WhatsApp Rival From Google May Arrive Soon - Would It Be Better?

A report from Economic Times blew up the entire techblog space this weekend with the news of a WhatsApp rival being planned by Google. This news is as interesting as it is because Google lost the battle to Facebook when trying to acquire WhatsApp. Undeterred, the Google officials are determined with the motto - "If you can't own it, kill it."

For a long time, millions of users are begging for a Desktop variant for WhatsApp, but somehow the company doesn't feel that's the right way to go immediately. Google might've sensed that and could be getting ready with enough to ammo to make a cross-platform messaging app that doesn't require sign-up or sync with Gmail and features a minimal UI (similar to WhatsApp). Plus, it already has Google Hangouts app that it needs to modify.

What are your thoughts on that? Should Facebook's WhatsApp start worrying about Google's entering the mobile messaging domain that vigorously? Will you delete WhatsApp and install the new Google app as and when it arrives?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Ankita Katdare
    Will you delete WhatsApp and install the new Google app as and when it arrives?
    No problem for me. I do not use WhatsApp. My phone is dumb (like the owner!)
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# 😁 The question here is - whether the existing users who are addicted to WhatsApp because all their friends are on it too, will move to Google's Whatsapp Rival?

When Google introduced Facebook rival with Google+, thousands of reports emerged as to whether Zuckerberg's Social Platform will wither away as the tech-giant had taken it upon them to bring a competitor worthy of mass attention. But we all know that Google+ is still only being used by a handful.

(In fact, it's good to see that some of the Google Chiefs out the news about their latest products and updates through Google+ walls)

To truly make a WhatsApp killer app, Google will have to make its existing Hangouts system better. It can be developed to be open, cross platform, cross network and free forever.

(And yeah, no ads please!)
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I believe Google can and will create a whatsapp killer. Google has always been that kind of a company. Killed Yahoo! and MSN, killed the Messenger for good. Facebook is extremely innovative, hence Google+ wasn't able to do the same to FB. But FB hasn't done anything to Whatsapp yet, and unless it does so, Google is going to make a kill. Open Market!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think it's the opposite. Google won't be able to create whatsapp killer. Give me a solid reason for the average user to make the switch! Facebook's still being used by hundreds of millions of people; but it's dying a slow death. People will find their own whatsapp alternative about 2 years from now - and I'm quite sure that it'll be a startup that will benefit.

You need something radically different to be a killer. For example Gmail literally killed hotmail by offering 1GB of storage, when Hotmail was happily offering 2MB. WhatsApp jumped in when the cool kids were looking for Facebook alternative and made the entire 'sign-up' process redundant. Google killed Yahoo and Alta-Vista by being smarter. But I doubt they'll be able to kill WhatsApp.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Contrapunto, you have given more reasons why Google would be able to kill Whatsapp than why it wont.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shashank Moghe
    Contrapunto, you have given more reasons why Google would be able to kill Whatsapp than why it wont.
    Nope. This -

Kaustubh Katdare
    Give me a solid reason for the average user to make the switch!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Google will surely add features which WhatsApp don't have. If it is just replica of WhatsApp, then there is no slight chance. But if they'll add something which is not in WhatsApp then Google might kill this too.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You need something radically different to be a killer. For example Gmail literally killed hotmail by offering 1GB of storage, when Hotmail was happily offering 2MB.
    For the same reason as this. FB hasn't been able to make any changes to Whatsapp, Google will make the kill.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi there, I'm in a dilemma here 😔 I've read the specifications for uploading the files and made the photo, sign and certificate. Still the error shows up in the...
Sir Engineers, do you have any ideas how to calibrate gas sensor mq2 using pic microcontrollers?? Any schematic or circuit for these projects? Thanks..
I have read that , best text book for propulsion is gas turbines , by many of my friends , what do you suggest me friends ?
In a groundbreaking research work at the Ohio State University, a team from the department of Chemistry and Biochemistry has come up with a new device that works as a...
I have been many times warned by my parents for switching the charger on for whole night for charging my smart phone , It would just take 2 hours from...