I got a job in core field ( kind of govt. affliated) salary was 8K with 5 year bond compared to IT job which was paying aroung 15K this was in the year 2006. So many people like me started moving into IT or private jobs where salaries are higher. 

Once recession started, then the true picture is out, and also we age so that we get additional responsibilities like family , kids etc. Now in the private sector, up skilling is always important. Next, your hike depends on how you behave with your manager etc, so there are unnecessary pressures in private sector. 

Coming to now, since a decade public sectors have improved to great extent, they provide great benefits , great salaries and the most important thing is pressure is less and job is secure. 

PS. There are govt jobs like police, military,ISRO etc, where pressure is immense compared to anything, but my views are not on those particular jobs.

Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare · Jan 2, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

I recently heard from a few friends that public sector jobs, though becoming a source of attraction (for the government holidays, yearly paid vacations, regular pay upgrades), are facing tougher competition to enter than ever before. Way too many graduates are attracted towards the government or the public sector, making it a hotbed for not just engineers, but graduates from all branches.

However, at the same time, I hear a lot of complaints as well! Recently, new laws mean people working in banks will no longer receive pensions. This was the one factor that many people feel is a letdown.

As Sandy mentioned above, once the ages increase, the engineers  start looking at upskilling and upgrading their salaries, but there is no cushion of a pension in private jobs. Those who have failed to secure their savings and investments will be in big trouble once they reach a certain retirement age in private sector.

Unfortunately, the young engineers are not thinking so far ahead and therefore they became super attracted to private jobs at the beginning of the century. Wondering if this float towards public sector is also temporary..

Anoop Kumar
Anoop Kumar · Jan 3, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Government gives too many perks, specially central government jobs.  So, a job with 100% security, Better or very good pay then why not public sector.

Rahul Singh
Rahul Singh · Jan 23, 2020
Rank E2 - BEGINNER

A government job is one of the favorite jobs of every person. As it gives an ample number of perks and benefits, also life becomes smooth and simple. (Job is permanent).

As my younger brother got the and now he is seeking a government job in the Education department of UP.  

The workload is less, good pay, and sorted lifestyle as you avail all government facilities.

bill yorke
bill yorke · Jan 23, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

India is among the highly populated countries globally and notably with high medical and engineering professionals/ graduates. This makes private sector highly competitive, populated, and undeniably a steep slope for start ups. Private sector advantages over all this as one is assured of work and income, reduced work pressures, access to best facilities, equipments, platforms, as well as working environments. 

Swarup Pan
Swarup Pan · Jan 23, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

There are lot of reasons behind it.

1. The stereotype mentality about the IT jobs.

2. Very less pay at the entry level compared to the developed countries.

3. Lack of quality education at the B.Tech level.

4. Not challenging ownself.

5. Some boring and bogus policies of IT companies.

Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
Rank A2 - PRO

Reasons people opt for Govt job:

1) High and standard salary which keeps revisited during pay commision,

2) low work pressure compared to private sector.

3)Standard  Work time(8hrs)

4) Govt santioned leave and Bonus

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 26, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

Well, I'm not sure if that's the trend, but government jobs are revered in India. I asked someone who is in the government job, despite having slightly lower salary than what they'd have earned in the private sector, they said it's the job security. 

Government jobs in India are considered very secure. No matter what the economic situation in the country, Government employees do not have to to worry. 

The things are changing, however. Lot of talented people are now being paid well in Government jobs as the new opportunities are being created in the technical domains. IT Security, management, manufacturing sectors have opened up new opportunities that did not exist earlier. Though the job crisis remains a challenge, at least the government is now paying competitive salaries in several domains. 

One more career option I've seen that's attracting techies is teaching. I've seen that several people are opting for teaching in private sector. 

I think ultimately it's the job security that matters a lot more to most Indians. It allows them to plan their finances and career accordingly. 

Noothan Kumar
Noothan Kumar · Jan 26, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Actually most of them will have dream to get job in government sector. But nowadays in public sectors also providing more perks for employers...

In goverment they will provide room for stay, education loan, travel allowance and health allowance etc... 

Where as in public they were also provide same as government but there is no much security in public sector jobs compare to government jobs

bill yorke
bill yorke · Jan 26, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Private sectors pay well but security of employment is very wavy. Public sectors pay low initially but with time there could be increase in pay over time through promotion and job reviews. Among insecure population, many people are likely to go for public sector by applying government jobs and in public institution s. 

Private sector is for the daring and with specialized unique skills and enjoy freelance employment. This includes people with proper financial planning and demand for their services are steady in an economy. This is unlikely in India hence the existing scenario.

supriya VN gowda
supriya VN gowda · Jan 26, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Many people think that getting jobs in banking, ssc will be better than working in private sector because students feel finding job in company is difficult than finding job in banking. Timing hours will be more in private sector than public sector and even work pressure is more in companies so students like to work in government jobs.

In government jobs after person gets retired they will get pension that will be advantage for employees working in government jobs. Holidays will be more in government sector compared to private sector so graduates opt for government jobs. Graduates think more respect will be given by the society if he is a government employee. Government job will be permanent job and private job will be temporvary job that is the main reason of people choosing banking, ssc or other goverment jobs.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up