What to do after I have learnt the basics of circuits?

I am 12 yrs old and have excelled at my programming and networks side although have a dream of becoming robotics engineer; thus I need to know about the hardware side as well. What should I do after I have learnt about parallel/ series ; current ; voltage and the other basics?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Start with building basic circuits. Arduino or Raspberry Pi would definitely be a good start.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    arduino and rpi are pre-made boards that can be 'used' to make other great things.
    I know this mech.eng who made a 3D printed robotic arm as his capstone project. I think that would be apt project to put your programming + electronics to test.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ComputerWizard
    What should I do after I have learnt about parallel/ series ; current ; voltage and the other basics?
    You need to read couple of books on Basics of Electronics, Circuit Networks and Digital Electronics.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Excellent advice so far. You may try going to this site and explore various projects there:
    Yours for the making - Instructables
  • ComputerWizard
    ComputerWizard
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Arduino or Raspberry Pi would definitely be a good start
    I have already attempted at these things but I would like to learn semi conducters, transistors etc. If you have any other parts or bits I could under come I would be grateful
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ComputerWizard
    I have already attempted at these things but I would like to learn semi conducters, transistors etc. If you have any other parts or bits I could under come I would be grateful
    Alrighty! If you are totally new to the basic electronic components, you should first get a good book or find a good resource on the Internet. As #-Link-Snipped-# suggested, Instructables would definitely be a good place to start.

Head over to Amazon and look for any book that talks about 'Electronic Circuits'. Once you know the basic components of electronics, the principles that make things work and build a few simple circuits on your own; you'd be good to go.

ComputerWizard
    What should I do after I have learnt about parallel/ series ; current ; voltage and the other basics?
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Do you have any suggestions here? I'm no longer an electrical engineer, you see. ๐Ÿ˜–
  • lal
    lal
    Parallel, series circuits and basic circuit parameters, excellent. I would suggest you get in touch with semiconductor devices and then to electromechanical devices like motors and solenoids now.

Start with diodes, transistors and and transistor switching. When the software signals a robot/robotic part to complete an action, this is actually what happens mostly, a few transistors or other semiconductor switches turn on!

Edit: you beat me to it! I was in edit mode ๐Ÿ˜

Edit 2: Wikipedia nicely explains about almost all electronic components out there!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Head over to Amazon and look for any book that talks about 'Electronic Circuits'. Once you know the basic components of electronics, the principles that make things work and build a few simple circuits on your own; you'd be good to go. ๐Ÿ˜–
    I used this book 'basic electronics' for US Navy personnel way back in the sixties.
    Basic Electronics Vol 1 - US Navy | PDF

Of course it was before transistors, ICs and all that. It was all vacuum tubes. The current one takes care of that.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Integrated Electronics by Millman will give you good insight on Semiconductors, and then come my favourite website : #-Link-Snipped-#

Plus don't be overconfident regarding your knowledge of Programming, unless you're Tony Stark. Even after spending total number of years equal to your age in programming, developers never say they've excelled that shit, 'cuz the fact is; you never can. It's a circle and you'll keep learning and learning and learning.
  • ComputerWizard
    ComputerWizard
    Abhishek Rawal
    Integrated Electronics by Millman will give you good insight on Semiconductors, and then come my favourite website : #-Link-Snipped-#

Plus don't be overconfident regarding your knowledge of Programming, unless you're Tony Stark. Even after spending total number of years equal to your age in programming, developers never say they've excelled that shit, 'cuz the fact is; you never can. It's a circle and you'll keep learning and learning and learning.
    I never said I have finished all of it I only said I have a great base for programming and for my age where I am, I took my GCSEs in it; plus, I know myself I haven't learnt everything...
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ComputerWizard
    I never said I have finished all of it I only said I have a great base for programming and for my age where I am, I took my GCSEs in it; plus, I know myself I haven't learnt everything...
    Cool story, prodigy. ๐Ÿ‘
  • ComputerWizard
    ComputerWizard
    Abhishek Rawal
    Cool story, prodigy. ๐Ÿ‘
    Thx Dude ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Good to see you dealing with programming and networking and decided to go with the field you love at age of 12.
    Keep it up buddy !

Regarding your questions. I am sure you have gone through all replies and get some tips so here is few more from my side.
    As you know basics of electronics now you may want to give a real test of that things so you may first want to start building few circuits which consist only basic components like resistor and capacitors and for that I would say try some example circuit based on 555 Timer IC. That will give you some boost to go forward and do some modification in the circuitry and come up with some new signals and all.
    In parallel you also need to get understanding about Transistors,MOSFET,Power Regulators ICs for example LDO or Switching power supplies.
    Once you know all about this you can move towards Arduino or any other Microcontroller section which will be core part of your Robotics Engineer !

Feel free to post questions if you have any.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Off topic: #-Link-Snipped-# It's a pleasure to have you here with us. ๐Ÿ‘ Expecting a lot of new discussions from your end in days to come.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has taken an important decision to exempt short range microphones and radars from licensing requirement. This move would now facilitate the wider adoption of RFID,...
Quote: The Aldar headquarters building is the first circular building of its kind in the Middle East. It is located in Al Raha, Abu Dhabi (emirate), United Arab Emirates. The...
Quote: This VFD Drive Training sample is from the VFD Troubleshooting section of Electrical category of the Online Industrial Training Video Library ( https://bin95.com/Industrial-Training-... ). This sample is from the...
HEY GUYS I AM IN THIRD YEAR SEM 5 NOW I WANT TO DO INTERNSHIP IN AN IT COMPANY IN MUMBAI NOT GEETING WAY FROM WHERE TO START UPON I...
Hi sir, Hope you are doing good. Myself Vinay. Ive done my Bsc(MPCS) in 2013. Ive completed my Manual + QTP testing courses. but im not getting any interview calls....