Which Semester Is The Toughest? Why?

Which Semester Is The Toughest? Why?

This question is for all our CS/IT engineering students. Which semester do they think it the toughest and why? Is there any particular subject/group of subjects they think is the most difficult or it there any other reason?

Answer:

I spoke with college students in my alma mater. The common answer that I received from almost all the students is that the 2nd and 4th semesters are the toughest ones across all the engineering branches.

In most of the engineering colleges and Universities, the toughest subject taught in the second semester is “Engineering Mathematics”.

This subject seems to be the toughest one for almost all engineering students. First, because it involves solving complex mathematical equations, calculus, derivations and integrations, Fourier transforms and all.

Toughest Semester for CS Students

Again, it’s the second and the fourth semester in most of the universities and colleges. Subjects like Computer Networks and Theory of Computation seems to be tough nuts to crack.

Some of the colleges have recently included AI as a subject; which seems to be difficult to grasp in second semester.

Toughest Semester for Electrical Engineering

For electrical engineering students, every semester is tough! No, don’t laugh at me. Everything in EE revolves around imagining. During my times, HV engineering was one of the toughest subjects taught in the fourth semester. Other subjects which were considered difficult by most of my friends were Electrical Machines.

It involved knowing lot of calculations related to voltage, current, phases and so on.

Toughest Semester for Mechanical Engineering

The subject of thermodynamics seems to be among the tough ones taught in second semester of mechanical engineering. I could be wrong here, but that’s what I’ve been told.

Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer are the subjects typically taught in the fourth semester; which is one of the toughest for mechanical engineers.

Toughest Semester for Civil Engineering

For civil engineers, it looks like Advanced Concrete Design and structural analysis are the most difficult subjects taught in fourth semester.

I’d like to know from our fellow CEans which semester is the toughest for them.

Replies

• Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    I think,the semester with subjects-Microprocessor,Theory of Automata and DBMS is the most interesting and at the same time tough as well.This group of subjects,at starting,seems so elusive,maybe because they are different from the subjects we study in previous semesters.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I find 1st sem is hardest. 1st time we have learned, how to adjust and study at last moment of exams.😨.I still remember the faces of my friends in 1st sem exams, specially in Mechanical paper.
    Most problem with the subjects in which it is unpredictable that what kind of paper we are going to face, theory or numerical like DAA, computer architecture, Networks etc....
    I find most interesting subjects are Operating systems, Automata by Cohen and Object oriented and programming.
  • manishks
    manishks
    I am in 4th sem and i find 4th sem to be toughest. We have microprocessors and computer organisation. At first its difficult to understand these subjects but then when you start understanding them they become very intresting. 😀
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I think 3rd-4th semester are toughest. In 1st and 2nd semester we had subjects syncing with 12th studies, you know like physics, maths, introduction to programming, basic electronics etc. But as 3rd semester came, things went high, actual study started and then you have to adjust yourself. After that you adapt the system.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looking forward to more responses. I'm quite sure we've a large pool of computer engineers 😀
  • nareshkumar6539
    nareshkumar6539
    I completed my engineering from JNTU hyderbad affilcated college.For me every semister is toughest because every semister atlest 2 subjects are toughest.Most toughest subject for me in my engineering is Software Engineering
    2-1 Computer Organization,DBMS
    2-2 Microprocessor,Principle Of communication
    3-1 Computer Networks ,os,DAA
    3-2 information security, nueral networks
    4-1 all subjects are tough subjects
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Guys, tough of all!!! Probability and Queuing theory in Semester 4 for CSE!!! I would never say that DSP a.k.a. Degree Stopping Paper a.k.a. Digital Signal Processing is really tough... Seriously I don't understand, why people had named it so... At the first attempt I got 78! 😛
    PS: I never attended a DSP class in the college. 😛
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I only found the third semester tough. And the only reason was a subject called 'Mathematics-3'. 😕 The syllabus had all sorts of Integration and Derivation related formulae, which I found really difficult to recall during the exams.

Speaking of which, I wonder why don't they just let us keep formula sheets during the theory exams? What is the use of mugging up formulae? The technique is where the focus should be on.
  • sookie
    sookie
    AbraKaDabra
    I only found the third semester tough. And the only reason was a subject called 'Mathematics-3'. 😕 The syllabus had all sorts of Integration and Derivation related formulae, which I found really difficult to recall during the exams.

Speaking of which, I wonder why don't they just let us keep formula sheets during the theory exams? What is the use of mugging up formulae? The technique is where the focus should be on.
    I guess if you know the derivation, you need not to mug up the formula,you will remember it.

I guess first semester was difficult for me when we had mainly Electrical & Electronics related subjects.
  • sparsh jain
    sparsh jain
    i m 4th yr(7th sem) student of CSE branch
    i m truly saying that SPT, microprocessor, Artificial intelligence, embedded system, theory of automata, digital signal processing, computer organisation compiler design are the toughest subject in computer science engineering...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Great responses, keep them coming 😀
  • imgopi
    imgopi
    nareshkumar6539
    I completed my engineering from JNTU hyderbad affilcated college.For me every semister is toughest because every semister atlest 2 subjects are toughest.Most toughest subject for me in my engineering is Software Engineering
    2-1 Computer Organization,DBMS
    2-2 Microprocessor,Principle Of communication
    3-1 Computer Networks ,os,DAA
    3-2 information security, nueral networks
    4-1 all subjects are tough subjects
    ............Hi friend but in opinion 4-1 is very easy compared with all
  • bigbaby
    bigbaby
    I did it under VTU, Karnataka and I find 2nd year the toughest. 3rd year is okay but not easy though.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    I did't find a whole semester tough.In fact, there were few subjects that made it that way.
    Electronic Devices and Circuits
    Embedded Systems
    Microprocessors and Inerfacing
    Advanced Computer Architecture.
    As you can see I am not a big fan of Electronics 😛
    But the plus point was that in each of these semesters there was one programming language or other that made it comfortable for me.. I love programming 😛
  • sparsh jain
    sparsh jain
    i m in 8th semester, according to me compiler construction, theory of automata r the toughest subject in computer science and all other subjects are intresting...
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Most student's find transforms difficult the sem dominated by transforms is often the most difficult for most students
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nick_Sharma
    I did't find a whole semester tough.In fact, there were few subjects that made it that way.
    Electronic Devices and Circuits
    Embedded Systems
    Microprocessors and Inerfacing
    Advanced Computer Architecture.
    As you can see I am not a big fan of Electronics 😛
    But the plus point was that in each of these semesters there was one programming language or other that made it comfortable for me.. I love programming 😛
    For a computer geek electronics is like torment I find Data structures the most horrid subject of the lot But all of electronics is more or less simple for me
  • max0077
    max0077
    The_Big_K
    This question is for all our CS/IT engineering students. Which semester do they think it the toughest and why? Is there any particular subject/group of subjects they think is the most difficult or it there any other reason?
    i think 1st and 2nd semesters are the hardest one because they are first step of engg. and there is nothing related to computer science and there are subjects like basic mechanical engineering ,engineering mechanics ,basic civil engineering and this kind of other subjects ;we don't use these in future ever..
  • rashmi_rajawat
    rashmi_rajawat
    no doubt last sem
    subjects! u can always deal with them, your dream job can take shit load of efforts...😛
  • Smriti Jha
    Smriti Jha
    Engineering Maths-III was a total nightmare. 4-5th sem was the toughest period for me. Maybe because it's the transition period from amateur to virtuoso.
  • engineer zaroor banunga
    engineer zaroor banunga
    for those people who find maths always difficult for them,please practice maths very much,lots of time must be invested in it,then and then only you can solve it,other subjects depend upon your personal choice,some find the programming one's are difficult but you can clear the subjects by just studying the theory part,some find electronics related subjects to be difficult but again the theory part(i.e the non-numerical part) can do the magic.but finally don;t mess with maths coz almost 80% of the crowd don't know how to solve it.good luck
  • Anup Saha
    Anup Saha
    I am in 2nd Semester.
    HELp me to prepare early and get selected in campus.
  • usaid kalsekar
    usaid kalsekar
    according to me , 2nd sem is the thoughest because we got subjects like (programming in c)etc ..which are new and very hard to understand at that level.
    but 3rd sem is also knows as the hardest of all time just because of maths#3 in it.
    but don't worry buddy everything is easy and fine if you study.. ;-)...
  • Kumar Hemjeet
    Kumar Hemjeet
    None dude !! its ur choice how u deal with it !!
  • Goutam Sharma
    Goutam Sharma
    sir,
    i want to ask that i score 50% in 10 and 60% in 12 and 61% in B.TECH so through cdac i have any issue to sit in top MNC companies like TCS, IBM, Accenture etc please give me the answer for this if i am in course of bigdataa
  • Murali krishna Gangineni
    Murali krishna Gangineni
    I felt my 5th sem to be very tough which contains subjects of "OS, DBMS, Computer Graphics, Theory of computations". The next toughest semester is 6th sem which consists of "Analysis & Design f algorithms", "Compiler Design" etc.
  • Asif97
    Asif97
    How is eccf subject?
    Sem 3 ..
    Mumbai university!!
  • Asif97
    Asif97
    What abt ECCf ?
    Sem 3 subject..
    Comp engg
    MU
  • KSPtechsavvy
    KSPtechsavvy
    Hello, I am currently in the 7th semester and in the first six semesters I will say that networks related subjects are tough as lot of mugging and lots of theory. Other than networks, automata is also hard. Microprocessor related subjects are tough as well. A whole semester is never tough, it is one or two subjects which are tough in every semester.
  • KSPtechsavvy
    KSPtechsavvy
    rashmi_rajawat
    no doubt last sem
    subjects! u can always deal with them, your dream job can take shit load of efforts...😛
    How can last semester be tough? In fact last semester has only four subjects and checking is also light compared to previous years. Previous semesters have five to six subjects. Comparatively workload in last semester is less as there are less subjects.
  • Dhana lakshmi
    Dhana lakshmi
    Actually. At my junior college I belong to biology group. Thn I joined in IT. So for me 1st semester. Omg on my 1st programming paper. I won't forget tat day. I just when and think about my life. but crazy I got 's' grade. Woowwww❤
  • Suraj Jaiswal
    Suraj Jaiswal
    The first 2 semester of the cse are most difficult and find it difficult too.Even I have found on the most visited websites having the same cause.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Happy Earth day to all the CEans..😀 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Day
as we all know that a four wheel drive vehicle is that in which the engine supplies power to all four wheels of the car. now do four wheel drives...
The smugglers cut the bottle in half, stuffed iPhones in it, and then pushed it close. Creative, eh? Only if they had considered placing less iPhones in a bottle, 'cos...
I stumbled upon this awesome video that shows chemistry at work. The video is really cool. Can the Chemical engineers here tell us some more information about the chemicals used...
Summer training in hp is being organised. Details are available on hpesindia.com I wanted to know if anyone joined summer training by hp in 2011? Please share your experience! 😀