View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12940 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Aug 30, 2019

What's going on at CrazyEngineers?

I thought I'll post a quick update on what's going on at CrazyEngineers -

• We discovered things we 'ignored' in the past have badly hurt our SEO and therefore the traffic to CE from search engines has gone down significantly.

• Since last week, we've been auditing the site and fixing all the SEO errors as we discover them. A TON of bugs have been fixed. For example, the URLs to any page do not end with '/' anymore. Though it does not make any difference to human eyes - web crawlers do make a big deal of it.

• Our mobile web app is almost ready; but SEO issues have taken a priority. We hope to launch the app as soon as possible.

• Start September, we plan to have lots of competitions and activities. However, we need to fix the issues first. 

If you notice anything not working - please bring it to our attention. It will be a great help! apologies for the inconvenience. 

We are with you all the way.

Sure will do.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Aug 31, 2019

Thanks a lot. I'll keep posting updates here and in our official blog as we make progress. 

Anoop Mathew
Anoop Mathew • Sep 1, 2019

Hi Guys, good to see these pointers. I think some display picture images against some folks (eg: Ramani Sir & Ankita) aren't visible on Chrome Mobile Browser. (Nokia 8.1 Android One).

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 1, 2019

@Anoop Mathew - could you confirm that images issue persists even after clearing browser cache? 

Anoop Mathew

RXPG-screenshot-20190901-203555.jpg

6DiP-screenshot-20190901-203544.jpg

Anoop Mathew

Clearing cache has solved this issue!

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 1, 2019

Thanks. We're making a few changes. Site may not be available for short period of times.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 6, 2019

Where there any more instances of images not loading? I'm looking for answers from new members. Is everything working fine? Here's a little teaser for everyone -

Whats happening now? looks like not much of activity? or Am I missing something?

@saandeep sreerambatla , just what I was thinking. I was about to post: 'All is quiet on the waterfront' when I saw your post.

Maybe all CEans are out doing engineering. With Google announcing starting their AI unit in Bangalore, may be robots will make us outdated.

Robots making us outdated , I think thats quite possible now.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 20, 2019

There's no much activity in groups; because we're working extra hard on some of the most important things. 

1. Our mobile app is currently being tested. It has notifications; and it's the most modern piece of technology. Can't wait to show it to all of you. 

2. There's a fundamental change in the approach we're mulling over; that should give our users a solid reason to participate on the site. A ranking system is currently being developed that ranks engineers like Google ranks web pages. I'll talk more about this once we're ready to share more. I'll reach out to all our veterans soon.

3. Our site has had technical issues that led to our traffic going down < 1/10th of what it was. Fixing these issues was our prime concern and we worked extra hard to address all the issues. 

Hopefully, Google will recognize our efforts and restore our search rankings. Google's painfully slow in doing it; but I expect seeing an upswing in traffic and engagement in coming days (or weeks?). 

4. User engagement is now our prime focus - and we were wondering what could we do so that all our members find something useful, informative and interesting upon their visit. A human curated feed - that only contains important, useful, interesting content is currently being considered.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on above points and anything we could do to make CE better for everyone. 

Recruiters should be able to recognize talent from the answers we are providing in a wide variety of subjects just like stack overflow or kaggle. I know we are not just software but some change in addressing that kind of area should help us.( May be) I know your plans are always better so , better I wait.

I see this website is easy to use now through mobile as well. So app will be on similar lines? And do I have got to test it ? ( My old skill / but favourite).

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 20, 2019

@saandeep sreerambatla - you are at the top of our list (like always) whenever it comes to testing anything new we launch here. Just that the few basic bugs are taking longer than expected. Expect something tomorrow. 

Quite often new posts are cluttered with very elementary questions (often poorly written) for which the questioner can get ample answers by an intelligent search on the net.

A serious new visitor may be put off thinking it is not worth spending time on CE.

It is important to help such ‘babes in the wood’. After all they are going to become future engineers. Is it meaningful to create a group for such queries and shift such material to that so that the site shows up serious technical discussions and content?

Exactly, this has to be done . I have one idea by looking at the question we can decide whether it goes into a proper group or coffee room. We can train a nlp model and see where the question fits in, so that the question moves automatically meaning the question will be in the group or it moves to coffee room. I can do that if I have sufficient data. We can run that algorithm late night and move it ? What say you guys?

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 21, 2019

@Ramani Aswath sir, you are right. It's actually a challenge to make people ask proper questions. We plan to reactivate our moderator team here so that most questions are either modified or deleted. One way to do that would be to put questions asked by first-timers in moderation queue and release only after moderator approves it. 

Second, times have changed. We used to have discussions for fun; but now - everyone needs a solid reason to build a discussion. I believe an incentive that users can build their rank by contributing to the discussions, helping others and getting upvotes/likes is a right way to motivate people. 

This should only work in only technical sections and not in coffee room or others where a casual comment can attract likes/upvotes. 

@saandeep sreerambatla - NLP and ML can be deployed; but we aren't working at that volume right now. It's easier to develop and keep running. One thing we've learned in the last few weeks is to launch features / updates / fixes at crazy fast speed. It helps everyone; and bugs can be ironed out really fast. 

I'll talk more about the ranking system; it's currently being tested privately. We hope to have something ready to show early next week. 

So currently I open my chrome , the enter website URL. Then select my Google account to login. It's like a 3 step process. 

So once app is developed we don't need all these things direct login correct ? 

On the other note whenever I press the enter button on my phone it's not going to new line but going to the end of the page. Seems like a bug.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 22, 2019

Yes, just open the app and you are in. We may need to reauthenticate once in a while to keep account secure.

Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra • Sep 23, 2019

I also faced the problem of not getting image(profile picture) of some accounts but it's not the problem of website. It's just the chrome's or system's cache which is creating problem.

we can solve it by clearing it.

Now just waiting for the app.😍 

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 23, 2019

Currently doing touch-ups. Now for those who're interested in trying our mobile app, this one is a 'Progressive Web App'. Which means, it does not need Play Store or App Store to install. It's quite an awesome piece of technology; and we're really excited about it.

We hope to release it for a few of you by tonight. 

Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra • Sep 23, 2019

@Kaustubh Katdare  Ok waiting😊😄

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 23, 2019

Update: The adventurous fellows may give our PWA a try on this special URL:

Welcome to CrazyEngineers - Global Network of Engineers | CrazyEngineers 

App works on both Desktops and Mobile phones. I believe iPhones won't support this yet; let us know.

We'll try sending notifications to you tomorrow. We need to ensure that notifications are getting sent correctly. 

Note: This is a 'test' version of the app. Things may not work as expected. Let's track all the bugs here.

Tagging: @saandeep sreerambatla , @Ramani Aswath , @Vinay Mishra , @Abhishek Rawal , @Anoop Mathew , @Anoop Kumar  , @Harshad Italiya to give this a try and help us discover bugs as soon as possible. 

Everyone who installs the app - please let us know your feedback/questions in this discussion.

Harshad Italiya
Harshad Italiya • Sep 24, 2019

Wow ! This is interesting ! Going to use this now ! :-)

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 24, 2019

We've a few more app installs so far. I request everyone to please help us improve the overall experience by sharing your feedback. 

Currently - auto-login isn't working as expected. We're working on it. 

First posting from app.

Search page from app and website is going to 500 error page.

Kaustubh Katdare

Search is currently broken; and it will take at least a week before we bring it back. Requires moving server 😐 . If you've enabled push notifications, we can try sending you one. 

I think I have enabled. 

After looking at the app, one thing is sure. You have done absolutely great job. It looks flawless. ( Minor will be there) but superb. And also currently logged in through my laptop and mobile and the sync is working very well.

Push notifications in the sense. I will get notifications on phone without opening the app? Like what's up?

Kaustubh Katdare

Yes! We're currently testing it with Quizzr notifications and will then be extended to other important alerts generated from the site. 

This works even when you are not on the site. You simply need to be connected to the Internet. 

Kaustubh Katdare

Update: Push Notifications need to be enabled separately by clicking on the button on the app install page. Those who haven't will not receive the real-time notification alerts.

Kaustubh Katdare

n7fB-screenshot-20190924-151949.jpg

Anoop Mathew
Anoop Mathew • Sep 24, 2019

Finally!!! After years of sleepless endeavour, congrats Biggie & Ankita on this feat!

#First.Post.From.App

#Proud.CEan

Kaustubh Katdare

Please do enable Notifications. Just click on the button and then say 'Yes' to the prompt. 

Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra • Sep 27, 2019

@Kaustubh Katdare @Ankita Katdare 

The performance of application is awesome and sync is working fine. I have noticed some issues on search page, i.e, directing to server error(500).

One more thing I have noticed i.e, there is no any back option was there by which I have to go through the linear process again and again.. as I was using PWA on my desktop.

Over all it is great! Hard works can be seen.

I will do some more security tests later when auto login will be enabled. 

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 27, 2019

@Vinay Mishra - Search is broken and we're working on it. It's taking time because we're taking an entirely different approach to searching. Will post an update soon. 

Yes, PWAs don't have the 'back' facility. Right now, the only way is to make use of the 'breadcrumbs' at the top of right sidebar. However, we acknowledge that this is an issue; and we are figuring out how to fix this. Any suggestions would be welcome. 

That said, login is also being revamped. Current login system isn't optimized for apps; and hopefully we'll have an update on it soon.

Please keep the feedback coming. I'll request you to test the app on mobile as well. Do enable notifications on every device that you install the app on. 

Installed on my Dell desktop (Windows 10). Logged out. Clicked on the "Top Sites" array on Firefox. It went to the usual opening page. Clicked login button. Went to the login panel. Clicked the google sign in button. It went to the start page without asking for the google details.

I closed everything and restarted. The logo on the Topsites list looked different. Clicked on that. It went straight to the start page. 

I am posting from that.

I still see the log out option when the dropdown button next to the profile image is clicked.

I logged out and tried again. But it went back to the login routine again. It opened without my putting in the google details.

Am I not doing properly?

I had enabled notifications. Nothing came up.

Kaustubh Katdare

Google details are not required if you are logging out from the app; but not from Google itself. This is because authentication happens privately at Google. If you are logged into Google, the app will quickly check if you are allowed to login - and login if Google says yes. 

We are making change to the login / signup flow and also bringing back email based login/signup for those who need it. 

For Notifications - they should arrive even if you are offline. Please do let me know if you received the notification for Post Like on your desktop - even when the app/browser was closed. 

No notification came now. I was busy elsewhere and logged out. When I came back I did not see any. Only after the usual login I saw the usual Bell icon with 2 notifications.

The App ignores iPad. Nothing happens when the install button is pressed. Tried just now. This post is from my iPad.

Kaustubh Katdare

Yes, the App will not work on iOS devices. Apple needs special treatment. However, notifications should work. Could you please give it a try? Open the install page: Welcome to CrazyEngineers - Global Network of Engineers | CrazyEngineers and just press the "Enable Notifications" button. 

I clicked the install button and enabled the notifications.

Today I find that I am still at the old login scheme only. I cannot see the App.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 30, 2019

😟 It's got issues. On the list; really sorry for this. 

It happens. You'll make it work.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Sep 30, 2019

Maybe we'd just put the app in the Android Play Store. I think that'd make it straightforward for everyone to install the app and have it work. 

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Oct 22, 2019

Just in case you were wondering, we've an update: Is It The Calm Before The Storm? | CrazyEngineers

Share this content on your social channels -