Whatsapp On Nokia Asha 501 Available Through OTA Software Update

All the Nokia Asha phone users, it is time to rejoice, because WhatsApp is soon coming to the Asha 501 smartphone. Shared today on their official blog - Nokia Conversations, it is now out that Whatsapp for Nokia Asha 501 will be available for free through an the over-the-air (OTA) software update that will start to roll out this week. Those who are new to the messaging platform, should know that Whatsapp lets you send instant messages, photos and videos to your friends over a 2G or Wi-Fi connection. After users download WhatsApp on their Nokia Asha phone, the app will automatically find and add contacts who are already using the messaging service.

A great new feature with the Whatsapp is the Fastlane - a second home screen that acts as a shortcut to favourite apps and content, and features on all Asha Platform devices. It is possible to easily personalise your Fastlane content, configuring which applications can show updates. Users can also get more granular and hide any content they want, item by item. You will also find more services show notifications in Fastlane, including: Odnoklassniki, Sina Weibo, and Renren. Therefore you don't miss out on any Whatsapp activity and using it seems like seamless experience. All WhatsApp message notifications will appear on your Nokia Asha 501 when somebody gets in touch. The app is so designed that it works just like any other app coming pre-installed on the phone, rather than a third-party app.

Nokia-Asha-501-Whatsapp

Another WhatsApp feature lets you start using the phone’s camera simply by swiping up on the Lock screen, and then capturing an image just by touching anywhere on the camera screen. After you’ve taken the shot, it’s another single swipe into the gallery, and you can edit your photos directly from there, with a range of new filters and effects. The software update also has an API for Voice over IP, making it possible to make voice calls over a data connection using social messaging apps such as Nimbuzz.The Asha 501 has also stepped up its business credentials with support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync features keeping you on top of work emails.

Those who are new to OTA software updates can check the following video that gives you a complete walkthrough of the update process -

“Asha 501 will be the first device on the Asha platform to support WhatsApp. The new interface comes with a single swipe camera, single touch share to Facebook and ability to track Facebook comments and likes right from your Fastlane screen,” Nokia India Director Marketing Viral Oza said. WhatsApp, which has now become now available for the Nokia Asha 501 and will come pre-installed on the Nokia Asha 500, Asha 502 and Asha 503 Dual SIM when those phones start selling later this year.

Most Nokia Asha 501 users have probably received the notification already. If not, they can go to “settings” then “phone update” and use mobile data to check for the update. Once it is listed, just press “update”. When the update is done, a WhatsApp launcher will appear on your home screen. Press this to download and install the full app.

Update: Nokia is soon going to bring the standalone WhatsApp client on the Nokia Store. Also, WhatsApp will come pre-loaded on all new Asha 501s fresh from the Nokia factory.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anybody here using a Nokia Asha phone? Please check for the update and write a review for us!
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    iam having Asha 210, it also have preloaded apps like Whatsapp, FB, YouTube etc., I hope it was released earlier than Asha 501
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    My roomie had bought the Nokia Asha 501 and was complaining that it didn't come preloaded with WhatsApp. Currently there are more than 350 million users of this app. Just wanted to say that, she didn't care if she could access Facebook or Twitter from the phone or not. WhatsApp is definitely a winner!
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Ankita Katdare
    My roomie had bought the Nokia Asha 501 and was complaining that it didn't come preloaded with WhatsApp. Currently there are more than 350 million users of this app. Just wanted to say that, she didn't care if she could access Facebook or Twitter from the phone or not. WhatsApp is definitely a winner!
    Agree with you, I too bought this handset to stay away from social websites. Because i had spent more than with FB, twitter,etc. But after bought this, i found it has also a preloaded apps.
    Check this nokia asha 210 with a special whatsapp key inbuilt with the handset.
    Asha-210-WhatsApp-Key-1

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As title mentions, I would like to know the difference between Electric Field Density and Electric Field Intensity.
Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation or IRCTC has launched a new scheme called the e-Wallet on its website (irctc.co.in) to helps users buy train tickets faster in India. The...
Google has rolled out a new news-reading app called Newsstand, that offers Android users a unique place to read or browse through their favorite subscriptions - newspapers, magazines, blogs and...
Huawei has updated its Ascend series of smartphones with the launch of a new Windows 8 OS gadget called the Huawei Ascend W2. The smartphone features a 4.3-inch screen with...
Take a minute. Look around you. Analyse. Home appliances, vehicles, your body, etc. Everything has some factor in common - the burning/reaction of one form of energy to make it...