Which is noisy?

Hey guys... Which gear is noisy?

Spur or Bevel?

Reason?

Replies

• Al-Otaiby
    Al-Otaiby
    In spur gears teeth suddenly meet at a line contact across their entire width causing stress and noise. Spur gears make a characteristic whine at high speeds. Whereas spur gears are used for low speed applications and those situations where noise control is not a problem, the use of helical gears is indicated when the application involves high speeds, large power transmission, or where noise abatement is important. The speed is considered to be high when the pitch line velocity exceeds 25 m/s.

You have different types of bevel gears, with straight bevel gears, the abrupt tooth engagement causes noise, especially at high speeds, and impact stress on the teeth which makes them unable to take heavy loads at high speeds without breaking. For these reasons straight bevel gears are generally limited to use at linear speeds less than 1000 feet/min; or, for small gears, under 1000 r.p.m.

So the conclusion is; spur gears are more noisy.
  • viky1147
    viky1147
    ^^
    Well done
  • suryan
    suryan
    N.Gowtham Raj

Spur or Bevel?

Reason?
    spur gears bcoz as for the design of the spur gears, when the meshing of the two gears make comtact with each other there,firction is developed an so it makes noisy
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    The involute form of the spur gear teeth helps reduce the noise as it allows for smooth tranisition between the teeth.
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Spur or Bevel?
    Reason?
    "BEVEL GEAR"
    The advantage of the spiral tooth over the straight tooth is that they engage more gradually. The contact between the teeth starts at one end of the gear and then spreads across the whole tooth. This results in a less abrupt transfer of force when a new pair of teeth come in to play. With straight bevel gears, the abrupt tooth engagement causes noise, especially at high speeds, and impact stress on the teeth which makes them unable to take heavy loads at high speeds without breaking. For these reasons straight bevel gears are generally limited to use at linear speeds less than 1000 feet/min; or, for small gears, under 1000 r.p.m
    Gears made of non – Metallic materials give noiseless operation at high peripheral speeds.
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    rkvasan68
    "BEVEL GEAR"
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Spur or Bevel?
    Reason?
    "SPUR GEAR"

In spur gears teeth suddenly meet at a line contact across their entire width causing stress and noise. Spur gears make a characteristic whine at high speeds. Whereas spur gears are used for low speed applications and those situations where noise control is not a problem, the use of helical gears is indicated when the application involves high speeds, large power transmission, or where Noise Abatement is important. The speed is considered to be high when the pitch line velocity exceeds 25 m/s.

SOURCE-#-Link-Snipped-#
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    These are all accurate responses. You should have a clear understanding now Gowtham 😎
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    spur gears are noisy. this is because the area of contact between the two meshing teeth is more. so thus to reduce this we have helical gears, whose function is the same as that of spur gears, to transfer power between two parallel shafts, but helical gears have teeth inclined at an angle to the axes of the shafts, thus reducing area of contact and reducing noise

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey Ceans, After some research online I have finalised my final year project and started reading stuffs online...I will be very thankfull to everyone here who will help me by...
In the context of mechanical and automobile engineering, can someone explain in detail the difference between Spindle, Shaft and Axle?
What is the use of Propeller Shaft in each and every vehicle and also plz tell me what is the difference between Front Wheel , Rear Wheel and Four Wheel...
The Third IdeasEmotion Based Music Player: A music player that presents you a playlist based on yourmood.So when you come back home from office having messed up an assignment your...
Hello!!! i have to make a project in management information System, i am totally confused,can any one suggest me any idea about the project. . .?