What's The Difference Between Modem & Router ?

I wanna know what is the difference between Modem & Router ?
For what Modem is used & for Router is used ?
What modem can do which router cannot do & vice-versa.
Please give detailed answer, so all the queries between these two gets cleared right here.
(Sorry if I sound n00b)

Tagging two veteran Communication Engineers : #-Link-Snipped-# & #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Router is a device only used to distribute a single connection to many(eg:In browsing centers,they router is used to route net connection to all computers)
    modem-It can receive the information(data) .It cannot be used as a router to distribute its connection to many pc's.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Modem helps you to send digital data over analog channels viz. phone lines.

Routers and switches are networking devices which route data packets in a network.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anand Tamariya
    Modem helps you to send digital data over analog channels viz. phone lines.
    Routers and switches are networking devices which route data packets in a network.
    So, now a days Routers & modems are embedded in a single system, right ?
    Any disadvantage due to that ?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Abhishek Rawal
    So, now a days Routers & modems are embedded in a single system, right ?
    Any disadvantage due to that ?
    There's no disadvantage.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anand Tamariya
    There's no disadvantage.
    Quoting #-Link-Snipped-# 's post from the thread : Suggest Me Low-end/Mid-end Router. made me wonder, whether his assumption is true or not.

ash
    I would highly recommend you have a separate modem + router. These days modem+router combo devices are under powered and not reliable.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok, in olden days when there was no data as such to be transmitted, the frequency allocated for voice conversation uses about 4 kHz of all the 2MHz of frequency allocation. That is a lot of bandwidth being wasted. Hence , when data started to be used, the most optimal way to make use of this frequency was to use it for data transmission. Hence , data component was also being trasnmitted on this 'audio' /voice channels. Modems here are used to convert data into this audio format / back to digital format. In simple words, its used for modulating and demodulating the signal.

Now a router is completely different device per se. It rather moves the traffic based on the IP addresses, sometimes the ISPs provide you with devices which does functionality of both Modem and Router.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Well, only in your specific case, where your modem shorted, it might be good idea to invest in two separate devices. However, the combo devices are only marginally costly. As per performance and reliability is concerned, most of the devices available in the market are more than sufficient for home networking usage. Personally, I'd not invest in the most exotic variety.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Most of CEans will be knowing OpenWeb, the Opensource version of entire internet! If not read more : https://www.openwebfoundation.org/ I will share few features of OpenWeb, so CEans can share...
Intex India has launched an all new smartphone called the Intel Cloud X3, that has got its own claim to glory by bagging home the title of 'Cheapest QuadCore Smartphone'....
I've been reading on several forums that the computer speakers sound a lot better after the initial 'break in' period. I tried searching online for information on what this break-in;...
I'm planning to buy an external hard drive to store all the photos and videos. They've been occupying just too much space on my machines. The only thing that will...
Can any one tell to make Web browser will be a major or mini project with c#.net. Kindly Reply...