What respect does a Masters degreeholder get in IT industry?

Hi ,

After my B.E I worked for 2 years in CTS,Chennai.Then I did my Masters in Elec. Engg from NUS.

Now getting a job in my core industry is very difficult and I am thinking of entering the IT industry again.

How much weightage will be given to my Masters degree?? Also pls let me know if there is any chance of a role change in the company?/

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    To begin with, I do not see any connection between the engineering discipline & job profile. Had you chosen to work in your core stream; you'd have had better chances of getting a chance to work as an electrical engineer.

You have masters degree in Electrical engineering and looking for a job in software industry, where your knowledge of electrical engineering may not be put to the best use. Software companies may not give as much importance to your masters degree as your previous experience with CTS. At the end, it's about how much value you can bring to the code that you write.

I am not discouraging you. There is a chance that CTS may offer you a senior position.

I think there are tons of job openings in big companies that may offer you a role as an electrical engineer. You should constantly be in touch with the Placements Department at NUS.
  • jith.912
    jith.912
    Hi Big,

Thanks for your interest in my thread.

From your reply i understand that you recommend Electrical Engineering jobs.But I am searchin for a job for ma core competency for more than 2 months.I am badly in need of a job now.

The career center in NUS is not even replyin to the mails i sent regardin placements... can u suggest me anyother means..

Once again thank you. 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @jith: The best way (which works!) is to upload two resume one with profile as electrical engineer and other with your regular profile (electrical engineering+MS) to all the leading job portals.

You should also keep in touch with your batchmates from NUS for any news on latest job openings. They could be the best and the fastest source of information regarding job openings. I'm sure there must be many who got jobs as electrical engineers.

Otherwise, it would be better to opt for job in CTS again while you continue your search. I'd recommend this strongly.
  • jith.912
    jith.912
    Thanks Big...
  • Chandrakiran
    Chandrakiran
    Decide how your passion goes, i dont find fault with both the industries..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Source: https://www.genewscenter.com/Content/Detail.aspx?ReleaseID=10580&NewsAreaID=2&ClientID=1 SAN FRANCISCO--Tuesday, July 13, 2010-- GE (NYSE: GE) announced today a $200 million open innovation challenge that seeks breakthrough ideas to create a smarter, cleaner, more efficient electric...
I'm thinking of joining Kumaraguru College of Technology...........plz tell me how is the college.........
Company Name: Intrack Inc Experience: 0 - 2 yrs Location: Mumbai Education: Any Degree Industry Type: IT/Software Skills: System administrator , Hardware engineer
hiii...m an ece stud.(2nd yr.)..i wanna ask dat can i submit a web designing project in ece projects since web designing plays a major role in communication which is also...
i am desgning a tank like structure, that is based on 6 wheels, 3 wheels at each side, and the central wheel is driver and of 4 inches diameter, while...