1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Which Hosting plan is better for an e-commerce website?

Question asked by Vinay Mishra in #Startups & Business on Dec 29, 2019
Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra · Dec 29, 2019
Rank B2 - LEADER

One of my friends is planning to start a business with an e-commerce site. But he's confused in selecting a hosting plan. He needs a yearly plan which is not much costly and with better services.

Can you suggest some?

Posted in: #Startups & Business
Abhishek Rawal
Abhishek Rawal · Dec 30, 2019
Rank A2 - PRO

Why don't you ask him to opt for any public cloud service ?
Start with minimum computes and storage. If traffic is too high to handle in smallest flavour, change the flavour of instance. Require more storage ? Add some and mount on your own.
With services of Amazon, customer support they provide and money you'll be save - it's far better than preferring for old school hosting methods.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Dec 30, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

I can offer a $100 credit from DigitalOcean. This should be enough for them to try with a basic $10 droplet for a few months; assuming it's a simple ecommerce service with moderate traffic. 

That said, it's bit difficult to make a suggestion without knowing the overall scope of the ecommerce website being planned. 

As Abhishek said - you'll have to consider overall storage needs as well. Cloud providers do make it very easy and without having to know anything technical. 

Consider the following points -

1. Does the ecommerce website has huge catelog of products (say 100,000+)?

2. Is it image heavy? Do the images (and maybe videos) need to be hosted on the server? Is it possible to offload them to a good CDN? 

3. Will there be lot of traffic in the first few days - either organic or through paid searches? 

4. Is it going to be a web-based ecommerce website or an app-only approach? 

In general, you can start with DigitalOcean; but if you want a more integrated solution - you might want to go with Amazon AWS. We hosted with AWS for a long time and are moving to DigitalOcean. 

PS: AWS customer support is not free. It costs $100/month. However, their technical support executives are awesome. But for a beginner ecommerce, I think a cheap shared hosting plan should suffice. 

Teja Reddy
Teja Reddy · Jan 3, 2020
Rank C3 - EXPERT

There are several websites which offer best hosting for e commerce websites

Hotgator

Inhoster

Bluehost

A2host

Dreamhost

In my research i found that hotgator is best for hosting ecommerce sites for small stores as it is cheaper than competitors when we compare.
It provides 99.99% uptime which considered to be extremely impressive.
It's plan starts at 2.75$/month.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 4, 2020
Rank A1 - PRO

I've tried most of the web hosts mentioned above. These will definitely help get started. But as I mentioned, the choice of web host depends a LOT on the type, size and scope of the website being hosted. It'd not be wiser to make a recommendation without knowing some more detail about the website. 

Karshil Sheth
Karshil Sheth · Jan 21, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

I would suggest you to use 000webhost.com, netlify or heroku or gitlab. These are free as well as the service is very good. I have deployed my college project on netlify and its very easy using command line. So as a student developer, I use this websites for hosting.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up