1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

What is wringing of slip gauges?

Question asked by Kedar Malwadkar in #Mechanical on Jul 23, 2012
Kedar Malwadkar
Kedar Malwadkar 路 Jul 23, 2012
Rank C1 - EXPERT

Hello, I am Kedar and I am a crazy Mechanical engineer. I wanted to know what exactly is Wringing of slip gauges? I would appreciate if someone explained the process here. Thanks in advance.

Posted in: #Mechanical
zaveri
zaveri 路 Jul 23, 2012
Rank A3 - PRO
Slip gauges are high-precision measuring instruments, used for testing, inspection along with comparators.

Wringing is nothing, but removing the atmospheric air between two mating surfaces of any two gauge blocks, so that the blocks stick to each other due to vaccum.

to do this, hold the two blocks edge-to -edge, and gently push one of the blocks inside so as to make it sit on the other block, completely.
white_hat
white_hat 路 Jul 23, 2012
Rank C3 - EXPERT
Kedar Malwadkar
what is Wringing of slip guages?
You should check out TRIMOS.Google it to find out more.
Measurement labs do not use slip gauges any more,for high precision measurements trimos is used.
Kedar Malwadkar
Kedar Malwadkar 路 Jul 24, 2012
Rank C1 - EXPERT
white_hat
You should check out TRIMOS.Google it to find out more.
Measurement labs do not use slip gauges any more,for high precision measurements trimos is used.
might be, but it's in our syllabus so i need to read that!!!馃榾馃槈馃槑
Kedar Malwadkar
Kedar Malwadkar 路 Jul 24, 2012
Rank C1 - EXPERT
Thanks for the help guys!
Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra 路 Jan 25, 2020
Rank B2 - LEADER

Definition: A slip gauge is a measuring instrument which is used to measure the distance or gap between two join blocks/mesh gear.

We have a range of slip gauges between 0.5 to 100mm.

But sometimes when we have to measure a distance for which the range of slip gauge does not exist then, in this case, we need to stuck two slip gauges of the appropriate range together for measurement. And that stuck operation of two slip gauges is known as wringing of slip gauges.

I hope it helps!

Karshil Sheth
Karshil Sheth 路 Jan 26, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

It is because of an important feature of gauge blocks is that they can be joined together with very little dimensional uncertainty. The blocks are joined by a sliding process called聽wringing, which causes their ultra-flat surfaces to cling together.

This is done when you're required to use two gauge blocks on order to match the measurable dimension. For example; 6.25 mm keyway width need to be measured, unfortunately there is no direct 6.25 mm slip gauge in our set. So you need to use multiple slips, I'll take 5 mm + 1.25 mm to ensure that there is no gap or minimum uncertainty vwringing is done by placing measuring face of one slip gauge on the measuring face of the other then by keeping one fixed and rotating the other with some force gives you a gripping bond between them. This process is called wringing.

Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
Rank A2 - PRO

The slip gauges were mainly used to qualify gauges that was used to inspect gaps,width,thickness,etc. The slip gauges were available in Many standard sizes. The required size can be attained by wringing two to three slips together.

For example,if i want to check a specification of 10.125

I can choose various options as follows,

1)slip (8+1.10+1.125)

2)slip(6+3.1+1.125)

To join the three slips, the slipsedges were pressed together and squeezed to make a temporary clubbing.similarly, third slip will be clubbed to the previously clubbed slip.

Durgesh Srivastava
Durgesh Srivastava 路 Jan 31, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

When one slip gauge is placed over another, some air gap is present in between them. 聽This air gap will affect the accuracy of the measurement. 聽So we need to avoid this air gap. 聽The process of removal of air is called 聽wringing.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up