What you wish you knew before joining engineering college or graduating as an engineer
Yes, I am talking about YOU.
Believe it or not, after going through the experience of attending an engineering college (be it just after 1st year or after 4 tough/fun years), engineers like you and I are full of advice and interesting experiences to pass on to the new-comers.
There comes that moment in the life of every engineer where he or she feels:
- I wish I knew this was SO (easy, difficult, fun, difficult, interesting..)
- I wish I knew how I could've done this.
- I wish someone told me how to get through this..
- I wish I knew there will be... and so on and so forth.
You could come up with a list of things OR simply share the couple of things that you would've told a newcomer to the world of engineering.
Looking forward to hear all your thoughts.
Announcement: CrazyEngineers Grand Giveaway - DO NOT MISS IT!
One best entry will be chosen from the replies in this thread and they will win a -
CrazyEngineers Casual T-Shirt + Rs. 500 Amazon Gift Card!
- Your entry must be 100% original. Any entry having copied content from other websites will be removed and the person disqualified.
- Entries made after 12:00 AM tonight will not be considered for the giveaway.
- Winner will be declared tomorrow i.e. on 4th November via announcements.
Every student before applying for any engineering stream must know all options, their respective courses and demand in the market.
But Btech life is thrilling life, there is a lot to learn . There are one night fighters who show their talent in the examinations .Although there is very tough competition for jobs but engineers are engineers they know how to tackle everything.
If I wouldn't have joined engineering I would have seriously missed how you feel like to be an engineer.
pournima mhalappa bandgar
After 3 month rest like only attending lectures and not any pressure of study. We realise more pressure on submission time. Engineering make person stronger than other students. In my four year of study i faced many difficulties but i overcome that situation. Earlier i afraid of thing how will i do ? This is right or wrong such type of question arise in my mind. But now i become more confident and handle any situation personally and mentally.
One good thing in engneering is that we have habit of giving exams which are important in our daily life. Enginnering easy if u think it is simple. It is not difficult to become engineer. Always be yourself and enjoy all semesters and proffessor's number of guidence.
Mold your carrier in your field that lesson teach us this to us
I know this has nothing to do with engineering but engineering is going to lead you somewhere and yes I wish i knew if that somewhere is where I want to be.
Most of us have become followers and may i add submissive,that to so badly that mostly we end up pursuing the wrong things.
So it would have been really nice and beautiful if I knew the reason for my existence so that I would be able to follow the right path.
1. First students should confirm their area of interest with their parents.. even it is engg field or any other field..
2. Then they should be willing to shine on their chosen field..
3. students may be missed to review their chosen field's current situation.. but they should willing to prove his chosen field is best at any situation..
4. only toppers may be a employees of top mnc's but that mnc's owners is not a topper..
5. students then try know backgroud of their field..
6. they should review their ability to work on it..
7. last but not least-we can choose any field but at the same time we should need self-confidence to finish it succesfully...
Thank you friends....
Well , I guess NO..!
I wish that apart from making students book worms the technology geeks should also make them learn the life values...life principles..importance of living a happy life...!! Its not always about studies in every phase of your life... Loving the wonderful life given by thee is also important...😀
So that the pressure doesn't results in SUICIDES..!! Lower grades in FAILURE...!! Failure into the feeling of LOSER..!!
So i just wish that people reading this feels good and I can help SPREADING more SMILES..!! 😀 😀
We should use our knowledge for the good of humanity rather than for our own sake.
As per my experience I have many batchmates who join B.tech not because of there interest just because of their parents forced them to. You will gonna be laugh at it but there are also some guys who join B.tech just for shake of marriage they said like, on the name of B.tech anybody wants to marry them and then they will do something for money b.tech is not for them and also some just left b.tech after marriage in 2nd year or 3rd year.
I think this is the reason we lost our respect as an engineer in our society. These people ruin our respect as engineer.
I wish guys please think something what you want to do with your life and then join the course of your interest.
No doubt B.tech study was one of the best experience of my life the technologies and instruments by looking at I was always amazed that how they are working like this. After B.tech I can understand their way of working and technology behind it. I like these new technologies very much. Proud to be an Engineer.
I wish every Engineering taking student should know there field they are interested in and choose Branch as per there interest and prove their talent in front of the world. They should not take engineering just for marriage or to ruin the respect of this great community of engineers who leads the world to a new rising era of technology and self sustained future.😎
jasvinder singh chhabra
But the problem is we are busy with theoretical knowledge & never try to learn things practically because we are doing engineering for the sake of job and for that we gab the theory and just vomit it in exam to get a good score.
Education system must change let us think where we are what we can do learn new technology come out from books and do it practically make a new world and take a idea and invent something.
So, to all the newcomers in the sacred domain of Engineering studies,I would like to say," Science ke maze lo yaar, marks apne aap aa jayge"(don't worry much about marks but do absorb maximum possible benefits of Science). We are fortunate enough to be born in this era where a plethora of knowledge is just a single click away. Ensure that you not only graduate with a degree of high grades but, also with enormous efficiency and adequacy in the field of technology. Good luck 😀
The important thing that I realize is most of the members are going in an wrong way due to relationships in the joining year itself.I just want to say that it is not the right time to start the relationships.We do not have matured mind at the joining of the engineering and we do not have any idea how the people are .
The one thing I strongly recommend you to remember is "As the time goes on people will definitely change.Do not expect them that they will be same as they are in the past".
When most of my friends where mad about Java, I wanted to get into Web Development. Back then, you were only recognized as a Web Developer if you knew PHP (what rubbish👎😁). This is what I came to know when a developer rejected me as I didn't know PHP though I did explain him the algorithm behind how to achieve what he wanted. He laughed and said, "Wish you could have provided me your algorithm with proper PHP syntax. A person who doesn't know PHP doesn't know squat shit about Web Development."
I exclaimed to myself, "That's quite a bold statement." I smilingly left. I started researching a lot about Web Development. I came to know that the subject is divided into 2 parts:
Currently, I am working with React and React-Native.
And I knew that the only one engineering field that can send me abroad very early than others filed .To become computer engineer it was my dream since when I was in 4th standard.And I'm very to see in the finale year of the graduation.If I get the chance to work abroad the dream that I saw will fulfill completely.
The same way you wrote this post.SabarishrajHello friend,,,,, please tell me how to post a thing and where I write my knew thing which is in anniversary celebration competition
sanskriti panjabrao borse
Some things that I wish I could have done are listed below:
1: As I was a day scholar, I never got a chance to live a hostel life.
2: I love playing badminton, in the first year of my college life I decided to play for my college but unfortunately the stadium was too far from my home so my wish remained unfulfilled.
3: I was interested in dance a lot, but I never took part in any of the events.
4: I wish each student before joining engineering should had knowledge of the stream they opted for because some students join engineering as they are forced by their parents to do so.
5: I was least interested in maths before joining engineering, but ultimately in the first and second year maths was there, so I wished that it was not there. However, this made a drastic change in making me love maths. 😁
6: I wish I could have planned a trip with my friends to some hill station. As I am much of a studious kind of person, so I usually indulged myself in studies.
7: When people were busy updating their relationship status on facebook , I was more into updating my status as “ reading .... (Dan Brown’s: Angels and Demons, Inferno,etc )/( Khaled Hosseini ‘s : The kite runner, And the mountain’s echoed) . 😛
8: I wish engineering covered more practical knowledge than the theoretical knowledge.
9: I wish there was a greater opportunity of hands- on on different projects.
10: I wish students shouldn’t worry much about their CGPA rather enjoy college life as a much they can. I'm not saying that grades aren't important, but I am saying that other parts of life will come into play.
11: Some times when we didn’t understood the subjects, we wished why we even have to study it.
12: At last, I would like to talk about the semester exams, not to be mistaken the hardest working night in each and every engineer’s life when all of us had one or the other time wished that “Pehle padh liya hota toh abhi zada mehnat nai karni padti” 😁 😁
My definition of an engineer is ” One who is excited about the things that nobody cares about”. Engineering stimulates the mind as you want to dismantle and fix things of your own whether it’s your life or a simple project. Although my engineering life was much a simple one but I found the happiest moments in it. We enter the new phase of life wrapping up new ideas and thoughts in our mind, with determination and enthusiasm, we all cannot have the same personality or attitude but each one of us have the ability to redesign new technological solutions.
“ENGINEERS LIKE TO SOLVE PROBLEMS.IF THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS HANDILY AVAILABLE, THEY WILL CREATE THEIR OWN PROBLEMS. “ truly said by Scott Adams.
ALL THE BEST TO ALL ENGINEERS OUT THERE 😀 😀
Before entering in engineering college ,You guys are just like a molding clay and 4 years of engineering experience will mold you to make a perfectly shaped pot out of you.
So, guys whatever you are going to do in these years will definitely reflect in your future.
I am mentioning the few things you should know before entering in an engineering world.
1. Never feel regret about your stream .Trust me! , its a wastage of time. Instead of that ,you should know about the importance of your stream and the scope in the future. for example - Being an electrical engineering student you should know about the GATE , E-LITMUS ,and IES exam in your 1st year of engineering so that you can start doing a preparation at right time.
2. Do not expect anything from anyone. You guys must have a perception that in engineering college you will do many practicals or learn something new ,then please wake up ! you will definitely learn something new but most of ,theories not practicals.
so,don't blame institute for this better to innovate thing by yourself.
for example- make a project and Participate in technical fest at a National level .
3.Be yourself - apart from studies, there are many people around you who will drag you down . so, don't loose your dignity and humanity. your own friend can betray .
4. Stay connected with family members. - during these 4 years ,my few friend maintained a huge distance between family and them , no emotional attachment with family .ultimate family will help you .
5. Best moments of your life are waiting for you so please enjoy these 4 years and never wait for the right time just grab the opportunities 😀
6. Apart from all let me inform you - you have to do many written work -bundels of assignments , lab files , reports, seminar ppt , etc. be ready for it 😉
All the best innocent newcomers - engineering world is waiting for you ,to make you strong and enhance your knowledge. 👍
" OK now you have selected, now the darkest truth is THIS IS UR LIFE, JUST SHUT UP AND STUDY "
One thing is for sure, we can do any stream of engineering, Yes u all have read it right !!!!!
Any one can pursue any stream, for me this is the truth i had learnt,In my initial days i too thought that, one person may be only well extolled in a subject, say maths and physics -> then go to mechanical,civil
* interested in physics ? -> go for applied physics or after ece and eee.
well the HOLY list goes on. But, wait...............................
These things are not required.You can do anything, Everything depends on ur CURIOSITY and the readiness to go for an extra mile in that, where no one goes but stays in a old orthodox route.And trust me, world is waiting for such people !!
one of my friend who didnt like ECE, joined in it bcoz of his fate (due to bad financial problems), then through these 4 yrs i saw him raise to some high positions of publishing a research paper and getting hired in qualcomn, whichis a big dream for many ece graduates.when i asked him, how did he do this with an unintrested field ?
His answer made my life, He told me that " Never ever, narrow your field of interest, everyone can do anything, provided we broaden the way we look at the problem ! "
Raghuram rajan was now a great learned intelligent in Economis field, who previously had a b.tech degree.But, then turned up to do another wonder in Economics
Elon musk, goes to infinty and beyond with his ideas, may be not bcoz of his qualifications that he had obtained, but the way he got with every field of study, integrating into ONE, making it the best.(I remember reading abt him, That he used to read his fathers library books from every field including physics, electical in his childhood)
* so, never think that this is my only field of study !!!!, we should try to develop interdisciplanary skills(irrespective of ur field of engineering), learning something about other stream, which makes us to go through new heights in life.
(for exmpl, if u wanna do a quad copter, u require to know abt the mechanical part, elctronics part. Once when u develop it a fullscale IOT product,u need to provide a security solution for not getting hacked by other RF remotes, Now u require a bit knowledge on Cse topics. If u do this fullscale development. product companies run after u, for ur knowlege on handling every field of study.)
This type of mindset leads oneself towards research and developing new technologies and making new ways of business nd soforth. Thus, creating a wonderful economy for ur country.
Dear Reader, try soemthing new by the above told way, apart from your classroom study.Spend some sleepless nights to know what is your dream that u wanna pursue.Then, start dreaming about that on day time,but not in sleep 😁
(as Abdul kalam ji had said)
Today, japan and south korea are not fearful of getting thier economy shrinked like others, bcoz majority of the GDP of japan,and even the youth goes into R & D (research and development) .Thus, we Indians have remained as the largest importer of thier technology,loosing valuable foreign exchange nd increasing poverty and they as the largest exporter.
China,has everything to export and remains as a brightest spot(I meant Being interdiscipalnary). But, we were only doing that in some cases.
Anyone , who doesnt like the above way, can start taking a group in engineering,and follow the below steps very carefully !!!!!!
STEP 1: Join in some group of engineering (ece,eee,mech,civil) and Mug up the topics ,try to apply some butter to ur faculty to get marks and show ur parents that u have made thier day for show in public.
STEP 2 : Then on the final day, irrespective of the field of study, go for a software job and end ur life with two kids in ur hand without any promotion.
STEP 3:When Recession comes, get ready to be fired up and also to blame the system of our country for ur failure
GO TO STEP 0 (provided, u learnt a lesson)
GO TO STEP 1 (for ending up at STEP 3 and teaching the same to ur kids )
- I wish I knew how to be a rock so that petty comments and judgments wouldn't hurt me.
- I wish somebody told me that "STUDYING IS A HABIT" and it takes time to build and learning/studying never happens overnight/night before exams.
- I wish I knew Tier-3 engineering colleges have set up a no-bargain business(i.e education) where professors/lecturers think every student that come here is useless and will end up in TCS(Some are exceptional).
- I wish I had a mentor/loyal friend.
- I wish somebody had told me that you cannot judge your parents no matter what/how they are.They are your first/greatest teachers.
- I wish somebody had told me that being/acting like an idiot just to impress girls is okay.
- I wish I knew that bad times will pass.Time is a great healer.
- I wish someone had told me that we should make friends of our level/aukaat or else they will envy you or vice-versa.(Friends make the worst enemies)
- I wish I knew when to stand tall and when to let the guard down.
- I wish in near future I don't have regret for the chances/opportunity not taken.(Some opportunities might be a trap).
- I wish I knew that 120 seconds of confidence can make wonders.
- I wish I knew someone with lots of Life experience.
- I wish I knew how to take better decisions.
- I wish every wish gets fulfilled.
- I wish I knew how to master my own mind and heart.
- I wish I knew how to make a win-win situation.
- I wish I knew how to understand others.
Everything looks easy,is easy.You have enough time.Just learn to enjoy the moments and give 100% to whatever u do..
1. Knowing all the branches, the kind of things that are gone taught and scope of all the branches before taking admission is a must.
2. Knowing the seniors and teachers, talking to them turns out really good.
3.Practically useful subjects starts mostly in 3rd year, and fascinating in 4th which are not taught.
4. Your CGPA don't decide your faith.
5.Only 3 year's of study and 4th year is just about getting the job
and passing exam.
6. You have to again study Aptitude (basic maths) in 4th year.
7. Training and just having lots of certificates don't get you in a good company.
8. Project and research work which pays off.
9. Learning new language (french, german etc), and having a certificate is not useful
unless you can speak.
10. Having a girlfriend/boyfriend is not bad at all.
Only logged in users can reply.