When can you call a car a sports utility vehicle or a SUV?

Totally newbie question -

What are the factors or features or categories that help us determine that a car is a SUV?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    SUV's is a new technical word mostly used to describe a large sized station wagon type cars usually built upon light chassis.
    SUV would mostly be a off road four wheel driven vehicle but some companies had built on-road SUV's.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Cars like Mahindra Scorpio, Bolero and Innova are true SUVs, in India.

Other features any SUV should have is 4WD.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    SUV's are mostly tough, off road vehicle build on heavy body type .

Body Type
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# That is a very informative image. Thanks for sharing.
    Another question -What is the difference between a crossover and a SUV?
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Ankita Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# That is a very informative image. Thanks for sharing.
    Another question -What is the difference between a crossover and a SUV?

A Crossover is one which is built on the frame of a car. It is Usually a Unibody Structure i.e. body & frame are one piece whereas
    A SUV is built mostly on the chassis of a Truck (small ones) . Its body is built separately & then assembled with the frame altogether.

Usually Its not easy to differ between them. Both have raised ground clearance & 2 , 4 Wheel Drive.

Hence we mostly hear SUV as it is the safest bet.

hope u get my point.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Catalyst is a techfest organized by the department of computer technology Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering and Research Nagpur Each year the students strive to make the events more exciting...
Hi all, I have graduated in B.E. from Computer Science Engineering in 2012. I'm currently working in Wipro as a project engineer. Its been 10 months since I joined Wipro....
The marriage between electronics and cockroaches isn't incredibly new. Cockroaches have inspired new robot designs, acted as your remote controlled insects and allowed for stealth-mode antics. However, a new development...
The Huawei Ascend Y530 is the latest smartphone cum phablet from the company. Powered by a 1.2GHz Dual-Core Snapdragon 200 processor and an Adreno 203 GPU, the Ascend Y530 is...
Please check screenshot for clarification It will improve thread quality a lot for at least technical sections