What to do when everyone execpt you, is corrupt?

Holy Cow! What a topic! Important! Is it not?

Here's a situation: You are a kind of person who hates corruption. You feel corruption at any level is bad - that's what you have been taught. That is how your grey matter has been programmed.

At some point of time, you are required to deal with government bodies. To proceed legally up to a certain point where you meet the 'corrupt'. If you decide to follow the legal path - it will take you about an year to get the job done. If you do 'small favors' to the 'corrupt' you can get your job done in just 2 days. Think about it: 1 Year Vs. 2 Days!

You think about talking to the senior authorities in the hierarchy of the government body - but you come to know they are corrupt too.

You approach people who have been through similar situations and they tell you that it's okay to do favors to get the things done; but that somehow doesn't fit in your brain.

You only have two options: -

1. Feed the corrupt with few notes [These favors are small amounts in the range of say $10 - $20 ] and get the things done in 2 days.

2. Go legal and wait for 1 year to get the things done.

What would you do?

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    You see Biggie, this is a kind of Catch-22 situation. There is neither any correct answer nor there is a wrong answer. Furthermore the answer is not limited to the two choices which you have provided.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Usually, what is usually done to speed up a process is persistence. You keep on calling the people in charge of a process, and eventually they will do what they are supposed to do and pass it on.

If they really dont want to do what they are supposed to do according to procedures, then you have the right to report it. I'd check what the proper time it takes to process (sans "favors" and "bureaucracy"), and head over to the anti corruption agency ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'll never bribe. That'll just encourage more cronyism.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    If you have patience of 1 year for getting your work done. No harm in doing that but I don't think so it will be done even then also ๐Ÿ˜‰. So better get your work done right now within 2 days by paying money/bribe to them(if and only if your work is urgent) but yes most important don't forget to complain about them to higher-ups and right person. If you will not speak, this process will keep on continuing and other people like you will keep on suffering.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Haha!

@ Shalini: So you are saying, bribe first and the complain to the anti-corruption agency? Then go behind the bars? Come on! ๐Ÿ˜
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Feed the corrupt...
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    Haha!

@ Shalini: So you are saying, bribe first and the complain to the anti-corruption agency? Then go behind the bars? Come on! ๐Ÿ˜
    No you tell anti-corruption agency also that you gave him bribe just to get your work done. Anti-corruption agency will not put you behind the bars. They understand the situation.

MaRo
    Feed the corrupt...
    Maro,
    Do you lie in the category of those corrupted people?
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    @shalini - No and don't like to be, but this is how all government officers work, we have to keep paying to make our work done & we haven't an 'anti-corruption agency'.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    MaRo
    @shalini - No and don't like to be, but this is how all government officers work, we have to keep paying to make our work done & we haven't an 'anti-corruption agency'.
    Good, Don't ever try to be ๐Ÿ˜‰. Exactly this is the problem we all face.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I believe to beat them first be with them. when i am not among them ( ability to authorise / dictate) or discharge equal power) I would rather prefer diverting my efforts towards other officials rather than wastign my time money and efforts on them.

Luckily i have not faced the people who have demanded bribe but i would rather prefer not bribing to get my work done.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    i am strictly against corruption , what ever the position may be i dont feed anyone even if the work is left undone i dont care , seems ironic but i follow this one.
    had faced many problems but living with it ,i can say proudly that this is the only good habit i have in life .. so far ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Seanv
    Seanv
    Alright, honestly, I've fed the corrupt. Its easy to say things when you're not actually faced with the situation... For example, lets say that someone you care a lot for accidentally cut themselves while chopping vegetables... You immediately take them to the nearest doctor, and the doctor refuses to do anything saying that the police have to be informed. However, if you paid him, he would treat that person as its an emergency. You don't have time to go anywhere else because the cut is very deep. You can't stop the bleeding. Its a choice between feeding corruption and risking that person's life. What would you do then?

I say, to hell with it, I'd pay and get what I want. We cannot do much about corruption, its gotta be the government. If I were the person that Biggie described, I'd go to a psychiatrist and ask for help to deal with it ๐Ÿ˜› ... Corruption, may seem bad.. but you should look at the other side.. some government officials (clerks etc..) barely get enough money to get through the month. Why would they pass off an opportunity to make a little more money? Ok.. I shall stop before this becomes an essay ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ Seanv: I agree to your point.

At what stage should one say 'NO' to corruption?
  • Seanv
    Seanv
    In my opinion, Corruption will only disappear if we decide not to be corrupt ourselves. Its up to the new officers/employees to take that stand. If you notice, you're faced with corrupt officials only when you absolutely need them. For example, earlier if you had to get a BSNL phone connection quickly, you had to pay people... But when companies like Airtel started providing landline connections, the officials at BSNL had no choice but make sure that they provide good services, else people would go elsewhere. Competition is the key...

Say NO to corruption when you have other options. That is all a normal person can do. But when we deal with government bodies, like the police, courts, passport offices, etc... there is no other option, at which point, we just have to bite our lips and pay to get our work done...
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well its we the poeple who are cause of curruption,no one wants to wait in a que,everyone wants to make money no matter how,and everyone wants to better others.I havent seen a father handing over his son for drunk driving,instead he will bribe the authorities to make his name clear,now who is currupt here!!!
    Dont blame anyone else than yourselves!!! set a example and others will follow!!!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just like the debate with education, any change must be simultaneous.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Agreed!!! but the question is who will do first!!!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Seanv
    Alright, honestly, I've fed the corrupt. Its easy to say things when you're not actually faced with the situation... For example, lets say that someone you care a lot for accidentally cut themselves while chopping vegetables... You immediately take them to the nearest doctor, and the doctor refuses to do anything saying that the police have to be informed. However, if you paid him, he would treat that person as its an emergency. You don't have time to go anywhere else because the cut is very deep. You can't stop the bleeding. Its a choice between feeding corruption and risking that person's life. What would you do then?

I say, to hell with it, I'd pay and get what I want. We cannot do much about corruption, its gotta be the government. If I were the person that Biggie described, I'd go to a psychiatrist and ask for help to deal with it ๐Ÿ˜› ... Corruption, may seem bad.. but you should look at the other side.. some government officials (clerks etc..) barely get enough money to get through the month. Why would they pass off an opportunity to make a little more money? Ok.. I shall stop before this becomes an essay ๐Ÿ˜

Good reality told but you know what Mr Seanv these corrupt people make use of our such helpless state only. If we people never create such situations before them an think of other ways for getting our work instead of only depending on them then I guess situation can improve, they have no option left then right?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Life going problems as some one explained rite we need to feed the corrupt but i never faced it , once my friend had a very deep cut on her hand but the doctors did the first aid to stop bleeding then we went to police to inform and she is quite safe now..

and to biggies question when can we say NO to corruption its obviously "Always" i mean 99 percent if someone is dying i cant stick to my rules thats for sure but mostly we should never take any chance to feed and to make the works happen easily this causes the corruption.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All, Can u help me out for little bit on this..?I am trying to explain my position or point of view here in detail. I did my graduation from...
can you please..suggest me a project of dbms by using VB-6 . I m willing to make a project on database of Maruti Udyog Limited, so also tell me what...
Hi there, can anyone tell me how to figure out this question? the confusing part for me is after getting the gain value -(56K/8K), the gain circuit suddenly cross into...
Right now if we want to send PM to the person who is not added in our friend list then we have to check one box if the member is...
SIR, BEING A STUDENT OF MECHANICAL ENGG. STUDYING IN SEM 2 I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WAT IS THE ABSOLUT WORKING OF 6 STROKE ENGINE PLS. HELP ME BY PROVIDING...