Which programming language should I learn first?

In my times, almost everyone began with C programming language. But I do know a lot of people who started with programming with BASIC and even FORTRAN & PASCAL. Today, the choice of languages is wider with rapid application building languages like Ruby making its way to developer community. If you were to recommend a programming language to an engineering student who's completely new to the world of coding, which programming language would you recommend and why?

Replies

• lovejeet
    lovejeet
    c++ can be a first language. Reasons are that
    1) it is an easy language.
    2) It is an object oriented language so the concept of oops can be easily learned.
    3) other languages can be very easily learned with c++ as a base, such as java, c#, .net etc.
    In many of the schools c++ is taught as an optional subject in 11th and 12th like KV schools.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I am not sure, if this is appropriate answer, but I believe before learning language, one should rather learn How to define logic

Doesn't matter if you know a number of languages but if you don't know how to draw a basic flowchart, that we learn in class 6th, then it is not of any value

To be specific , I will say c++, it is basic, and has everything to learn programming concepts
  • Ajay Pandey
    Ajay Pandey
    As my experience to learn any language is very easy but to learn basics is very difficult.
    First of all basic C then basic Object Oriented concepts and after that C++ and then again Object oriented concepts in deep (because without OOPS knowledge cannot design good application) and then core java,j2ee,hibernate,struts 2.0,spring......whatever u like โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Logic of course is a basic must (foundation) for any programming language. Because programming language itself is just a representation of the logic using keywords specific to that language. I'm surprised C didn't pop-up as a recommendation because it's always been the most basic, structured programming language. But interesting to see all the responses. I'm looking for Java and PHP as recommended languages to begin your programming journey.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Manish Goyal
    I am not sure, if this is appropriate answer, but I believe before learning language, one should rather learn How to define logic

Doesn't matter if you know a number of languages but if you don't know how to draw a basic flowchart, that we learn in class 6th, then it is not of any value

To be specific , I will say c++, it is basic, and has everything to learn programming concepts
    This pretty much sums up the question.

If the thought process is established, languages are just matter of syntax.
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    In my opinion one must start with C (as in my case this proved beneficial for me to learn programming).When I took admission in IT i was absolutely ignorant about the field and somehow managed to pass in c++.But then in vacations I went through c concepts and my base got so clear that now I'm enjoying programming.
    yes,logic is a must ,but understanding basics is much needed and often ignored by most..
    Summary: one must start with c-level languages to grasp the basics . ๐Ÿ‘
  • Prashant Munshi
    Prashant Munshi
    I will counter this question with Which language you spoke first. May be your mother tongue! and which language you knew before that?

Actually any language - vernacular or computer is collection words. We may call them by keywords when it comes to a computer language. Then there are certain rules we need to follow to make phrases / sentences. We may call them clauses when it comes to computer languages. The rules are called grammar for vernacular languages. We may call the same thing as syntax when it comes to computer languages.

So what I am trying to argue is - why the question should arise at all? You may start with any computer language. Many of the members here have suggested C, C++, Basic etc to start with. Really in my case I directly started with Oracle SQL and PL/SQL which I am expert in. I studied them directly and even now I don't know any of the recommended languages here in previous posts. So my argument stems from my own experience. And this was same same argument I forwarded to myself when I started studying Oracle SQL and PL/SQL.

I agree with those authors saying "logic" is the most important part of programming, that is subject which may be learned but not taught. And the same is present in every sane person. So I also believe anybody, almost anybody, irrespective of education background can start learning programming in any language he likes.
  • Jason Estibeiro
    Jason Estibeiro
    In my opinion, I think one should start with Python.

1. Python is one of the few languages where readability of the code is one of the most features of it. Python code looks like pseudo-code and even people with no exposure to python can read chunks of python code and understand what is going on.

2. Many US universities now have their Introduction to Computer Science class with Python as their language preference.

Can't think of more reasons but this cartoon sums it up ... ๐Ÿ˜‰

main-qimg-8fe7a8d9c4633b1d86aba0c975b733ed
  • Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    My school syllabus made me start with BASIC as said by @#-Link-Snipped-# sir. I believe that starting with C would also be good for concepts and developing logic. I too agree with @#-Link-Snipped-# about Python.
  • Chaitanya Kukde
    Chaitanya Kukde
    Python is pretty easy to learn but lacks the C-ish syntax structure. It is recommendable for the following:

1. Simulation packages like MATLAB, Scilab, etc. use Python-ish syntax.

2. As @#-Link-Snipped-# pointed out, code readability is dramatically increased with Python allowing programmers to use 10% of the code required by other languages, such as C.

3. Python lets you focus on skills rather than syntax; since python syntax is pretty much intuitive.

4. Huge standard library.

5. Python's interpreter allows feature testing while writing programs. this allows the programmer to test parts of code in real-time and change them for the desired results without compiling the entire code.

Having said that the choice for first programming language depends on individual goals, job opportunities, job sector, etc.
  • Sushant Kumar
    Sushant Kumar
    As c is the mother of all languages it should be learnt first and after that we can choose to study any language .Many believe that c and c++ are same and c++ is advanced so we should study the advanced version rather than going for the basic version but that thought is fully wrong
  • sookie
    sookie
    If you love knowing more inside happening of machines with a program start with C and machine languages but if you want to take traditional way of programming with C to some new innovative level try to explore advanced languages (e.g. Java my all time favorite). At the end, in programming only logical thinking matters more than language.
  • Preetika
    Preetika
    According to me,,,,first the person must have the logic building ability,,,,,,then any language he/she can easily understand and implement.
    otherwise.......c,c++ as basic languages to startup with.......and asp.net,vb.net,php........python....etc....can easily be understood
  • moksh
    moksh
    I started With LOGO...lol , then it was C then C++ then Java and then More java.. ๐Ÿ‘
  • avii
    avii
    Python, always.
  • Mrinmoy Swarnakar
    Mrinmoy Swarnakar
    Logic is important as mentioned earlier, but understanding the logic using a language makes it appropriate for a person to learn other languages easily as after learning a language one can make comparisons with the first language he/she learned.
    In my opinion one should learn C first then concepts of OOP then C++. After that you can learn any language easily.
  • omkaradg
    omkaradg
    Everyone should start with c, its easy to learn and mother of almost all languages.
    Then c++ for understanding oops concept. Once your c and c++ are strong you will not have any language barrier.
  • Nisam
    Nisam
    Hi guys..,

Programming logic is important.. if you have logical idea in programming, you can choose any programming language or switch from one language to any other languages.. ๐Ÿ˜€

Visit
  • Vidisha Singh
    Vidisha Singh
    Hello sir,
    I want to kno which one is better to learn according to demand of
    Market , java or php.
  • ManojKiran Eda
    ManojKiran Eda
    I wish Python should be the first language that should be learnt.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    MANOJ KIRAN
    Why Python over others? It'd be great if you could add some justification to your opinion; so that we all are informed.
  • Nisam
    Nisam
    Hi Vidisha Singh..

I am working as PHP programmer last two years, and I will recommend you to choose PHP ๐Ÿ˜€. Java is pretty good, but now a days companies choose php for their web section and you have a plenty of opportunity over here.. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Happy Programming ๐Ÿ˜€

Regards,
    Nisam P
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vidisha Singh
    Hello sir,
    Market , java or php.
    Both Java & PHP have their own markets and as a programmer you should not restrict yourself to any specific language. PHP is easier to learn (a general opinion about the language), so it could be a great language to start. Once you gain some expertise in PHP, you might learn Java as well.

That said, there are ample job opportunities for skilled PHP and Java developers.
  • Vidisha Singh
    Vidisha Singh
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Both Java & PHP have their own markets and as a programmer you should not restrict yourself to any specific language. PHP is easier to learn (a general opinion about the language), so it could be a great language to start. Once you gain some expertise in PHP, you might learn Java as well.

That said, there are ample job opportunities for skilled PHP and Java developers.
    Thanks a lot
    Actually i hv 4 mnths free nd in this duration of time i want command on php or java. Dats y i hv asked which one shud better java or php.

By d way tnx a lot๐Ÿ˜€
  • Vidisha Singh
    Vidisha Singh
    Nisam
    Hi Vidisha Singh..

I am working as PHP programmer last two years, and I will recommend you to choose PHP ๐Ÿ˜€. Java is pretty good, but now a days companies choose php for their web section and you have a plenty of opportunity over here.. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Happy Programming ๐Ÿ˜€

Regards,
    Nisam P
    Thanks mr. Nisam
    Me to want to learn php. Lots of people suggest me for this.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Nisam
    Nisam
    Vidisha Singh
    Thanks mr. Nisam
    Me to want to learn php. Lots of people suggest me for this.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
    All the very best Vidisha Singh..๐Ÿ˜€
  • Arial
    Arial
    I think at the beginig should work on programming logic but C first,then C++ are the best for starting
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I would like to invite the opinions from #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# and anyone who thinks they can share their two cents on the topic. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • RAD MUKUL
    RAD MUKUL
    If u really want to learn programming... 2 things u have to proceed..
    1st -> Make a strong concepts on the logic to be applied on programming AND
    2nd -> Go for C++ and JAVA. This two languages will help u widely in and development and prototyping.
  • Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    I'm not a Dev, and i'm still a n00b at programming and also i'm concentrating only on the web developing. Even though on web developing (mostly on back-end) we need to implement java, php, etc., for that too, the basic language seems C/C++. So C and/or C++ might be the first language we should learn?

And AFAIK, computer programming is something like spider web, we cannot full fill with a single language.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    sharfudeen
    I'm not a Dev, and i'm still a n00b at programming and also i'm concentrating only on the web developing. Even though on web developing (mostly on back-end) we need to implement java, php, etc., for that too, the basic language seems C/C++. So C and/or C++ might be the first language we should learn?

And AFAIK, computer programming is something like spider web, we cannot full fill with a single language.
    Agreed because of the last line. Believe in breadth knowledge instead of depth (times have changed now).

Coming to the question, start of with C, know the reasons why arrays, linked lists and other data structures were introduced. And, unless you see the irritating exceptions like "Memory Leak" and sudden program crashes, you wont understand the greatness of python and other such languages!
  • Mohamedi Saidi
    Mohamedi Saidi
    For me i was studied Pascal programming language for now i want to jump to C
    Please anyone with C concepts direct me where to start please
  • WARDHAMAN BEDMUTHA
    WARDHAMAN BEDMUTHA
    Vidisha Singh
    Hello sir,
    Market , java or php.
    current market - java
    upcoming -python
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    1)I would recommend C and C++ for anyone who want to make Standalone application . The reason is with C you will learn about most of thing we done in programming i.e. Taking input(validation),output Result ,functions,arrays etc. And for OOPS concepts learn C++. if you make your concept clear in both of these languages then it is not much difficult to switch other languages ,there is very less difference b/w the syntax.

2)For the one who want to make web application better start with HTML because no matter which language you use every language is rendered as HTML in browsers.after that you can learn CSS and JavaScript as addon and after that any server side scripting language you feel comfortable in. And i even recommend Java(servlets, jsp, struts) as comparison to ASP.NET(C#.NET) ,because as much i know there is very less cooked material is available to user in most famous IDE of java(Eclipse, NetBeans) as comparison to Visual Studio ,which is very user friendly(depends on you how you take it as a plus point or negative point).
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Mohamedi Saidi
    For me i was studied Pascal programming language for now i want to jump to C
    Please anyone with C concepts direct me where to start please
    if u are asking where to read C language ,i will recommend you to Start reading from C PRIMER ,and for videos go for Lynda.com C Essential Training, Book and the video lectures are kind of costly ,Lynda.com gives free subscription for 10-15 days and if you have no problem with piracy ,both are available on internet for free.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    MANOJ KIRAN
    When you talk of programming, its not about building an application or writing a piece of code that can automate your work. It's way beyond that....

To get started, you need to know the various concepts of programming, how the system executes each and every line of your code, the limitations associated with each operation, the alternatives available in terms of data storage and processing, optimizations that are worth trying etc.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to get such information, when you begin your programming using a high level programming language like python. It is because, these languages use exceedingly high levels of abstraction in the functionalities that they provide. While this is very powerful aspect from a developer's point of view, a student will not gain much from such an abstraction. The wisdom that separates a good programmer from an average programmer remains in the black box as a result of this abstraction.

On the other hand, when a student starts his/her programming voyage with a comparatively low-level language such as C or C++, he/she is not spoon-fed. He/she has to know the aspects associated with the language, features provided, their limitations etc. before he/she can implement a code. This allows him/her to start from scratch and explore the various concepts of programming in a more grounded way.

Once, the principles are well-understood, the student can very well migrate to higher languages like Java, Python.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I think the selection of first programming language totally depends on what you wanna develop. Being user-space/kernel-space aspirant and then amateur developer, I was never interested in other languages than C and Assembly. And if people say you need knowledge of more than one language to survive in this market, it's plain bullshit. I only know C, Assembly (I am not as good in asm as I am in C) and some random tricks like finding/fixing memory leaks, using optimizations, how to use Valgrind & GDB.

What I mean is, choose the first language of programming as per your interest. Python is really nice simple language, and I won't hesitate even once to recommend it as first language.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Pointing readers to another discussion on similar lines: Which Programming Language Should You Learn?
  • Mohamedi Saidi
    Mohamedi Saidi
    Jatin Asija
    if u are asking where to read C language ,i will recommend you to Start reading from C PRIMER ,and for videos go for Lynda.com C Essential Training, Book and the video lectures are kind of costly ,Lynda.com gives free subscription for 10-15 days and if you have no problem with piracy ,both are available on internet for free.
    thanks alot
  • Moubani Basu
    Moubani Basu
    Interest,Dedication and Practice which are required to master in any programming language. C and PHP will be great to begin with.
  • Mohamedi Saidi
    Mohamedi Saidi
    ok thanks alot

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google is toning up its Chromebook muscles in India, and adding to the effort is Samsung Chromebook that was recently launched for Rs 26,990/-. The Samsung Chromebook could be availed...
Google Nexus 7 - the Android Jelly Bean OS featuring tablet is now launched in India at an attractive price point across all the cities. The price of Google Nexus...
Swiss engineers have found a way to increase the throughput capacity of fiber optic networks by 10x. The engineers tweaked the shape of light pulses to reduce the space between...
I want to write a script to -read and write Database -send http request/response to server Which is the best language I can use? Perl or Python? I am not...
Maybe this should go to the Chem E section. However, the principle demands a wider audience. So here. Non Newtonian fluids have a force/viscosity relationship. Higher the applied force greater...