Who am I?

Because of my famous engineer debate thread, thought it would be fun to start posting famous engineers and see if people can guess. I'll post a new person's name and you need to guess why they are (or should be) famous for! Please do not use any internet help, only what you know. Some may be easy other hard...

Walter Brattain

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    It would be better to give some clues. Like may be, in which field he's famous or something..
    Get us started and guessing, you know..
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    invented Transistor and also won peace 😁 noble prize for the same.

Next Name : Ada LoveLace
  • gohm
    gohm
    that is correct!
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Guys, in addition to giving a name, it would be better to give some clues or pointers. That would help people "Guess" the answer. Otherwise, they are bound to google it.

For example, I dont know who this Ada Lovelace is or what (s)he invented. I have no other choice to google it or to wait for someone to answer..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This thread is very good πŸ˜€ Thanks to Gohm for initiating this!
  • gohm
    gohm
    Maybe, but it isn't supposed to be easy. Although in reality it should be as all the ones I will be posting anyways made/make HUGE contributions. Thus it outlines the issue as discussed in the famous engineers thread elsewhere. It is shame on us for not knowing this (this includes myself, and not just engineers but the populus)

silverscorpion
    Guys, in addition to giving a name, it would be better to give some clues or pointers. That would help people "Guess" the answer. Otherwise, they are bound to google it.

For example, I dont know who this Ada Lovelace is or what (s)he invented. I have no other choice to google it or to wait for someone to answer..
  • gohm
    gohm
    That name sounds so familar... I will think for a bit before I give up!

electron1212
    invented Transistor and also won peace 😁 noble prize for the same.

Next Name : Ada LoveLace
  • gohm
    gohm
    This episode is about a horse of a different color:

Guillermo Gonzalez Camarena
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I think Ada lovelace worked with Charles Babbage in the field of computers but what actually she invented i dont know.
    πŸ˜”πŸ˜”
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    Ada Lovelace is popularly known as 'The First Programmer' in the programming world. The thing that English Scared told is right but not much people aware of this. Check wiki for further detail of this very interesting persona.
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Guillermo Gonzalez Camarena..[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
    he is a mexican engineer and he introduced color tv(trichomatic system used in it)..
  • zia.sepsis
    zia.sepsis
    where is the next name???
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    next name : Vinod Dham
  • zia.sepsis
    zia.sepsis
    electron1212
    next name : Vinod Dham
    he is the indian inventor, who played a part in the development of pentium processors . he is also called as father of pentium. am i correct ???
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    yup....thats correct....actually i came to know about him from the advertisement of Bharti. Googled him and found that hez also one of the co-inventers of non-volatile flash memory.
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    Next Name : Hargobind Khorana
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    He's the first and the only Indian to get the nobel prize for medicine. Am i correct??

As for what breakthrough he made, I'm at a loss.
  • gohm
    gohm
    correct answer!

miniy
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Guillermo Gonzalez Camarena..[/SIZE][/FONT]

he is a mexican engineer and he introduced color tv(trichomatic system used in it)..
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    silverscorpion
    He's the first and the only Indian to get the nobel prize for medicine. Am i correct??

As for what breakthrough he made, I'm at a loss.
    Yup, thats right. He shared the 1968 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his work on genes.
  • zia.sepsis
    zia.sepsis
    next name???
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    zia.sepsis
    next name???
    Zia, why don't you give us a question this time ? Its not like that only members other than you can ask them.:myparty:
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Next name is Martin Cooper

i hope this is a easy question..😎
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    English-Scared
    Next name is Martin Cooper

i hope this is a easy question..😎
    Discovered Copper ? 😁
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    well actually hez the first person to own a mobile phone.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    He didnt discover copper.

He is the inventor of the mobile phone.😎😎
  • gohm
    gohm
    great one Engish-Scared!

For audiophiles...

Robert Moog, who am I?
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    gohm
    great one Engish-Scared!

For audiophiles...

Robert Moog, who am I?
    never heard of him....and i can't search πŸ˜› so plz someone write who he is
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    i heard that this person had invented / introduced some thing called Moog Music beyond that again no idea.
  • Yamini L
    Yamini L
    He invented moog(analog) synthesizer i suppose..
  • zia.sepsis
    zia.sepsis
    Next name : Dr. Charles Drew
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    zia.sepsis
    Next name : Dr. Charles Drew

Drew developed techniques for storing of Blood and he is also called founder of Blood Bank.

Next question :

Waterman
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Waterman - ink pen?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Yes Durga.

Its also called Fountain Pen.
    😎
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    Next Name : Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    APJ Abdul Kalam:

An Ex -President of India.

Career in Aeronautical Engineering.
    Involved in India's indigenous SLV.
    was also involved in Prithvi and Agni.

read his wiki few days back.πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Next question::

Patek Phillipe
  • gohm
    gohm
    Correct, electrical engineer who invented the synthesizer

miniy
    He invented moog(analog) synthesizer i suppose..
  • zia.sepsis
    zia.sepsis
    English-Scared
    Next question::

Patek Phillipe
    A famous swiss watch company's name😁
  • rama_krish627
    rama_krish627
    She is the first programmer.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    zia.sepsis
    A famous swiss watch company's name😁
    PatekPhillipe:

And also the inventer of the wrist watch.😎😎
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Bumping this thread..

Who is James watt?
    its easy isnt it?

So what is the other most important invention of Thomas Alwa Edison apart from the Electric Bulb?

need 2 answers πŸ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    James Watt is the inventor of steam Engine.

And coming to Edison, he held almost a thousand patents. So, he actually invented many more things other then the electric bulb.
    Of particular importance will be the phonograph, because that's what comes to my mind after the bulb.
    One thing worth mentioning is motion pictures.

Did I get it right??
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I thought you would answer first seeing you online.

You are also correct , but the answer with me is He invented Electricity.
    if iam no wrong that is the important one .
  • gohm
    gohm
    well technically he discovered electricity as electricity is naturally occurring and not invented. The famous battle between him and Tesla Westinghouse with AC vs. DC current forms. Did you know the electric chair was used as a tool to thwart AC current by Edison? He thought people would be turned off and disgusted by the electric chair and being it was powered by AC current people would switch to DC (which was Edison's current idea. Remember at this time they were both new so either one could become the main usage). Obviously it did not work as today we run on an AC grid!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    @Gohm Is He "Benjamin Franklin" or some "Volta" was also involved with that. I don't remember exactly. πŸ˜”
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Yep. Edison didn't invent or discover electricity. He just made it commercially viable.
    Electricity was invented by Volta only when he made the voltaic cell.. And AC was first generated by Faraday.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    silverscorpion
    Yep. Edison didn't invent or discover electricity. He just made it commercially viable.
    Electricity was invented by Volta only when he made the voltaic cell.. And AC was first generated by Faraday.
    Hey Scorpion what is full name of "Volta" and Faraday worked for static charges or some induction things right ? AC was generated by Faraday ?

Anyways I don't know much about AC DC πŸ˜‰
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    silverscorpion

Is it ??? ok am wrong so question itself is wrong πŸ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Volta invented something called Electric battery or voltaic cell, he is the one who provided the first source of Continuous current.

For who invented Electricity::

From the writings of Thales of Miletus it appears that Westerners knew as long ago as 600 B.C. that amber becomes charged by rubbing. There was little real progress until the English scientist William Gilbert in 1600 described the electrification of many substances and coined the term electricity from the Greek word for amber. As a result, Gilbert is called the father of modern electricity. In 1660 Otto von Guericke invented a crude machine for producing static electricity. It was a ball of sulfur, rotated by a crank with one hand and rubbed with the other. Successors, such as Francis Hauksbee, made improvements that provided experimenters with a ready source of static electricity. Today's highly developed descendant of these early machines is the Van de Graaf generator, which is sometimes used as a particle accelerator. Robert Boyle realized that attraction and repulsion were mutual and that electric force was transmitted through a vacuum. Stephen Gray distinguished between conductors and nonconductors. C. F. Du Fay recognized two kinds of electricity, which Benjamin Franklin and Ebenezer Kinnersley of Philadelphia later named positive and negative.
    Progress quickened after the Leyden jar was invented in 1745 by Pieter van Musschenbroek. The Leyden jar stored static electricity, which could be discharged all at once. In 1747 William Watson discharged a Leyden jar through a circuit, and comprehension of the current and circuit started a new field of experimentation. Henry Cavendish, by measuring the conductivity of materials (he compared the simultaneous shocks he received by discharging Leyden jars through the materials), and Charles A. Coulomb, by expressing mathematically the attraction of electrified bodies, began the quantitative study of electricity.
    A new interest in current began with the invention of the battery. Luigi Galvani had noticed (1786) that a discharge of static electricity made a frog's leg jerk. Consequent experimentation produced what was a simple electron cell using the fluids of the leg as an electrolyte and the muscle as a circuit and indicator. Galvani thought the leg supplied electricity, but Alessandro Volta thought otherwise, and he built the voltaic pile, an early type of battery, as proof. Continuous current from batteries smoothed the way for the discovery of G. S. Ohm's law, relating current, voltage (electromotive force), and resistance, and of J. P. Joule's law of electrical heating. Ohm's law and the rules discovered later by G. R. Kirchhoff regarding the sum of the currents and the sum of the voltages in a circuit are the basic means of making circuit calculations.
    In 1819 Hans Christian Oersted discovered that a magnetic field surrounds a current-carrying wire. Within two years André Marie Ampère had put several electromagnetic laws into mathematical form, D. F. Arago had invented the electromagnet, and Michael Faraday had devised a crude form of electric motor. Practical application of a motor had to wait 10 years, however, until Faraday (and earlier, independently, Joseph Henry) invented the electric generator with which to power the motor. A year after Faraday's laboratory approximation of the generator, Hippolyte Pixii constructed a hand-driven model. From then on engineers took over from the scientists, and a slow development followed; the first power stations were built 50 years later.

Source : Google..
    and Full name of Volta is Allesandro Volta .
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    That's a very nice history of electricity. Thanks for that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, I know this has been asked many times but i am going to ask it again anyway. For the past week i have been reading different project idea...
Engineering sustainabilty conference Aril 19-21 2009 in Pittsburg, USA covering sustainabilty and green design. Engineering Sustainability 2009 Conference | Mascaro Center for Sustainable Innovation | University of Pittsburgh I'll probably...
Many software professionals today are looking out to sharpen their technical skills and knowledge in their respective areas. The cut throat competition has propelled them to continuously update their technical...
(MMD Newswire) February 27, 2009 -- Whilst Lance Armstrong and his Tour de France cohorts are quite rightly focused on trimming the last second off their race time, the real...
I had a conversation with a fellow forum leader few days back. He offered to award my company a project to develop a Facebook extension/application for his forum. This application...