Why amplitude modulation called so.....

hi,

we are aware that in frequency modulation, frequency of carrier is made proportional to message signals (without adding any constant term). Similar are the principles of phase modulation, angle modulation. Now in this array of concepts, does amplitude modulation not stand out as an exception?

In this case, we are modifying the amplitude of carrier(as per the message signal) and then we add the term Acos(wt) where w is the carrier frequency to this changed carrier. Many research papers call it a DSB-LC modulation. Don't you think that was the better terminology to be used than amplitude modulation.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    AM has various form which include DSB-FC, DSB-SC, SSB-SC, VSB and other forms

In all these the amplitude of the carrier is alone modified and also the actual frequency which is to be transmitted is raised to carrier frequency

You are right in naming it DSB-LC but in totality we term all these as AM in general and Specifically they have different names

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello, I am enthralled to inform you that this year we are trying to simulate a photo-detector using MAT LAB. It stands out from the lot in the fact that...
Only when they would have thought the situation is under control, the world-famous code sharing website - GitHub got under a DDoS attack twice in a row in last two...
hello, i made a project on water level controller using pic16f877a i made a pgm using c language it works very well when i run it on software protious but...
Tanks are the military vehicles which always make me speechless and the automobile engineering behind it make me wondered. Tanks have the best design to be operated both on road...
Should the dress code in (work places) companies should be regulated? I am not against any profession but I am sure that it is a debatable topic. Should there be...