1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

What is your opinion on new CrazyEngineers updates?

Question asked by Kaustubh Katdare in #Coffee Room on Nov 27, 2019
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Nov 27, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Yesterday, we launched an upgraded version of CrazyEngineers. While it may look like a visual upgrade, it's much more than that. Let me give you a quick update on what's going on CrazyEngineers and why it matters. 

We rewrote entire HTML!

You might have noticed that the activity on CrazyEngineers went down drastically in the recent past. We noticed that our content's ranks dropped in Google searches. 

Several weeks ago, we began investigating what really went wrong; and discovered what we'd call "SEO Disaster". While writing the code for our new site; we had made several mistakes that search engines do not like.

We made it our #1 priority to fix all those errors and also adopt a simple HTML structure for all future updates. 

For most of the past ~2-2.5 months; we were rewriting entire HTML (and it's several thousand lines of code). We are happy with what we've achieved. Hopefully the search engines will respond and restore our traffic. 

That said, there are lots of screws that are not in place; and we need your help!

We need your help!

If you find anything that is not working as expected, please bring it to our attention. It will be a lot of help!

Groups Update: Post question in up-to 3 groups!

We made a little change to the ways Groups behave. A question can now be posted in several groups of your choice - and it will be visible to all the members of those groups. Which means there will be better chances of discovering new content and responding to queries.

Over the next few days, we are going to shorten the names of existing groups and introduce more groups. Let us know your suggestions. 

What's Next?

In December, we'll see our ranking system go live and we are announcing several internships, volunteering opportunities on CrazyEngineers. We'll also have competitions and initiatives. 

If you have questions, please post them below.

PS: User tagging system (@mentions) and search is coming soon!

Posted in: #Coffee Room
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Nov 27, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Update:

An important part of the latest update is that all discussions started in groups will strictly have to be "Questions". Also, unless the discussion has significant content; we'll not want Google to index it. 

We've a curated feed coming up really soon. Content shared from other websites can be put into feed. An announcement detailing the same will be posted on our official blog very soon. 

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Nov 28, 2019
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Looking like a very good upgrade. But the Related questions looks like is not working as expected at all.

Is this just random or you guys using some algorithm for the same? 

Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath · Nov 28, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Quite often a discussion starts from a presentation or statements. Why should discussions have to be initiated as questions?

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Nov 29, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

@saandeep - It was quite an upgrade. A very large and necessary upgrade to help gain our organic search rankings back. In the process, we also changed the way groups work. 

Typically, the related questions are picked from the groups that a discussion belongs to (we now support having the same question in multiple groups). The problem is that we've large number of discussions still belonging to the "Coffee Room". Hence, most of the relevant discussions are pulled from that group. 

It should get fixed over time as we have more discussions.

@Ramani Sir - That is right. We welcome all sorts of questions; except the content that's shared from other websites. From now on, we'll stick to strictly problem solving on the groups; and all the casual shares / questions will go into our curated feed - which is launching over the next few days. 

We'll look into evolving this - perhaps maybe dedicating "Coffee Room" discussions to all sorts of questions / non-questions. Does that look like a good idea? 

Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath · Nov 29, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

"We'll look into evolving this - perhaps maybe dedicating "Coffee Room" discussions to all sorts of questions / non-questions. Does that look like a good idea?"

@Kausthub Katdare,  Quite. Way to go.

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Nov 29, 2019
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Note: The CE app is broken. Its going to 404 page.

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Nov 29, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

The app will not function. We're upgrading it and launching newer version soon. Please uninstall it from your mobile and desktop. We'll put out a notice when the app is ready to install. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

Shivam Sharma
Shivam Sharma · Dec 8, 2019
Rank D2 - MASTER

The new leaderboard and points system looks kick-ass. Look forward to participating and building my rank.

Waiting for an official update.

saandeep sreerambatla
saandeep sreerambatla · Dec 9, 2019
Rank C2 - EXPERT

Point system good , waiting for the rules and system at which the points are allocated or calculated which helps in building up good discussions. 

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Dec 9, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Thank you, Saandeep. We're preparing a small guide that talks about the new points and ranking system. It should be up really soon. There are a few bugs we are working to fix. If you have suggestions, please send them over. 

Abhishek Rawal
Abhishek Rawal · Dec 9, 2019
Rank A2 - PRO

I like it. Good work team.

When I use two finger scroll in 1366x768p system, I could observe some elements re-structuring (Chromium). Everything is fine at 1920x1080p.

By the way, you guys migrated website to AWS ?

Kaustubh Katdare
Rank A1 - PRO

Thank you, Abhishek. We're on AWS since the launch of new website in May 2018. However, our free credits are due to expire and we'll soon move over to DigitalOcean. 

We are now using entirely new CSS and it may have bugs. Could you share more details over email / private conversation? 

Edit: We've fixed a bug with the leaderboard that showed up banned spammers and newly registered users on it. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Abhishek Rawal
Abhishek Rawal · Dec 9, 2019
Rank A2 - PRO

Sent you message, Kaustubh.

Kaustubh Katdare
Rank A1 - PRO

Just a note - we're working on improving the points system. Your feedback is welcome. Right now, points can be obtained for replying to questions - whether the answer is meaningful or not. However, if the mod removes that post - then the points get deleted. 

We'll soon release a list of activities that earn points. In addition, we'll soon have more activities added to the list that'll generate points for each member. 

Suggestions and feedback are all welcome. 

Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare · Dec 9, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

I am looking at UI related bugs. Please report if you find anything misplaced or not functioning. We are super excited about the arrival of this much-awaited points system.

Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra · Dec 12, 2019
Rank C3 - EXPERT

@kaustubh katdare: Sir I have discussed an url related problem with you where the url was showing different results rather than 404 error.

In between i have checked that url again and it seems sorted because it redirect the user from that url to 404 error page.

But now that problem comes again. Again it's showing same black page rather than error page.

@ankita katdare: Ma'am I am using google chrome in my android phone. When I enter in message section and open chat with some user i have talked before, It opens the chat but when i scroll down or up it shows the background is also moving up down with scroll. Sometimes it behave like chat room is in stable condition and only background is moving with scroll. 

I think this is the problem of CSS. Either it is not working properly or something like both the tasks(chatroom and background) are working on same scroll.

Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra · Dec 12, 2019
Rank C3 - EXPERT

I will be back with my suggestions for the point system. I have some.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up