When Did Apple Come Up With Its First Touch Screen Prototype?

Yes, you read the question right! When do you think apple developed its first prototype of a touch screen? If your answer was “around 2007”, I am sorry to say that you got it wrong! I won’t blame you for it because that is the answer any one would give but it has been revealed recently that Apple’s interest in the touch technology dates back to 1983! Yes, a prototype of the device was uncovered recently and it dates back to 1983.

[​IMG]

It looks like a landline telephone with a touch screen attached to it. It is a simple one because it is a monochrome one so its not much complex compared to the present age touch screens. But it must have been so complicated and difficult to build one in 1983! It was well ahead of the times. It also had a stylus for the input. There is not much clarity about the applications available in the prototype but obviously it never went past the prototype phase. Actually it is better that it never went to production because there are chances that it might have flopped big time too. As I said, it was well ahead of times. In 1983 even Internet did not see widespread usage. It took another decade to do so. And no one would have wanted to barter their pen and paper for a stylus and touch screen. And other companies might have dumped the idea of a touch screen even before they try it out in the market later. And we would not have this wide range of touch screens phones or the tabs.

The designer for the prototype is Hartmut Esslinger, the same guy who made the Apple IIc computer. He was also the founder of Frogdesign, a company that helped design several of Apple’s products back then.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The recent retirement of Indian Metro Man E. Sreedharan, has made atmosphere a little nostalgic for the Indian railways. He was one of the architects for building the Delhi Metro....
Mahindra, one of the leading and renowned auto makers in the Indian market, has never launched its models on platforms like Auto Expo. Mahindra just utilizes the platform to reveal...
Till today the hardcore gamers have felt the buzz of virtual surround sound systems through mid segment headphones. However the year 2012 is going to bring a fantastic challenge to...
Following the leak of Facebook Messenger Client by Israeli blog TechIT, Facebook is now officially out with its messenger client for Windows 7. Facebook Messenger as a mobile app has...
If as a child I was given an option to upgrade my bicycle, I would have opted for an electric motor attached to my rear wheel, which would make my...