Which mail client(like outlook or thunderbird) is better?

Which mail client(like outlook or thunderbird) is best one?

Which is more secure? I want to know about opensource clients

post your vote too..

Replies

• senthilm
    senthilm
    waiting for your replies members..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thunderbird is by Mozilla & its Open Source, whereas Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office (and also available separately).

I believe there's no competition between Thunderbird or Outlook. Outlook is much more than just a mail client and typically used in offices to handle mail, meetings, scheduling, conferences etc.

I personally use Outlook to handle all my email. The only disadvantage I've noticed so far is that when your mailbox grows beyond several hundred MBs, Outlook degrades in performance. However, the performance may depend on lot of other factors as well.

I haven't faced any security issues with Outlook 2007. It works great and it's very good at handling email.

However, you should keep watch on Thunderbird. They released their latest beta 3-4 days ago and it looks promising. However, functionally its nowhere near to Outlook.

Outlook is NOT free (rather very costly) and Thunderbird is free. If you are not a heavy mail user, I'd recommend Thunderbird to you. Else, Outlook's got no option.

There are several open source mail clients available in the market. Thunderbird and Opera Mail client (not sure if its open source) are the ones you might consider. Else, there's Pandora Mail too.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Addendum:

How could I miss evolution? Evolution comes very close to Outlook; but its currently available on on Linux platforms. Windows version of Evolution was released, however I"m not too sure about its performance.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I've used outlook once, the one that came with office xp. The poor bugger pleaded me to stop when I tried synchronizing it with my gmail inbox which has about 1GB of e-mails ๐Ÿ˜

Currently use Evolution
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mad_scientist
    I've used outlook once, the one that came with office xp. The poor bugger pleaded me to stop when I tried synchronizing it with my gmail inbox which has about 1GB of e-mails ๐Ÿ˜

Currently use Evolution
    How did you synch it up with Gmail? POP or IMAP?

My guess is that IMAP loads slower with Gmail. ๐Ÿ˜ก
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Yes, it was IMAP..
  • gohm
    gohm
    I use Outlook heavily at work as do many folks. I've never heard of the other options. I use web based for personal e-mail. POP linking via a pc based e-mail client to me is too much of a pain. I freely admit I am an IT dunce so that may be why, laugh.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Outlook does the job perfectly and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a good software to manage email.

As I said, the only issue I faced is with Outlook's performance when the mailbox grows over a GB.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Though I am using Outlook as per my company policies. However I am a big fan of Thunderbird, which I used in my earlier organization.

Meanwhile, Biggi Thunderbird had all the features which which Outlook had like mail, meetings, scheduling, conferences etc.

-CB
  • senthilm
    senthilm
    Most of you Suggested thunderbird and evolution.I will use and post my reviews in this thread.Thanks for the response, forum members.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Have you tried Windows Mail (Earlier called Outlook Express). It does the job as well.
  • senthilm
    senthilm
    I see.Not yet I tried this windows mail. I am new user to mail clients.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What operating system do you have? If its Vista, you should see Windows Mail. Configuring it is very easy.

If you have XP, you'll have Outlook Express. Check them out.

However, unless you are absolutely sure that you want to use Desktop Mail client, continue using web mail client.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    I prefer Thunderbird, that works best for gmail but for other email server such as yahoo you have to download softwares like pop peeper but thats illegal as stated by yahoo terms & conditions.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vik001ind
    I prefer Thunderbird, that works best for gmail but for other email server such as yahoo you have to download softwares like pop peeper but thats illegal as stated by yahoo terms & conditions.
    Yahoo enabled POP for its accounts, right? Or they're still rigid.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have been using Outlook since 3 years ๐Ÿ˜€

I dont have any idea of the others.

Thanks for posting this will learn a bit about these ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    By the way, I am surprised that outlook couldn't get a place in the Poll.

-CB
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    The_Big_K
    Yahoo enabled POP for its accounts, right? Or they're still rigid.
    Free yahoo email service doesn't allow pop access.
    you can get POP access with yahoo! mail plus for $20 / year.
    I read it from here!
    #-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want to know what happens when a.c. current flows through semiconductor ,and what are its drawbacks. i learnt about skin effect, and want to know about any other considerable...
/www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.com/homegardenimages/1.gif
hello guys i am giving a link please read this article and give me your response ... do u think is it possible Get ready for fun - hardware interfacing...
hey guys can any one help me learning about telnet... i want to learn it... can anyone help me how to use it...with some working commands....??????
Hello friends please post all your computer related articles here. No writing skill required. Just post articles as your views. Don't copy anyone's article,please keep all post original. Thank You....