1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

What makes people buy Apple products irrespective of their prices?

Question asked by Kaustubh Katdare in #Coffee Room #Gadgets #Startups & Business on Dec 14, 2019
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Dec 14, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

It looks like Apple can set any price tag on their products and still sell them worldwide without problems. I'm wondering what makes Apple set any price on their product; and what makes people buy them? Is it the 'Apple' brand that people pay for or are their products actually superior and worth the money?

What are your thoughts on Apple's pricing strategy?

Posted in: #Coffee Room #Gadgets #Startups & Business
Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath · Dec 15, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

All that I can say is that my wife and I get the perfectly functional hand me downs for free, when the kids go in for the new.

Mohit Patil
Mohit Patil · Dec 15, 2019
Rank C3 - EXPERT

Apple can do that because it's in a unique position and history to do so. A perception that Apple has established is that it is for the premium audience who do not compromise on quality. It works in favor of Apple allowing them to set higher price than the competition. 

One more thing Apple does is that it designs and makes some of the vital components of computers and phones in-house. That's why they do not have to claim if their phone has X Gigs of RAM. They can set whatever price on it and no one can question them. 

Also notice how they control their distribution. I think distribution is one of the key components of Apple's pricing strategy. They remain in control of it at every point. 

[Prototype]
[Prototype] · Dec 15, 2019
Rank B1 - LEADER

I cannot comment on iPhones but I've first hand experience with Macbook.

I had been under same impression that Apple is all show and status and they are selling same stuff which is sold at 1/3rd of their price.

But 4 years down the line, I guess I am in a position to comment. My Macbook still works same as it did on the day 1. I am overwhelmed with the quality of the hardware.

I had bought a Dell Inspiron in 2012 and it died in 2015. I had to disassemble it so many times for changing thermal compound, replacing fan and what not. My mom insisted I buy Macbook to discourage me from disassembling. In fact, she gifted me as I was not willing to spend 95k. She thought the Dell died because of me repeatedly disassembling.

So that's a huge vouch for Macbook pro. However, I still feel iPhones are very expensive and I am not convinced with the price because smartphone technology, though heading fast towards maturity, is still changing every few months. Same is not true for laptop. They are matured and I don't feel regret that I could've waited a few months to get something advanced with new fancy (but useful) feature.

So next time when there's a time to buy a laptop, I'll definitely go for a Macbook only. I am willing to pay the premium price because I feel its worth it.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Dec 16, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Agree with Prototype. I've had a Dell Inspiron and I had to replace its motherboard within a year of buying. Then there's this iMac - that's going strong since 2011 with about 9-12 hours of daily usage (touches wood). 

I've a MacBook Air as well (mid-2013) that works really well and gets the job done. 

Then - not many will agree with this - but all the DEV TOOLS 'just work' out of the box on MacOS. What takes me about 30-45 minutes to setup on Windows 10 takes about 5-10 on MacOS. 

All that, but I think Apple sometimes goes crazy with pricing. But $1000 for the Mac Pro stand and $400 for the wheels - how is that justified? ? 

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Dec 16, 2019
Rank B3 - LEADER

Apple products, I never used i-phone before. Since last 1 year I have been using mac book pro and it works very well. No lag working with shell is super easy!(this is OS behaviour though).

On the other hand , I bought a Acer laptop in 2018 , it worked very well for 6 months, after that it is crazy slow. And ask about windows updates that takes like a day!

If you ask about price, not sure why apple is so costly. If you ask if I will buy mac for personal use -> No.

Anoop Mathew
Anoop Mathew · Dec 16, 2019
Rank A3 - PRO

Preface:- Been using Mac for some work and iPhones for testing. Personally a Dell Fan, and work gets done even with a Nokia over a OnePlus. 

Pros of Apple Products:- Customers who value quality over to just getting the work done/ jugaad would prefer Apple products. 

There's no better tool for video editing in Windows. Mac just has faster rendering speeds. Even graphics designers/ photographers prefer Mac Software over to Windows software.

Cons of Apple Products:- 1000$ Stand for the new Display & the 400$ wheels just screams cockiness, and unjustifiable pricing. But hey, if Red Cameras which you use for shooting 8K can have super expensive accessories, why not have expensive wheels for the Apple 'brain' that you might use to edit that footage? Right? (Senseless arguments foreseen)

#MyOpinion:- People say Apple is easier. Maybe it's too simple for my liking. I would keep a MacBook handy purely for Short Film / Photography / Graphics Design works i would undertake. But would still go for a Dell XPS or Precision as a daily driver.

Kavya Burramolla
Kavya Burramolla · Dec 20, 2019
Rank C1 - EXPERT

In my opinion Apple has set their benchmark in quality, easy go with customer usability in the market for past many years. People prefer branding over cost these days and that's the main reason why Apple products are very successful in the market. 

Most of us always dream high and work hard to make it true and buying a iPhone was that dream when I was 18 and now I feel happy owning it.

I would also like to share the best features of Apple devices is their clarity in Photography, Video making, fastest response time and many others.

Jai Patel
Jai Patel · Dec 20, 2019
Rank C3 - EXPERT

In my opinion, the one of the most important feature that Apple products offer is security of data.Its produces products to the need of the user and offers best user interface that makes it more attractive than others.Apple products are mainly for professional usage. However, in India we people have made it a social symbol status and lifestyle. 

Thus, apple products are worthy of the price due to its quality, perfection and user friendliness and security offered by the company. However, prices charged for buying certain daily to daily apps from it stores seems to be expensive after paying for the product. 

Sayan Chakraborty
Sayan Chakraborty · Dec 20, 2019
Rank D2 - MASTER

As an Apple user for last 4 to 5 years, I used iPhone 5 and believe me at that time period when budgets phones are not having a such a powerful camera and OS, Apple cellphone is best but now apple is degrading their business as per Forbes report as cost of Apple products are very high resulting a business failure.

As Apple fans are ready to buy any product launched by them at a higher price for there brand value. For such apple freak fans, Apple is very much dedicated to remaining constant on setting their price chart.

In my opinion, if you are a tech freak, Apple products can be an option if you are ready to pay a high price, not a choice.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up