What to do when your company asks you to join their BPO arm?

I was recently informed that a leading IT company in India recruited several thousand engineers and sent them call letters in time. It then asked all those candidates to appear for an exam. An estimated 8000 candidates took the test and the company selected the top 800 or 900 candidates to join their development arm. The others were given an option to join the BPO arm of the company. The students are so confused now and have nowhere to look at.

I'm not naming the company because this is not a confirmed news. But I got it from an authenticate and trustworthy resource. So the question is - if your company asks you to join either their BPO (call center) or quit - what should you really do? Should you take up the job as a call center employee - which would basically mean that your career in the IT industry would be doomed. It's going to be very difficult to make a switch from BPO to a core IT job.

I look forward to your opinions and feedback on this. I'm sure the discussion here would benefit all the readers and those who're actually going through this situation.

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    In my opinion, the actual choice can be made by the individual only based on his/her situation and capabilities, if the person is capable and possess sound knowledge, he may try for some start-up company for his desired profile, also if the financial constraints are there then he may have to make a tradeoff, so if the person himself not good at coding skills he should go for BPO as it is better than unemployment, if he doesnot have any hope for future.
  • Indrajeet Roy
    Indrajeet Roy
    Speaking from experience in working in a BPO, I do not recommend it for anyone. They suck you dry and leave nothing but a husk behind. You have no time for yourself, gain no knowledge, and are paid less than peanuts for your qualifications. I feel that if the company asks you to join their BPO arm, leave. Get a core stream job, then even if you are not paid well, you still get the knowledge of your stream.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    The same thing happened in case of my friend ,a BE ECE and who was placed in HCL ( i am mentioning company because its time future freshers know the TRUTH about IT mncs and take decison during placement itself).

She was told by the company to join their BPO for 1 year and then they will switch her to IT arm.
    So she quit and now preparing for other exams.But this disturbed a lot and also caused wastage of time.

When in campus donot be in hurry to get job , check out what really might happen after graduation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need step by step explanation and solution to this question please, so I can answer others. In the set of inputs a,b,c, in the case there are 2 or...
Hi I have done my engineering(B.tech)in 2011.Currently i am working in mnc with good salary but i am not satisfied with my job and want to do M.tech from good...
The best table-tennis challenger the world has seen may well be a robot that gets coached by humans and goes one up on them. Initially a human player guided the...
where do we use AM and where do we use FM ???
I wish to know how to determine the generation of Intel processor in my computer. What's the proper way to do that?