"What Will People Say?" - Does That Stop You From Following Your Dreams?

Looks like the most common problem budding entrepreneurs face is what I'd call "fear of social status failure". You badly want to drop out of placements or don't want to be just another software engineer in the industry and start your own; but you cannot because the thought of "What will people say?" haunts your mind and the forces you to do what everyone else does.

To some extent, there's some truth to it. But the real thing is - it applies to everyone. No matter at what age you are; you'll always have this thought. You've been through 4 years of education and probably put few years in the industry earning a steady salary and now you're thinking of quitting your job or campus placements to become an entrepreneur: no one will appreciate it.

The biggest trouble is, no one really appreciates new startup ideas. No one really cares unless it becomes 'sizable' or some existing media covers it. My own experience in starting up is the same.

But there's a way to fix it. Just cut off from all those people who you think will demotivate you. Just turn deaf. Convince your family that you're giving your best shot at your own dreams and if even if you don't achieve what you wish to, you will have enough experience to find something valuable in future.

Do you relate yourself to this? Share your thoughts.

Replies

• Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    "What will people say?" is not that much of an issue! Once your family is convinced, there is nothing more left to make out! People will talk. That's the only jobless thing they can do on their "job".

You've been through 4 years of education and probably put few years in the industry earning a steady salary and now you're thinking of quitting your job or campus placements to become an entrepreneur: no one will appreciate it.
    Even considering the entrepreneurship option is making my folks nervous. The'll have to get used to it, I suppose.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I think it not only applies to 'dream' of entreprenuership, I have faced it many times myself , when I say "I have 5 yrs IT exp", but fresher in networking", they just say -" you seem to be foolish to change lines now".Nevertheless, I immediastly detect such negative vibes and turn off my hearing and thinking ability as soon as I find such people infront of me
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    I think it not only applies to 'dream' of entreprenuership, I have faced it many times myself , when I say "I have 5 yrs IT exp", but fresher in networking", they just say -" you seem to be foolish to change lines now".Nevertheless, I immediastly detect such negative vibes and turn off my hearing and thinking ability as soon as I find such people infront of me
    OF course, this applies to almost everywhere. For example, when I went to the stage for the first time at a college function; the only thought I had on my mind was "What will people say if they don't like my performance?" "Will they laugh at me?" and so on. It took a hard self-convincing that I was better than 90% of the audience 😎 that helped me get over the thought.

I mean let's get real: People have their own lives to mind. 99.99% of them don't care for you; so why should we care for them? Why should the 'imaginary' thought that they'll laugh at us, stop us from doing what we want to do?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Punch_a_Tantra
    Even considering the entrepreneurship option is making my folks nervous. The'll have to get used to it, I suppose.
    Yep it happens. BTW what will people say doesn't matter in such a case, only an idea which you are comfortable with counts. Just like people are mushrooming in on IT sectors and websites coz they don't require money. For other sectors, only a bit more experience can get us a wonderful idea.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    This is the only thing, which stopped me from doing what I wanted. As I had mentioned already, I thought of getting into my own living on the stuffs, which I like but what will people think about me? And another thing was the family situation. In a couple of years, I have to support my family and I should be having a steady and consistent income for that. So these pressures pushed me in taking up a day job, but yeah, I love my job and am enjoying it to the fullest! 😀
  • jgeorge
    jgeorge
    There are innumerable situations where we are stopped from doing what our heart desires and which will ultimately give us happiness and satisfaction just, because we are worried about WHAT WILL PEOPLE /SOCIETYSAY?
    Who are these people/society?
    Isn’t the society made of us? Aren’t we the people?
    Then why do we worry so much about the people?
    It is such an ironical situation. Human beings have the tendency to comment on other’s behavior but when it comes to them they do not like when others comment?
    Actually it is very easy for any third person to say – forget about society, do not bother about others. Do what you think is right.
    But I am sure when the same situation will come in the life of this third person he will also start worrying about society and people.
    I fail to understand why should anyone comment on another person’s life, style or behavior? What right others have to interfere in others life? And what sadistic pleasure will they derive from commenting on others misfortune or problems.
    The so called society/people will not come to the rescue of the sufferer; they will not offer any practical help to others. The only thing these people can offer is lip service which will be of no use to the other person.
    In fact it is the habit of most of the people to poke their nose in other’s affairs and lives. Although they have nothing to do with them but may be for time pass or for sheer pleasure of gossip or to humiliate the other person they will talk about the life of others
    Why does public opinion, approval take precedence over personal happiness?

Its My Life and People cant live my life for me.. Give a Damn..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ICNS 2012, aims to bring together researchers, scientists, engineers and scholar students to exchange and share their experiences, new ideas, and research results about all aspects of Networks, Systems and...
There are 10 sets of 10 coins. You know how much the coins should weigh. You know all the coins in one set of ten are exactly a hundredth of...
On an odd little street in the town of Somewhere, there are five house in a row. Each house is a different colour, each is inhabited by a woman of...
Guys, Go to Google Translate - Set the left side as "Detect Language" and the right side as "Tamil". Now type in, TN - See what comes on the right...
Data transfer through optic fiber and cables is achieving newer speeds every day. I however believe that the future surely belongs to the wireless. It's apparent that the data transfer...