View Feed
group-icon
Databases
Discuss databases and writing database queries with fellow DB enthusiasts.
296 Members
Join this group to post and comment.

Which is better MySql or MSSql?

Mohit Patil
Mohit Patil • Sep 13, 2019

MySQL is definitely better than MSSQL; considering most of the factors. If I were to pick one from MySQL and MSSQL, I'd go with MySQL. Simply because it's free, time-tested and is open-sourced software that's used by majority of the web portals. I've used it for my personal projects and I've not found anything to complain about. 

Both MySQL and MSSQL are relational databases; and go head-to-head when it comes to performance; which I believe is a matter of fine tuning the database setup and the underlying server hardware. However, in general MySQL will outperform MSSQL for most of the SELECT queries. 

The biggest differentiator is the license that governs the usage of both these DBs. MSSQL is commercial while MySQL is open source. 

Another highlight to care about is the number of supported languages; where MySQL beats MSSQL; with its larger support to programming languages. 

Unless you have a very specific reason to pick MSSQL, you should go with MySQL. There are lot of help articles available and you can get help easily with most common issues you will encounter. 

I'm curious to know about your use case. What are your requirements for which you are comparing MySQL and MSSQL?

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 14, 2019

CrazyEngineers uses MySQL and I can vouch for its performance. It scales pretty well and returns results in microseconds; even for large data-sets; say a ~ million records. I think this will be more than sufficient for whatever that you're working on.

As @Mohit Patil said, you need to tell us a bit more about your project/application so that we can help you make a better choice. 

All the best!

Thanku @Mohit Patil and @Kaustaubh Katdare

Actually I just wanted to know the differences betweenthe two as in our college we have been told to use MSSQL over MySQL.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 15, 2019

That is strange. Has the college offered to use the licenses? Maybe the professor / lecturer knows MSSQL; and that's why they insist on using it. 😀 

All the best! 

Abhishek Rawal
Abhishek Rawal • Sep 15, 2019

Use MariaDB 😉 

Share this content on your social channels -