What Really Is In Carrier Signal ?

As we know, In Analog communication in air medium between two antennas from transmitter to receiver, in transmitter end; the information signal is sent with the carrier signal & modulation is been done. (depends on type of modulation, AM,PM or FM)

We all know that the main concern is the Noise, that gets added in medium.

My question is : Carrier signal is a signal that's been superimposed on information signal, but carrier signal is one type of signal, & every signal do contain some energy thus it is noise.
So, does it mean that in modulation technique, while superimposing carrier signal we're intentionally( or we have to compulsory as there no other to transmit signal to long range) sending Noise alongwith information signal.

What does really this, Carrier signal contains ? No signal is obtained without energy, so there outta be something in carrier signal, what is it ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Message signal energy is less and so if I transmit a message signal directly through a antenna my range will be really low

So I multiply this signal with a carrier signal which has higher frequency than that of the message signal and so higher energy

This high energy signal does not have any role in the noise produced during transmission

The circuits used for modulation are sources of noise
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ...Carrier signal is simply added with information signal so it can cover more distance. Information signal is used to be of low frequency so it will need High frequency carrier.

I remember example given by my professor : One paper is your information and you want to throw it. It is not able to clear long distance. Now you put one stone inside paper and throw it. Simple !
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Okay, I know that carrier signal is used to superimpose on the information signal,withthe parameters like Frequency, Amplitude & Phase for FM,AM & PM respectively, so that it can cover long distance.

My question is : Every signal in the world contains energy, so does carrier signal.
    So carrier signal must be containing something, you know.
    Some kind of energy, some kind of discrete energy. Which is nothing but noise, isnt it ?
    So, what I want to confirm is, aren't we intentionally sending noise signal only ?

I hope you understood what i mean to say.
    I want to know that what the hell is it in Carrier signal ?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yes you can call it noise but that is wanted noise and it has some defined nature so you can predict how long it can travell.

While real noise it unwanted and have no any nature so you can't use it to carry information signal.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I have explained how carrier signal is used to carry information.
    Please see both case. You can say both carrier and noise have energy but see resulted modulated signal.
    Explain
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Abhishek Rawal
    Okay, I know that carrier signal is used to superimpose on the information signal,withthe parameters like Frequency, Amplitude & Phase for FM,AM & PM respectively, so that it can cover long distance.

My question is : Every signal in the world contains energy, so does carrier signal.
    So carrier signal must be containing something, you know.
    Some kind of energy, some kind of discrete energy. Which is nothing but noise, isnt it ?
    So, what I want to confirm is, aren't we intentionally sending noise signal only ?

I hope you understood what i mean to say.
    I want to know that what the hell is it in Carrier signal ?
    Think of it as encryption - the data is meaningful only if you have appropriate keys; else it's just noise.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well in short practically we call signal which does not match any criteria set for decrypting as noise

Where as Carrier is noise which can be removed easily without any hinderance or trouble from the message signal

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am opting for various softwares for my expertise is it worth to spend some extra money on gaining certificates from Autodesk or just knowledge is enough? Secondly should i...
This silly question popped into my mind just now. We know that vacuum means space or place that contains no matter.Isn't it? We use vacuum cleaners to remove all the...
Nissan has launched it's two new variants to the Nissan Micra car with a facelifted 2013 version and the Nissan Micra Active XE. After having sold more than 43,000 units...
Though XOLO is not a big name in smart phone arena, still latest launch from XOLO seems to be impressive when we compare the price with the features and specifications....
Can any CEan come up with an explanation? Crazy beyond imagination. Oviously it is manipulated David does not claim to fly. The engineering is what is unclear. Sent by friend...