Where does google or facebook store such a large amount of data?

I want to know how the big Internet companies like Facebook and Google store the zigabytes of data generated every day. What mechanisms do they use?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Data centres.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Lots of Sub Data centres located all around the globe store the Data
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Google and Facebook own huge data-center facilities. Imagine a football ground full of racks, each containing multiple servers interconnected with each other - and you'll realize how a data center looks like. These big Internet companies own several such data centers at various locations in the world to store all the data created by people every minute.

You can take a virtual tour of Google's data center through Google street view. Here's an introduction video -

• arjun srivastav
    arjun srivastav
    thanks
  • manishks
    manishks
    Yes they use data centres to store large amount of data. I would like to add one more thing!
    Since these data produced are huge and also heterogenous they are referred as Big Data!
    Hence big data analytics is in trend. Apache Hadoop is used to handle this data using map reduce technique.
    Google for more information..
    Thank you 😀😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, I believe Hadoop would be a great discussion on CE. I wonder how many are willing to talk about it. Not many know about it though.
  • manishks
    manishks
    its a completely new thing around. And fb, google, and amazon are already using map reduce technique. According to a survey 70% of indian companies are working on or planning projects on big data analytics. I want to do project using apache hadoop in final year. If we have a discussion on map reduce and hadoop on ce..it would be of great help and informative too!! 😀
  • barath rajamani
    barath rajamani
    take a look into this lecture from Princeton university regarding BIG data

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

sir I want to know introduction of PMC ( programmable motion control )
apprenticeship training for electronics and communication engineering
Absolute Zero's humorous twist : How to go from bad to worse to worst in an interview!"
I want to ask what does the p.f. rating of a machine provide information abt for eg. if it says 0.8 pf lag..thn does it mean tht machine can supply...
Just released new version of Ubuntu packed with exiting new graphical feature . and kind of 1st desktop with apps . Whats the tagline?? Check new features Download Ubuntu 12.10...