1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

What is your opinion on our new Feed?

Question asked by Kaustubh Katdare in #Coffee Room on Sep 28, 2019
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Sep 28, 2019
CEO @ CrazyEngineers, TEDx Speaker, Guitarist

We are experimenting with a human curated 'feed': Welcome to CrazyEngineers - Global Network of Engineers | CrazyEngineers  at CrazyEngineers. Instead of employing ML and AI to have machines tell us about the updates; we thought it'd be cool if our fellow engineers become the curators of the feed. 

At this time, it's just a basic idea that we're testing (it took us just about 6 hours to launch it; but we think it's super cool!) and it will evolve as we receive feedback from you.

Posted in: #Coffee Room
Kaustubh Katdare

Here's an idea of how we think this will work -

1. We will handpick feed curators; say 100 or 500. 

2. Each updated posted by them will have to be approved by others before the update shows up in the feed for everyone. 

3. We can do this through 'voting' - say a minimum of 20 likes or "yes" will be required and the "No's" will have to no more than 10. We can do this "%" based if the number of curators grows. 

4. In addition, we'll have topic subscriptions; so you will get updates from topics that you are subscribed to; in addition to the general updates for everyone. 

5. We think this will help cut down on crap that we see in most of the feeds on LinkedIn, FB or even Quora. 

6. Most important updates can never be missed and we hope to make the feed the new 'Home' for each one of us.

Thoughts? 

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Sep 28, 2019
Data Scientist

So that means every post ( question) and any reply will not be shown unless it's approved by someone? 

And replies from moderators and oldies will not undergo any mechanism as such? What I mean is we approve a user after looking at his posts and if they are meaningful then we will not monitor his posts at all.

Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath · Sep 28, 2019
Member of CrazyEngineers

@Kaustubh Katdare , there’s a Telugu saying ‘poindhemiti?’, meaning: ‘what’s there to lose?’.

Not all ideas can work all the time in all circumstances.

Definitely worth giving it a good shot.

Is this already running?

Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra · Sep 28, 2019
Be yourself! The world will adjust.

@Kaustubh Katdare Not getting the idea of 'aproved by others' ?

Aswini cse
Aswini cse · Sep 28, 2019
Member of CrazyEngineers

This idea sounds good sir!

The continuous efforts by you and your team to make this CrazyEngineers website more favorable to user are really appreciable  sir !! .

But isn't  the current MY FEED and GLOBAL FEED options are similar to the 4th point ?

I think i failed to understand that point better...? 

Kaustubh Katdare

Okay, let me begin by stating the problem with existing social feeds on Facebook, LinkedIn, Quora and others. 

These feeds are mostly filled with crappy content - like birthday greetings, motivational quotes, useless photos etc. They are good for entertainment; but do not help the user in any way than providing some temporary entertainment. 

We want to fix that by making the feed awesome, useful, entertaining and worthy of your precious time!

How do we do that? Through a simple approach -

First, we will create a team of say 100-500 CEans who will be responsible for sharing content on the feed. This means, not anyone can contribute to the feed which is shown to all the visitors / members of the site. 

When any of the special team member contributes some useful content, it will only be made available to other members of the special team. Other team members will then vote on the content (via likes / dislikes). Once the content reaches say 20% of the positive votes (aka likes) it will be published to everyone.

This should ensure that all the content we see on the feed is always useful, relevant and worth your attention. We can keep expanding the special team to make it more diverse so that we get all types of interesting content. 

Please let me know your thoughts on this. 

Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare · Sep 29, 2019
Team CrazyEngineers

Also, this is the official link to the new site feed -

Welcome to CrazyEngineers - Global Network of Engineers | CrazyEngineers

Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra · Sep 29, 2019

Yeah! Now I am getting it. I think this would work. Let's give it a try

Anoop Mathew
Anoop Mathew · Sep 29, 2019
Technology Consultant | MBA | Engineer | Photographer | Cinematographer | Poet | Writer | Realist

Sounds good. A trial run would give a better idea to everyone with doubts. Idea is to keep the best responses known to people or up-top over to random comments on any post

Anoop Mathew
Technology Consultant | MBA | Engineer | Photographer | Cinematographer | Poet | Writer | Realist

Might be off topic: Now that we have the App, I would like a feature where i have an option to want to start getting notifications when some posts are being shared on topics i may have subscribed to.

Anoop Mathew

Again off topic: Waiting for search feature on app. Eg: Want to find startup from Founders Circuit specific to Tech, but currently have to manually search through the list. Search could include keywords commonly searched with reference to the company like Company Name, Person's Name, Domain, Technology, Language, etc

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Sep 29, 2019

@Anoop Mathew - you've made excellent observations. We're still working on the possibilities of making the feed really awesome for everyone. There are several ideas on the platter and we want to pick them up wisely. 

1. Best content contributed by our members will be made visible to everyone who lands on the feed. 

2. App - needs a lot of improvement. We are considering adding it to Android Play Store so that the install process is straightforward. Yes, notifications for new content is an excellent idea and it's already on the list. 

3. Search is coming. I think we'll move it to top priority (tagging @Ankita Katdare ). It requires us to move to a new server because only then we'll be able to make the search almost "Google Like". We've a demo running on local servers; but kept delaying implementation because it requires moving over to a new server. We'll make it work, hopefully within this week. 

4. We are slowly moving towards a 'ranking system' for our fellow members where we'll recognize our members through ranks. It's so embarrassing that we haven't had any system to recognize the contributions of our most amazing members. We're currently working on it; and the first private beta should be out in the next few days. 

Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath · Sep 29, 2019
Member of CrazyEngineers

When I clicked on the ‘view project’ button on @Ankita Katdare post at the new site feed, I get a ‘page not found’ message.

Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare · Sep 30, 2019
Team CrazyEngineers

Yes, it is an URL related bug. It's not pasting the whole URL in the feed. @Kaustubh Katdare will be fixing it today.

Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra · Oct 1, 2019

Recognizing the contribution of members would be amazing!

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up